Hell yeah! - BOOOOOOOOM!

Because the recruiting agencies are such shams! It’s a business…

MegaBOOM! Welcome to the UofH family, Mr. Jones!!

1 Like

We’re G5 and don’t have the pull that P5 programs have. It’s also why you have to take any statistical ranking system with a grain of salt if it includes recruiting rankings as part of the method to rank (Connelly, ESPNs FPI).

1 Like

His ranking hasn’t dropped, on 247 he was and is still a 3 star. On ESPN, he was and still is a 4 star.

2 Likes

Alan is correct, he has been a three star on 247, but by only a fraction of a point. Essentially he is about as high a three star as you can be.

1 Like

Agree, 13/14 offers from P5’s are not a coincidence. This is major recruit for us. To uta and atm this is quite a statement to them.

1 Like

http://www.g-spotsports.com/articles/madison-prep-de-bryan-jones-commits-to-the-university-of-houston/

Jones is 1 of the best defensive ends I have evaluated the last two years in the state & the fact that LSU never offered this kid is mind boggling to me. “Not being offered by my hometown school has definitely fueled me to show them what they missed out the next 3 to 4 years,” Jones said.

1 Like

Our goal should be to be the best G5 university in the nation.

Don’t aim so low, plus that leaves us rooting against other "G5"s. I would love to be the leader in a group of schools that turns all the marketing labels on their heads.

2 Likes

Aim higher, it. UH needs to be the best University for a student athlete to want to come. I would rather be in a P5, but since we’re not, we need to find creative ways to promote UH. And it starts with winning BIG.

2 Likes

I got your point. Being the best G5 team is actually a big deal. It puts us into a NY6 bowl every year. And it gets UH a ton of publicity annually. That plays big time into recruiting. After a couple of those NY6 games no one will even blink at UH making the 4-team playoff.

No, it doesn’t come with the big bucks but UH does become a national brand, not unlike what Boise did. Don’t lose site of the fact that UH is all about positioning ourselves for the next round of realignment, in about 3 more years when all that ESPN loot dries up. There will quite likely be some P5 programs that get dropped in the realignment and some programs like UH, Boise and San Diego State that get promoted. And I intentionally listed UH first because it will be UH and “the rest” of the pack. So, being at the top of the G5 isn’t a bad deal at all.

This is a great way to set yourself up for failure. Let me give you another example. If you were a small business making Tacos. Would you compare yourself to TacoBell in sales and payroll? No. Why not? Because you are not in the same league. You would feel defeated and give up. However, if you compared yourself to another like competitor then it would make sense or compare to last years results. I think you get my drift. We are G5 and should aspire to be the best G5 program we can be. Win conf and win NY6 bowl. That is what we have to do.

It’s easy to overlook the other DL commits, but the reality is UH hit the big time with those recruits. Joe Anderson is an impact player, and Noah Jones from North Texas will likely challenge for a starting position as a freshman. Can we start talking about the “Jones Boys”? All in all UH’s defensive line depth is darn impressive and will bring quite a few games in the win column for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jenniferaucoin/status/827272831528427525

2 Likes

The top two rated athletes being from Louisiana gives HtownTakeover a different meaning for them.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be neat if seeing that helped us grab one or top top LA prospects a year. Most athletes don’t get their own billboard even when they are a starting player. These guys just got that kind of representation while still in HS.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougars/status/827532957321687041

1 Like

It’s great for recruiting in the state of Louisiana… I love the digital billboards with the extra exposure for UH.

This is genius. We are telling our recruits how much we appreciate them and we are doing it where their family, their friends, AND their team mates can see it.

4 Likes

We usually grab a few players every year from Louisiana. I believe Stevenson was from there last year and Trevon Stewart was from there as well.

Used to grab a lot more when Jason Phillips was on the staff and Brandon Middleton as well, but CMA is from Baton Rouge so it may pick up again.

1 Like