Holy wow - Bob Stoops retires from OU!

Effective immediately. Lincoln Riley is the new HC.

http://newsok.com/source-ou-coach-bob-stoops-retiring/article/5551964

I wonder if this is related to losing that QB commit to Texas

The timing and succession plan hint that there may be something strange in play here. Lincoln Riley might be the next big thing, but a school like OU would prefer that he proves it first at somewhere smaller.

Riley needs to take out a big insurance policy because if things go wrong, he will be missing out on that 5 year $10 million deal that was eventually coming his way.

Greg Bailey with ABC 13 posted the following: “Stoops departure leaves the door (more) wide open for Tom Herman and the #Longhorns to dominate the #Big12. Opportunity knocks.”

Does anyone think that OU will fall apart without Stoops and this makes the whorns the dominate team in the Little 12?

Greg Bailey needs to slow down with the OU talk. Austin needs to prove it can handle Kansas first. Leave the OUs of the world to the big boys in this state.

8 Likes

OU going to SEC? Stoops probably sick and tired of all the politics going on with B12, OU/Texass.
Time to hang it up. He’s had a terrific run. Who can blame him.

1 Like

Or he is going to beat OU and get to the SEC first?

LOL! UT isn’t even close to the heir apparent to the Big 12 throne, even if OU’s program completely dissolved. What an idiotic thing to say.

I am not a big conspiracy guy, but wonder if there is more to this story. Like OU is gonna be hit with some kind of scandal. Very strange timing, and he was tweeting about recruiting up until this past weekend.

3 Likes

And think what might have happened if we had hired Lincoln Riley.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/872567790447841280

Those poor kids who thought they were going to be playing for Bob Stoops. Wonder how many are going to defect?

Wonder if this was the reason that Riley wasn’t interested in the UH job this past offseason; it was assumed that it was the buyout, but I didn’t buy that.

Think this is just Stoops wanting to move on and would rather hand over the reigns now at probably the best time to do so (start of summer practices and early in the recruiting season). His twin sons are both seniors this year so there’s a good possibility he wanted to spend more time with them. There have also been rumors flying for years that Stoops was a candidate for other jobs so my guess is he sits out a year or two and picks where he wants to go once he’s recharged his batteries and a nice job opens up (i.e. Urban Meyer).

@pray10 Lincoln just wanted to “Tom Herman” us and use us as a resume builder.

2 Likes

I’ll just take Stops at his word. No way he was forced out and I don’t think there will be any scandal associated with the Sooners.

You mean take us to a NY6 bowl and knock on the door of the CFP? I’d take that deal all day long.

Or was Riley getting impatient with waiting for his shot and AD/boosters started pressuring Stoops so Riley did not bolt for another school. Seems odd that Stoops would go through Spring practice and all of the other off-season stuff just to up and quit in June. But like Stoops said I guess there is not a good time to quit (don’t want to disrupt NSD, don’t want to resign right after NSD or just before the season, etc.).

And what if OU tumbles after his retirement, our former coach is mediocre at UT and Baylor cannot maintain what Briles & Briles created while the other programs continue their average ways: what program is now the flagship program and will the AAC be better than the Big XII? #Power6. Aresco can see the future! (sarcasm there…more likely to be Power4 before Power6)

Any coach that didn’t graduate at UH is going to see us as a resume builder. The only way Applewhite is here for more than three years is if the Coogs are mediocre (7-9 wins) for 3 years.

2 Likes

Kelvin Sampson is quoted quite a bit in this article

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/06/07/bob-stoops-oklahoma-coach-resigns-reaction

Sampson, now the head coach at Houston, reflected for a long time, complimenting Stoops for always being inclusive to he and the Sooner basketball program. When the Cubs invited Sampson and Stoops separately to sing during the seventh inning stretch one summer, Stoops called Sampson and suggested they do it together. With the help of a bit of “liquid courage,” Sampson recalled with a laugh that they belted out “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” while flashing the upside down horns symbol to the Texas fans at Wrigley Field that day. “I’ll always remember his loyalty,” Sampson said. “Boy, is he loyal and he was loyal to Oklahoma. If you were a Sooner, you were one of his guys.”