HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE FORGOTTEN?

We old-timers remember the rivalry we had with Baylor during the SWC days. Rivalry not just on the field but also in recruiting. I could tell some great stories CBY related to me in that department but it would detract from this note. Our rivalries on the field led to some outstanding and competitive football games. Some are truly legendary. I wonder if there will be any reference to that fact on the Fox pre-game show? There should be given how long it has been since we last teed it up.

5 Likes

How long has it been, 24 years when we last played. They absolutely sucked for the first 10 years of the Big 12. It wasn’t until they stole Art away and they started to improve year 2 or 3.

7 Likes

I’m fully expecting the history to be brought up both before and during the game. Talking heads have to talk.

1 Like

My dream SWC membership would have included OU, OSU, Ark and LSU along with the traditional members of the SWC. Kick out Rice and add U. of Louisiana or La Tech.

1 Like

OU was a member way way way back in the day for a very short time.

Please share CBY stories. They are a treasure.

5 Likes

Somewhere in the old Coogfans archives there’s an interview he had with Keith Jackson before the 79 game with Arkansas (we were both Top Ten at the time, I believe) that I transcribed and posted. If I find it, I’ll post it again. It was pure gold.

The game was pretty good too! :blush:

2 Likes

I was at that game we won 13-10. We blocked a FG attempt toward the end to seal it. I think it hit our defender in the head, I can’t remember the name. We had a hard time after the game though. On the drive out in crawling traffic, a family pulled up beside us and the wife cursed us for 5 miles or so until the road narrowed. It was N-- loving MFs, N-- loving SOB’s, etc. Every epithet was preceded by N-- loving. And her two children, both pre teens were in the back seat.

We stopped at a road side park and my wife was roughed in the womens room (I wouldn’t use ladies) – hair pulled and Coog button ripped off. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Ft. Smith that night and the next morning was refused gas. Made it to Oklahoma on fumes.

2 Likes

Red, that was Hosea Taylor.

2 Likes

Crazy how people can behave over a football game. I would have thought that by 1979 all the SWC programs would have been integrated. Didn’t Arky have African Americans on their team?

1 Like

Wow…that is horrible. There is NO excuse for treating other fans (even Longhorns) poorly because of a game loss. Sorry that happened to y’all.

During that period my Dad and Mother coming from California attended the corporate meeting in Washington, D.C… On a tour bus they met a couple who were from the Little Rock office. When they told them that I went to UH, the wife said something like when we play it’s their N’s against our N’s. My parents were startled that someone would say something like that in public and think it was acceptable.

Arkansas was erased from the Tombstone.

Sheesh. Some people’s kids.
So if they did have Black players…the abuse that Red took is harder for me to wrap my head around. Come to think about it…I wouldn’t be surprised if that “lady” on the bus may have been in on that bathroom incident. :crazy_face:

Mike, I remember those days vividly. Arkansas can pound sand forever. They deserve to be cellar dwellers forever…
Your experience in the “Land of Opportunity” is far from an isolated incident.

1 Like

Well, let’s think about the longhorn part !!

2 Likes

I went to the '81 game in Little Rock on a Royal bus. Tough game but we won 20 - 17. Group of us went to dinner that night. We were feeling good and some of us might have celebrated a little hard. Not drunk mind you, but feeling good. A drunk Arky fan, (but I repeat myself), staggered over and in a loud voice ask how we dared to be there wearing Cougar gear. I told him that of course we did, that Arkansas had some of the best fans in the world and that they would never embarrass their school publicly harassing fans of another school in a restaurant. He shut up and went back to his table. We were probably luck and didn’t stay too long after that.

2 Likes

Wow. This was Arkansas?

1 Like

I was on that Royal Allen bus trip. I went on so many of his trips and really enjoyed them. Mr. Langham would always bring his home made candy. We did have a few of us imbibe a drink or few.

BTW, the Arky fans in Little Rock were not as bad as the ones in Fayetteville.

2 Likes

Do you remember the guy that went swimming?