HBU

According to Randy McIllvoy, who interviewed him today, Berkman wasn’t interested in the Rice job after what happened three years ago in Rice’s previous search.

I think this could be a really good fit for HBU. I don’t think top houston area high school players really think twice about playing there, like they would at Rice or UH. This places a legitimate face to their program that has credibility. Players and most importantly parents know who Berkman is.

2 Likes

Rice passed on Berkman because he appeared in a political ad for the bathroom bill a few years ago. “Academia” can’t bear for anyone to have any semblance of a religious instinct.

6 Likes

That’s BS. It seems like most coaches are religious. Noble certainly was–outwardly so.

Maybe Rice didn’t want to hire a bigot?

5 Likes

You’re overstating again. I can only think of two examples of this: Dana and Sampson.

At a minimum, we’re batting .500 on these hires. I think most of us would count the Sampson hire as a good one. IMO, Dana is still to be determined, but others apparently disagree.

To clarify a lot of our hires away from coaching people want to hire from a P5 based on assumption they know more

We’ve given Sampson a lot to be successful and it has paid off. No biggie there but dynamics are different in hoops.

We could’ve saved way more cash and got a hot G5 coach or so based on what we’ve seen with football so far

As for baseball - it’s about coaching more than anything as 11.7 scholarships limits things. Would you be opposed to hiring a Southland coach if TW is gone?

1 Like

Not at all. In most cases, we’re hiring a top assistant or a coach from a lower-level program. Dana and Samp are unusual.

A lot of folks mention Sean Allen. I don’t want to hire a coach just because they are an alumnus. That’s dumb. However, I’m pretty sure Sean has been coaching since his playing days ended about 20 years ago. He’s worked for well regarded coaches at top-level programs. To me, he should be a legitimate candidate.

But I hope we look around. We should look at coaches, head and assistants, from other programs.

Like it or not, I can’t see us spending a bunch of money to try to hire away someone from a program from a big-money conference.

But we’ve hired good assistants and former coaches in the past. And we’ve missed badly at times. Uncle Dave was good at this. I hope Pez is, as well.

2 Likes

These posts make it seem like TW resigned or something. Did I miss an announcement.
I think he still the Coach but I could have slept through it. :thinking:

Are you saying that Berkman is a bigot on that basis, and, as such, that HBU hired a bigot when it hired Berkman?

Also, if you are saying that, then should that, in your opinion, rule Berkman out as a hypothetical future UH head coaching candidate?

Just asking for the record.

he needs to resign if this crap keeps up lol

the toilet is already in need of repair. :confounded:

Looks like they have plans to address that:
https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1399750451860492288

1 Like

I liked the Whitting hire, and still have some faith in him. If The University wants to go in a different direction, Coach Allen would be a great hire… I got to know him back in '05 during a showcase tournament at UofH. My son was so impressed with him that he almost decommitted from UT ( I did my best to make that happen) He’s been following David Pierce the last 9 or 10 years. He has been at Texas since '16. He is their recruiting coordinator and currently is the pitching coach. He’s done a real good job for the Longhorns, as he did here at UH, Sam, and Tulane.

2 Likes

tenor

1 Like

Just want best coach that is going to come in guns blazing, be they from SLC, SunBelt, CUSA, etc. I do think Coach Allen would be a great hire as he’s proven record at all his stops…that he played here during some good times is just a cherry on top.

1 Like

The thing I like about Allen is that he seems to be a good recruiter. I think it’s important for whoever/whenever the next coach comes in to be a good recruiter, so that we can keep a standout pitcher like Ty Madden home and not have them go out of town.

1 Like

But don’t finances come into play also? All baseball players are paying something so they’ll be more apt to make a different decision than a normal full ride athlete.

1 Like

Sure. So other factors are important in recruiting: great coaching, great teammates, great school, winning tradition, players drafted/playing in MLB, close to home (or far away for some kids) and things like that I’d guess.

Probably no kid is getting a full ride. A state school should have some advantage over a private school insofar as money goes because it’s less that the player is responsible for.

But I feel pretty certain most kids want to go where they want to go–meaning, they’re paying something out of pocket no matter where they go, so might as well go to a program they root for, respect, or is in the best position to help them to the next step. Track is a good example, a sport also with limited scholarships.

1 Like

When was the last time we hired a coach that didn’t have ties to the program (either as former player or assistant)?

2021 was an interesting season: 2 major jobs open in Texas: Rice and A&M.

The UH baseball job has had 3 head coaches in the last 34 years, its a pretty stable job.

Major D1 programs in Texas do not have head jobs come up very often:

TCU: 3 coaches in last 34 years
Rice: 3 coaches in last 40 years
A&M: 3 coaches in last 62 years
Texas: 3 coaches in last 53 years
Baylor: 3 coaches in last 47 years
Tech: 3 coaches in last 34 years