"High" Expectations

this is the talent herman left Applewhite with. I’m going to list the notable ones

d’eriq king
steven dunbar
keith corbin
linell bonner
courtney lark
colin wilder (i know injuries got to him)
garrett davis
Khalil Williams
Terrell Williams
Patrick carr
mulbah car
Dillon birden
duke catalon
kyle postma
josh jones
Kameron eloph
will noble
marcus oliver
Braylon jones
na’ty Rodgers
djuan hines
matthew adams
emeke egbule
ed oliver
nick Thurman
jarard carter (i know he got injured)
Isaiah Johnson

again tell me how did Levine leave herman with more talent.

Mike Norvell, Scott Frost and Charlie Strong all seem like very solid coaches. Charlie has had success with great QBs (Bridgewater and Flowers). Frost did an incredible job of turning around UCF. Norvell had a great QB last year so let’s see where UM goes.

Looking forward to what Applewhite and Briles put together this year on O and how salty the D is.

Exactly. But where’s the evidence that Herman is except for one exceptional year with an exceptional QB and exceptional defense (which is identical to Chizik’s 2010 situation). I don’t know. Herman may turn out to be a fantastic coach. But 3 years in and he’s had exactly 1 great season and 2 mediocre-to-slightly good seasons. CMA may turn out to be a crap-tastic coach, but it’s hard to reach that conclusion after 1 year, which just so happens to be one year after losing one of the most prolific QBs this school has seen. My only opinion in this matter is we need more time to form legit opinions. Until then, they are just guesses, probably based on how we felt when we first received news of the hire.

Like you, I have very high expectations for this year, but those expectations are not centered around whether I think the HC is good or not. I just want to see this team win, and win big. Don’t much care who gets the credit.

4 Likes

That was a veteran and experienced team that herman took over. Just look at how much experience was there on defense along with an experienced qb, 2 senior rbs, and adding chance Allen to go along with Ayers.

3 Likes

For Herman, thank God Memphis missed that 48 yard field goal. And the Postma delivered with 21 straight points to win by one. Lose that one and no title game and no Peach Bowl. But we won.

3 Likes

Just for fun, I pulled the 2105 Roster and filtered out the true freshmen (and others I did not recognize or knew transferred in like Shultz and Catalon) to see what talent Levine left Herman:

No. Name Pos. Year
1 Garrett Davis SAF RS FR
1 Greg Ward Jr. QB JR
2 Khalil Williams SAF SO
3 William Jackson III CB SR
3 Kyle Postma QB SO
5 Ra’Shaad Samples WR SO
9 Matthew Adams ILB SO
10 Demarcus Ayers WR JR
12 D’Juan Hines ILB SO
14 Isaiah Johnson WR RS FR
15 Linell Bonner WR SO
16 Adrian McDonald SAF SR
18 Lee Hightower CB SR
20 Kaliq Kokuma RB RS FR
21 Chance Allen WR JR
22 Ryan Jackson RB SR
23 Trevon Stewart SAF SR
24 Jeremy Winchester CB RS FR
25 Javin Webb RB SO
26 Brandon Wilson CB JR
35 Kenneth Farrow RB SR
41 Steven Taylor OLB JR
44 Elandon Roberts ILB SR
45 Tyler McCloskey TE JR
47 Ty Cummings K JR
52 Jerard Carter DE RS FR
53 Nolan Frese LS SR
60 Alex Cooper OL SR
63 Ben Dew OL SR
65 Carter Wall OL SR
70 Mac Long OL JR
73 Colton Freeman OL RS FR
75 Marcus Oliver OL SO
80 Donald Gage WR SO
81 Tyus Bowser OLB JR
85 John Leday WR SO
88 Steven Dunbar WR SO
90 Zach Vaughan DE RS FR
91 Nick Thurman DL SO
93 B.J. Singleton DT JR
94 Cameron Malveaux DE JR
95 Tomme Mark DT SR

Absofrickinglutely !!!

Maybe we just disagree on what levels of talent are !!

I see what you did there…

…and you couldn’t be more correct !!!

1 Like

It is obvious Levine brought in more talent.

Keith and Courtney have not shown anything yet.

1 Like

Coach Fil A did pretty well on the recruiting front

3 Likes

The Herman stat I like to use: 18-1 in first 19 games as head coach and 11-9 since.

3 Likes

It must be the players.

lol no he didn’t. if that was the case how come Levine is at home right now?

ok then.

bonner was a walk-on when Levine was hc. he was a stud when herman was hc. elandon Roberts thrived when herman was hc. ayers had his best season ever with herman as hc hence why he left early for the draft. i can go on.

Kind of like picking the 5 star QB who was a horrible fit for the chosen offense but decided to go that way instead of changing to a QB who might fit the offense better or changing the offense to fit the players’ talents?

1 Like

he did. not going to knock him on that, but you still got to develop the talent.

Add the 7 big time transfers CMA has added, no wonder expectations are high.

If you look at our roster, we have a ton of experience on the back end of the defense. These guys should be able to help carry the team when the offense sputters.

Our biggest unknown is at receiver, but I feel like between the freshman, the Utah transfer, and the guys already on the team, we should be able to put together a rotation of 4-5 receivers.

I am looking for the new additions and possibly Stevenson to make our special teams explosive again. Sawyer and Julon Williams should be fun to watch.

I seriously cannot wait for September 1 to get here. Just 38 more days!

5 Likes

Herman came in with his magic potion and made everybody want to give up their future health so he could make a quick exit to his dream job.

4 Likes