Head coach Bill Yeoman

I know it’s all about $$ for naming rights but I feel coach was the person who put UH on the map in football and was our Bear Bryant. I would love the football stadium to be called Yeoman Stadium.

7 Likes

They’ll name something, but they sure as heck aren’t giving up any income doing so. We need every penny!

2 Likes

There is already Yeoman hall…so I doubt they’d have a second name

2 Likes

Yup…slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I can see them maybe naming the covered practice facility after him but not the actual Stadium. $$ Talk!!

1 Like

Yeoman Field House works for me. Sounds like you are ready to work.

2 Likes

Yep, I think that would be perfect way to honor a Legend in UH Athletics.

1 Like

It still bugs the heck out of me that they tore down the building that had been named after Harry Fouke. And then they built another main building for athletics, and the money was donated for that building by John Moores, who did not want it named for himself; so, instead of naming that new building for Harry Fouke, they named it “The Athletics/Alumni Building.” I hate that NON-NAME, and I cannot seem to find ANYONE who will listen to my complaints!

We would not even HAVE an athletic department if it had not been for Harry Fouke; and he hired some of the greatest coaches in our history: Bill Yeoman, Guy V. Lewis, Dave Williams, etc. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A BUILDING NAMED AFTER HARRY FOUKE?

6 Likes

You are 100% correct. Fouke was instrumental in every aspect of Athletics at UH…

1 Like

What if UH ran another ‘Here, we go!’ campaign to raise money and vote on a possible three names.

The Cage
Yeoman Stadium
Cougar Fields

what the Fouke!

1 Like

I think the entire area bounded by wheeler, cullen, elgin, and scott (except for the apartments south of tdecu) should be named Harry Fouke Athletic Complex.

5 Likes

Here is something some of y’all might remember…As the Aggie Football World Turns | Houston's Clear Thinkers

Take what happened in 1978, for example.

A&M head coach Emory Bellard, the originator of the Wishbone offense while serving as Darrell Royal’s offensive coordinator at Texas in the late 1960’s, had been hired by A&M in 1972 to resurrect the floundering Aggie football program.

By the 1978 season, Bellard had led the Aggies to three straight bowl games and the Aggies seemed poised to become a national power that season.

By week five of the 1978 season, Bellard’s Aggies were rolling at 4-0 and were rated no. 6 in the Associated Press Top 20 poll.

Bellard was reaching the pinnacle of his popularity at A&M as the Ags prepared to face Houston, which had not been particularly impressive and had lost in their first game of the season to a Memphis State team that the Ags had crushed at home 58-0 a couple of weeks earlier. Moreover, the week before, the Coogs had barely beaten winless Baylor, 20-18.

Thousands of Aggies descended on Houston’s Astrodome fully expecting the Aggies to continue their winning ways over the underdog Cougars.

Unfortunately for the Ags, Houston head coach Bill Yeoman, one of the brightest and most creative college football coaches of his time, had put together a brilliant game plan for this particular game.

Taking advantage of the Aggies unbridled over-aggressiveness, Yeoman devised a series of traps, draw plays and screen passes to supplement his famous Veer option attack that utterly befuddled the Aggies. In the meantime, an aroused Cougar defense stuffed the vaunted Aggie Wishbone and never allowed it to get untracked.

By halftime, the unranked Cougars led the no. 6 team in the country 33-0 and the large Aggie contingent in the Astrodome was absolutely stunned. Neither team scored in the 2nd half and the game ended, Houston 33 Texas A&M 0.

Back in those days, most head coaches supplemented their salaries by conducting a show the day after the game in which they went over the film highlights of the previous game. Bellard’s show the Sunday after the Houston upset was absolutely brutal.

Bellard addressed the camera by himself with no studio host to toss him some softball questions to defuse the anxiety of the humbling defeat. With literally no highlights of Aggie plays from the debacle, Coach Bellard was left to reviewing various Houston highlights from the game and explaining what the Aggie players did wrong in allowing the Cougar players to perform such feats. Coach Bellard looked haggard and utterly demoralized.

After watching the show with me, my late father turned to me and observed: “I hope Mrs. Bellard has removed all guns and sharp objects from their home for awhile.”

At any rate, the Ags dropped to no. 12 after the Houston game and began preparations for their next game against an 0-5 Baylor team that had played one of the toughest schedules in the country.

3 Likes

Respectfully…we should not rename the stadium and forfeit the naming rights revenue.

Coach Yeoman worked hard to build our brand and I’m pretty confident that he would not want us to make sentimental decisions which would be counter productive to ensuring the success of our athletic programs.

We already have a statue in his honor, which will be even more enduring to the eyes and hearts of Cougar fans as they gaze upon it and remember his outstanding contribution to the University of Houston.