Has UGone Made it Official?

Don’t they have to move by July 1?

They don’t have the official Big East invite yet.

Football is UDone.

1 Like

I think the invite was offered. Don’t think UConn BOT has approved. Interesting time for such a major change. From their message board, looks like the current Prez is retiring with new one not on board yet. Interim head of the BOT. If this fails, there won’t be anyone left except the AD to blame

They are supposed to announce on Thursday.

No timeline. They have to give 27 months or they owe $12.5M instead of $10M. No matter what, they aren’t giving 27 months.

I thought it was Monday when these things happened.

1 Like

"Typical procedure would be for UConn next to submit to the American Athletic Conference its intention to withdraw from the league. With that normally comes a payment of 25-percent of the $10 million withdrawal fee — $2.5 million. It will also start the clock on the 27-month period UConn has to withdraw. That 27-month time frame is almost certain to be lessened through negotiations.

However, the $10 million exit fee isn’t likely to decrease and, in fact, will almost certainly increase.

The move will be initially costly for UConn. There’s the exit fee. There’s the probability that UConn won’t be fully-vested in the Big East 12-year, $500 million TV contract with Fox Sports right off the bat. And what happens if UConn loses its case with Kevin Ollie and has to pay him nearly $11 million?"

I’m glad they are gone but there is an insane quality to this move.
At least $10 million to leave plus $2.5 million to join BE and not even a full Fox payout (for much less $$$ than new AAC deal) for years. (reportedly)
Add what they owe Kevin Ollie…Its a tough path they are taken to get back to an awesome/college bb dominating BE that really doesn’t exist anymore.
https://twitter.com/ManthonyCourant/status/1143230575651753984

4 Likes

Wow…this is truly Amateur Hour at UCONN.
I feel sorry for their fans…

5 Likes

Both of them?

6 Likes

Monday they got the invite. They still have to accept the offer. Then they will announce.

1 Like
1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1143932948720291840

1 Like

It has been Udone for a many years.

1 Like

Seems to me this only makes genuine financial sense if they drop football altogether. What’s the difference for them at this point?

Here’s a funny…when you look up ‘conference ratings’…on most websites they list “Independents” as if they were their own conference…and manytimes, since there are so few of them, the “Independents” rate higher as a group than AAC football. With the addition of UConn as an independent…those days are over. LOL.

2 Likes

I laughed out loud when I read having UConn leave will immediately boost the remaining football teams SOS…lol

2 Likes

The AAC’s Realtime RPI “index” from last year was 23.67 last year with UConn…take them out and it goes up to 24.34

UConn would seem to be all in on the BE and done w any thought of moving up.

$30 million exit fee if they leave the BE within 6 years of joining. 2020 probably the join date but they have until 2022.

Also:
$3.5 million to join BE.
The early exit AAC fee without full notice probably $12 million.

BE needs another school. Fox TV-payout goes up alot at 12.
I would think St Louis or Dayton. Fit the bill as urban catholic schools.

1 Like

Wait, so UConn leaves the AAC’s 7 million to earn 4 million in NBE, agrees to get locked in to 30 million exit fee by catholic schools who will probably make their life difficult , agrees to kill its football program, no chance at power conference, no CFP money. How could this possibly make sense ?

Darwin Lives !!!