Had enough of Whitting yet?

Everyone likes to direct the focus on other things like pitching coaches, recruiting coordinators and past winning percentages.

As I’ve asked before - Why is it acceptable to have an irrelevant baseball program at the University of Houston?

The MEDIOCRITY continues…

7 Likes

It’s embarrassing at this point. But I’ve been lectured by those who know more than me that we’re an elite college baseball program.

6 Likes

He definitely should be on the hot seat… There’s no reason to be this bad in a city filled with young baseball players that play in leagues year round.

5 Likes

We are not recruiting up to par…that simple. We used to have top pitching staffs but no more…

5 Likes

The desire not to allow fans in makes more sense now.

12 Likes

Our conference play has been miserable.

His leash is getting shorter.

2 Likes

I haven’t been following the baseball program like I should but the record speaks for itself. It’s definitely time to go in a different direction.

5 Likes

I think we just dont have the talent to compete. Theres nobody in our lineup/pitching staff that sticks out and makes me say “that dude can play.” The days of Wong, Schiner, Davis, Lockhart, Julks, Romero, Lantrip, Survance, Montemayor etc are long gone. Nobody on this roster is draft worthy in my opinion

The buck stops with Whitting. There is plenty of talent on this roster. This years recruiting class was ranked high. Whitting makes the lineup and plays the same players that he has continued to lose with. Whitting has focused on the players that he deems having the most “potential” based on draft stock. A good coach knows that the most talent on the field doesn’t always make the best team. Most other colleges platooned players in and out of non conference games to really see what they had instead of sticking to the select few. Now, when he needs to make some changes, he is throwing kids out there that haven’t had many live innings on the mound or at bats. He is also leaving a lot of talent on the bench. He started out rocky last year and is still using most of the same players, with a few exceptions, as he did last year. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. There are several recruits from juco that we are wasting on the bench. They should have had the opportunity to gain some experience prior to conference play like most other colleges did. Whitting has a few players that he will continue to play regardless of their performance. There are kids playing that he thinks he has to have defensively, but can’t hit and they know it. It is an automatic out when they step to the plate. Everybody wants to blame pitching. You also have to score runs to win games too. He has blinders on. It is not a lack of talent on the roster. It is a lack of using all of the talent that you have. He may need to start focusing on next year if he doesn’t turn this around.

5 Likes

Uncle! Uncle!

2 Likes

It seems that every year in the pre-season, we are going to Omaha, then we start out REAL slow and then have to make a run. This year, we are in too deep.

This season is over

2 Likes

Time to start looking forward to football season gonna be a long 4 months

2 Likes

Go Stros!

3 Likes

That’s Einstein’s definition of insanity… Not the actual definition… Lol

1 Like

In answer to original post, yes.

1 Like

I think the reason some of us has directed comments about making pitching changes started a few years ago. We had seen real success with CTW at the helm and having an excellent coaching staff who he relied on. We then lost Frank our pitching coach and then one of our best recruiters moved on. We were hoping that Whitting would get some great replacements! Now several years later the baseball staff keeps talking about the past success! This can be a powerhouse baseball program, but new leadership is needed!!!

5 Likes

Still got Track and Field to look forward to. Men currently ranked #11. Not quite where we were a couple years ago, but I hope we can make a little noise there… The freshman from South Africa may be our next great sprinter.

3 Likes

We should hire Biggio or Berkman!!

Or the guy from Major League.

1 Like