Holy wow - Bob Stoops retires from OU!

OH yeah I dug that… but we also were lied to, repeatedly.

Seriously, not looking for a fight, Herman showed us what’s possible. But at some point I hope we can stop being coaches’ plaything.

To my original point, Lincoln would have possibly been a 1 and done.

I hope I’m wrong but this is what I’m expecting.

As far as Stoops retiring right now, it’s ODD. Even if it was for his health, he could of kept it inside the program and retired after this season coming up. Would of ease up on the pressure of him winning and would of given him a chance to leave out on top with Baker Mayfield at quarterback.

Would of given Lincoln Riley an extra year to prepared and be the coach in waiting at (34). Maybe he wanted Riley to get off to a strong start in his head coaching career.

Get into a P5 conference and UH will be able to keep good coaches for longer tenures. If not, one of the better coaches from another school would he interested at the UH job.

Ok…I’ll add to the Lincoln Riley collusion. What if we had of hired him and then left us to go back to Oklahoma like our 1 month O-Line coach did (sorry his name escapes me). However I agree the timing of this is unusual.

Side thought, I think we made the right choice and I think even if CMA decides to leave I think he would be upfront about his thoughts or at the least not lie blatantly to everyone. I could be wrong but just my thoughts.

Although there is a chance he might stay. He is heavily liked by the high school coaches in Texas, we are willing to throw anything at our coaches so they stay, facilities are improving, and the Big XII is likely to fold soon. Maybe just maybe things will work out and our persistence pays off.

3 Likes

It could go that way but seeing as Briles, Sumlin and Herman all acted the same way, it’s hard to ignore the pattern. They all lie just in case things fall through because if they say they are leaving and don’t get the job, they have already lost some recruits and fan support and made themselves replaceable. We made all candidates agree to a buyout for a reason. Trust is for suckers.

Oh I completely agree. I especially like the “Trust is for sucker.”

To be honest I never trusted Briles or Sumlin because I heard a lot of used cars salesman speech. Herman I’ll admit that I bought in initially because his actions spoke louder than words but then his actions started to change and then the “eye twitch” was the nail in the coffin.

All in all if we can continue our success and the pipelines to some of these high schools then I think we’ll be alright.

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/aintplayednobody/bob-stoops-oklahoma-ole-miss-ncaa

Starts at 26:30, they mention Lincoln Riley and what may/may not have occurred during the interview.

I can’t get the player to skip ahead to 26:30.

Just tell us!!!

Stephen Godfrey had heard through official sources that Lincoln Rileys name was floating around in the right circles as a possible replacement for Kliff Kingsbury at TT. During the interview Lincoln never gave an assurance that we weren’t putting ourselves in another Tom Herman situation. As Lincoln being a TT alum I would see him quickly leave if given an offer.

1 Like

Sounds about right

Does anyone else think it strange that out of the blue, Stoops retires in the middle of prime recruiting season and nobody in Oklahoma has even batted an eyelash? There has to be a lot more to this.

I knew he was gone once Big 12 rejected UH from admission. I had heard rumours he was disappointed when news came down. He also had a $5 million dollar incentive in his contract when it came to UH joining the B12.

Hindsight, you can’t blame him. He is now set up nice long term money wise. Even if he fails at Texas, he has a very nice compensation package. He now has a top 5 recruiting class for the c/o 2018.

UH football fans were the biggest losers in this. That’s why we were irritated when he bolted. Also because he was a great coach at UH. Now UH needs to keep winning under Major.

1 Like