Happy Juneteeth

Happy Juneteenth Coog Fans!

May our society start to use this day to begin to heal, address our racial issues and tensions and allow us to find that road and journey to far more racial and ethnic harmony and justice for all in our future.

Actually, taking the day off with the family, our CEO made it a company holiday a few weeks ago.

Proud to say our Great State of Texas was the first state in the country to make it a state holiday back in the early 80s in recognition of the Texas slaves being set free in Galveston.

Here is the history:

https://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm

1 Like

I’ve known about Juneteenth my whole life but I never really embraced it like I am going to this year.

1 Like

No you haven’t. Nobody knew about it until a few days ago… :roll_eyes: :disappointed_relieved: :rage:

I’ve been aware of it since I was a kid, but not something we celebrated in my family. And sadly, not something that my parents would celebrate today.

This is besides the point, but I think my first exposure was hearing about the Juneteenth concerts back in the 80s, with some amazing lineups. Lightnin Hopkins, Big Mama Thornton, Eddie “Cleanhead” Vinson, Johnny Copeland, Albert Collins and the Icebreakers, Rockin’ Dopsie, Buckwheat Zydeco, Albert King, John Lee Hooker, Big Walter Price, Koko Taylor, Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown…

3 Likes

I think it is pretty awesome that a Texas Holiday has become a national holiday over time. We should always strive to be the leaders in all things good and wholesome.

3 Likes

Happy Juneteeth to All. I am celebrating this day because it has always been a day of Celebration in my family but most importantly, it is my daughter (and future Coog) sixth Birthday (A special shout out to my princess)!!!

4 Likes

Happy Juneteenth to all!

1 Like

Happy Birthday to your daughter and Happy Juneteenth to you and your family, and as Law says, to ALL!

1 Like

Happy birthday to your daughter, DD. It’s my daughter’s birthday too. But, she’s 19…and a UH Coog that finished her freshman year!

2 Likes

Wow, congrats! Hope she have a wonderful birthday!

1 Like