Herman continues his loving ways

how many coordinators has nick saban lost in his career? he seems to be doing fine. herman is smart enough to hire another good dc.

I see your comparison…Herman = Saban !!!

Now that is FUNNY !!!

5 Likes

Don’t forget that Herman was playing patty cakes with South Carolina during his first year here. They thought they had a deal until he backed out at the last second. Someone probably whispered in his ear that the Texas job would be coming open.

3 Likes

There was an Interview where applewhite said he doesn’t do a lot of yelling because you need to be able to distinguish the difference. BUT there’s also that one thing with the Tampa bay player who said his coach was coaching. So I guess to each their own style. There hasn’t been reported as many concussions here which Is always a good thing. But let him do it at Texas where it matters :expressionless:

2 Likes

wasn’t comparing. I’m saying good hc’s find replacements. I’m confident herman will find one when Orlando leaves to be a hc somewhere.

I think it’s the offense he needs to be worried about lol…lets face it the offenses he coached the last couple years (UH and Year one at Texas) were mediocre to say the best.

4 Likes

the offense wasn’t mediocre here. sure we had trouble running the ball but it was still a good offense. if it was mediocre then idk what the hell our offense last year with Applewhite was.

There was a significant drop off from year 2 to year 1. In 2016 we were 42nd in total offense and this last year we were 40th. Granted the 2016 offense was more efficient but not by much.
My point if that trend continues he’s in for another mediocre season at Texas.

1 Like

I think it would be pretty cool if Herman has another mediocre year at UT.

The talent level alone should keep that from happening unless he completely botches coaching the talent he has a la Levine.

1 Like

You are presuming that CTH is a good head coach. His record to date does not justify that.

The book is still out on his coaching ability. Time will tell.

As to Orlando, I wonder if he really wants to be a head coach. He may just like what he doing. He is getting well paid for it…last I remember $1.8 Mil this year.

Easy…LESS than Mediocre !!!

he wanted the uh hc job. honestly he should have been the hire.

and herman is a good hc…

year 1 here was the best year in UH history since Bill Yeoman was coaching. Think about that for a second.

1 Like

Agree it was the best record, but I think the '88 and '89 teams were better. Competition was tougher.

4 Likes

I love Orlando but he wasn’t a big recruiter for us and didn’t really have any Texas high school connections. We do know that he would’ve hired dnofrio who I know your not a huge fan of.

The job and the people manning the job has changed over my life. There are very few Yeomans anymore and there are a ton of Hermans now.

1 Like

i actually think he would have hired a coaching staff with texas connections. he is a pretty smart guy.

1 Like

Think a lot of this is Herms painting the guys who left as abondoning their teammates in order to build an “us vs them” mentality. He’s great at building that underdog mentality and it worked wonders his first year here…and even the 2nd when we knocked off OU and Louisville.

The question is whether he can get guys motivated when they aren’t underdogs or up against the ropes. He had issues here and the Horns had issues last year with that as well. In my opinion, thats where his youth and head coaching inexperience hurts him as he just hasn’t learned how to balance motivation yet and the folks in Austin aren’t going to put up with bad losses for long.

The other question is how long it takes him to find a QB that can actually succeed in the RPO offense he’s running. I think most defenses have figured out the RPO and it takes extraordinary talent and QB IQ to succeed in it. Even Ohio State has struggled offensively over the last few years trying to run it. If you don’t have that QB (see UH prior to King last year) it can get ugly fast.

8 Likes

The '90 team had a better record and finished ranked higher than those 2 teams. Don’t know that the 90 team was better than 89 but I think it was better than 88

Defensive play fell off a lot on that 90 team after Jim Eddy and Pardee left. He took the entire Defensive staff.

The 90’s team was fun to watch, but they were pretty much offense. At least they beat a$m which Pardee never could/would do.

JMHO

How many more days until kickoff?

2 Likes