Hi there

Those boots . . . :spades:

1 Like

I’m OK with JJ and Art on hand and Art helping Kendal. Especially when we are winning.

I’m disappointed JJ didn’t have a tucked in windbreaker on. He is a great dude I ran into him in the parking lot in New Orleans a few years ago and he was nice and really seemed excited about the game. I wish more of our alums were that excited to see us play.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/OlSkoolTxns90/status/1038974789489225729

5 Likes

Coach Jenkins and coach Lewis are Cougars through and through. Jenkins is a generous donor and of course, Lewis has give a small fortune to the school.

1 Like

Art wasn’t trying to attract attention at all. He came into the stadium with the regular folks and didn’t make any scene to seem out of place or be noticed.

As we were filing into the stadium, my wife struck a friendly conversation with the folks behind us in line. I turned around and it was Briles and family. I shook his hand and said something like ‘Hey, Bud’. I couldn’t think of what else to say but wish I would’ve thanked him for what he did for UH (he probably saved the program from extinction).

I asked my wife if she knew who he was and she didn’t. She is NOT a Briles supporter - hates what he did at Baylor - was at least grateful that he was not a bogeyman people make him out to be.

At the end of the day, he is a Coog. Glad he’s there to support his son and I hope other Coogs were at least classy enough to not completely shun him.

4 Likes

here is my take on briles…
i dont care if he comes to games or stops by a practice…

but i hope we dont stick our neck out too much for him, and not becuase of the whole baylor thing (this is petty on me) but becuase he never stuck his neck out for us EVER… he has never supported UH when it wasnt beneficial to him

every now and then espn asks coaches opinions about issues: playoff expansion, big 12 expansion, should houston be invited up, should g5 have access to a championship etc.

briles has NEVER taken a pro-UH stance on any topic…hell kingsbury, and sumlin who we hate have atleast advocated for us at times

3 Likes

This is hilarious!

Art Briles and John Jenkins together as fans. Wish I could have heard that conversation.

1 Like

Lay off Art or you will answer to me. capiche?

1 Like

If Art wants to be on campus or at practice in support of Kendal, then I would be pleased to roll out a welcome mat. We don’t know how long the relationship between young Briles and UH will last, but the way I see it is we are the beneficiary of Kendal and Art’s talent so let’s see where it takes us. Go Coogs!!

3 Likes

If we need another OC in the next few years, I would be happy to have Jugular John back. One thing for sure is that we wouldn’t have all of this griping about taking our foot off the pedal too soon.

That crap about him putting a short clip of a girl running down the beach pulling off her bikini top being offensive to the players was pure BS. I would be real suspicious of a guy in that age group that would be offended by that.

3 Likes

And what exactly did Art Briles do when he left UH (including Sumlin and Herman) that virtually every other coach in the country does when they leave one program for a head coaching position at another school???

3 Likes

They weren’t focused on the team. They were focused on negotiations for their next gig. No one blames them for leaving, we just wanted them to finish the season here and give 100% to the team we support and pay to see. That ain’t asking a whole lot.

2 Likes

Look, I honestly don’t care that he was at the game…He’s the father of the OC and he has every right to be there.

However, Art decided to start recruiting for Baylor while he was still under contract at UH. It got so bad that Maggard basically fired him and a lot of his staff instead of allowing them to continue coaching. Phillip Montgomery was one of the ones that was let go because he was out trying to change Coog commits to Baylor commits. It was shady and unethical…yes, it happens, but it doesn’t usually happen without the AD’s permission like it did in this case.

I look at Art the same way as I do Sumlin and Herman…thanks for your time here, you helped build us to where we are now, however, the way you left was unprofessional and hurt our program. That taints their image in my mind.

17 Likes

Bingo, so why don’t the conferences and NCAA fix this problem for all schools? If they wanted this fixed it would be done in a snap at the stroke of a pen. The reality is the P6 schools like the “farm system” of HC’s and assistants available to them to instantly try to fix their own problems.

1 Like

I get the Art has done wrong in the past and I’m sure the perceived wrongs go both ways. Imagine how Art felt when his parents died en route to 76 game vs SMU at Cotton Bowl and Yoeman didn’t tell him his parents had died just so Art would play better and prevent from distracting the team. Art left UH, and finished college at Texas Tech. It was all about winning and maybe Art learned some of the wrong life lessons from Bill Yoeman. Art had an axe to grind when he became our Coach in 2003 and used UH like UH used him. His character issues became apparent at Baylor. It would make a great movie! His son is now our coach. We need to forgive and forget, be the bigger person and show forgiveness. End the cycle of wrongdoing and hope Kendall has learned from his father’s mistakes.

What does John Jenkins do? He has been a huge donor for years when we did not have many donors. He only coached here for a few years and salaries were nothing compared to today. I know he floated around Canada and the USFL, bu what does the guy do for money? Those red shoes and boots cannot be cheap?

He day trades.

Back in the Robertson days he was a little more casual.

1 Like

My only concern is that he’s been out of the game for a long time…but heck he knows more football then I could ever dream about knowing!