Holgerson quarterback recruiting

For whatever reason we lost our 2019 Q-back commit. Question then becomes what kind of Q-back recruit might we seek. I question whether pro-style fits the R&S Coach has said he is committed to. The greatest Q-back as measured by recognition and awards was our Heisman winner. Ware was recruited by CBY as a veer Q-back. He was not considered a pro-set Q-back. Same could be said for Ward and King. Yes a strong and accurate arm is essential but the options created by a mobile, fast and elusive q-back seem to give our offense much more unpredictability and potential.
So:
Will we still try to recruit a q-back for the '19 class?
What kind of q-back?
Any names come to mind?

I would not recruit one at this point. I think there are plenty of QBs on the roster at this point to go into the fall.

CDH can focus on his target for next year based on the talent he also has on offense.

Plus Hurts is transferring in, if he was good enough for Bama he is good for UH
j/k.

1 Like

His son Logan is a quarterback

2 Likes

Where did our other QB recruit go?

He asked out of his LOI.

JV, where have you heard that Jalen Hurts is transferring to Houston? Is that official?? I know he was considering us, along with TCU and UCLA, i think
HUGE news if true
He could be redshirted next year to prep and totally learn our offensive system and be ready to go in 2020

he said J/K after that
it was a joke
hurts not coming

1 Like

Where did Holgorsen say he was committed to an air raid offense? I heard him say he had been kicked out of the “Air Raid Club” for a few years until Will Grier became his quarterback. I may have missed something, but one reason I’m such a big fan of Holgorsen is because I think he’s developed from a gun-slinger offensive coordinator into a complete head coach. Even this past year with Grier WVU only passed 20 more times than they rushed or 1.5 more passes than rushes per game. Last year with Grier they only threw 21 more times. In 2016 they were 42nd in passing with 409 attempts, 25th in rushing with 574 rushes. I do think we’ll have an open attack—nothing like Michigan State. But I also think we’ll run the ball and have balance. A good head coach is going to be about winning, not offensive stats. I doubt we’ll finish first in TOP next year, but by the same token I doubt we’ll finish last.

3 Likes

Holgorson Jr. is the replacement, and he doesn’t cost a scholarship

2 Likes

I put J/K

got it

I think this is the answer. Barring a late transfer out, I think CDH will try to address other needs this year.

I just hope we don’t fall into the suicidal nepotism like we did with Helton.

4 Likes

Difference is Holgorsen Jr. had offers from three FBS programs including UNT and is walking on at UH. Tyson Helton didn’t even start for his high school team yet received a scholarship, obviously his only one.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know that.

1 Like

Pretty amazing. Clay wasn’t that bad. I think he and a couple of other players (I specifically recall a punter) transferred from Auburn. I don’t know if he was a walk-on at Auburn or a scholarship player, but he was at least a reasonably average QB here.

But when Tyson did play: Utter disaster
wish him well in his coaching career.

Clay was a scholly player at Auburn. I think Tyson’s UH career was just as a holder for the kicker. Clay Helton was a backup quarterback at both Auburn and Houston and graduated from Houston in 1994 with a degree in mathematics and interdisciplinary science. At Houston, Helton completed 47 of 87 passes for 420 yards, one touchdown, and four interceptions and played 16 games.

If you remember when DH was coaching Case he said publicly, “we don’t want him going past the LOS.”

If you watch DH videos he tells you that the O functions on great receiver execution, one short receiver cross underneath, and great receiver blocking.

The QB only occasionally looks at his target. It’s all about great routes, QB progressions, and quick passing. If this is working then there’s no need for a QB to run. He also counts on his QB to call plays from run-pass option
where the QB looks at the box and calls one of two plays.

I don’t know how this factors in to pro style versus duel threat but I doubt the quintessential QB recruit will be a scrambling, zone reading athlete. Although he probably wouldn’t turn one down if they were really talented and showed an aptitude for his MO.

Oh, and
catch the ball!

2 Likes

One of the few times a classic 3rd and long delayed draw play call made sense was when one of Kim Helton’s sons were taking snaps. Kim should be ashamed for putting Tyson on a FB scholarship at UH due to clear nepotism and it demonstrated his awful recruiting efforts.