Hardaway: G-League ‘almost like tampering’

Penny Hardaway says it is “almost like tampering” for the G-League to be recruiting players who have already committed to or signed with colleges… (including Jalen Green who) said he would’ve landed at Memphis had he not picked the G-League for a reported $500,000

1 Like

I think there are too many kids pretending to be college students, while they play basketball, that never graduate, just taking enough easy courses to stay eligible. Too many use up their eligibility while fostering unrealistic dreams of playing pro ball somewhere. I think the coaches that recruit those kids do them and their colleges a disservice.

It would be much better for those kids to have a way to try out for some kind of pro league right out of high school that would let them know they have no future in pro ball. Then they could go on with either pursuing a real college education or a marketable skill. For some reason, working in a trade has been looked down upon when our country depends on those skilled workers who build and maintain the things that keep our country running.

I think the following article gives a good argument to bringing back vocational training in high schools.

1 Like

I guess Penny needs to step up and pay his players more.

6 Likes

I feel sure, being at Memphis, he will give it the old college try :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Bigger moving vans?

2 Likes

I think many schools recruit kids that will never graduate and they keep them eligible. In some cases, they just give them a degree, UNC comes to mind.

1 Like

Penny knows what he is talking about.

3 Likes

This is sour grapes from losing Jalen Green imo. Kids still have the option to go to college if they want to. A couple guys have turned the G league down already. If you going to recruit elite prospects this is part of the deal.

3 Likes

Agree. If you are UK, Memphis, Duke, UNC this adds a new competitor vs the other 99% of college programs that are recruiting kids that are not one and done. Not saying we (and others) don’t want that kind of elite talent but it isn’t how we have built the success of our program.

5 Likes

Agreed – this will affect the top 5 or so programs – and level the playing field for us

As a result – I see better chances for the Coogs going deep in the NCAA Tournament

4 Likes

I think the G League caught those schools off guard. Don’t worry, they will start out bidding the G League like UT.

3 Likes

Come on Ron…

UT is University of Tennessee

ut is the school I think you are referring to😎.

3 Likes

So the G-League needs to quit telling people they have a well-paying job and an immediate opening…because, well, just because. That makes sense.

3 Likes

I’m lookiong forward to playing Memphis.

I really don’t want one and done players. I want players who will stick around long enough to sustain the program, not starting over every year. I’m also naive enough to believe college sports should have actual students working toward a degree; not someone taking the minimum to stay eligible through the 1st semester, so he can play the 2nd. In the 2nd semester, a lot of these kids barely, if ever, go to class because as soon as the season is over they are gone.

1 Like