Honest thoughts after 2nd game?

The Tune of yesterday has only shown to be conference champion quarterback of CUSA.

5 Likes

Defense is very good. Offense will be hit and miss but mostly hittish against this schedule. We will start 3-1. Tulsa and Tulane games following that will tell us the most about DH’s progress since the opener. Still waiting on DH to beat a team with a pulse. Chance we get to 8 wins this year and he still doesn’t achieve that after 3 years as HC. Crazy.

It was Rice. We dominated them. It was great to win, but I am not overly impressed.

10 Likes

No run game.

1 Like

UH stats…

Total yardage - 393

Total Passing Yds. - 249

Passing yds/play - 7.5

Total Rushing - 144

Yards/Rush - 4.1

Rushing game was much improved. McCaskill might be a difference maker rushing the ball.

1 Like

Folks, some of us may not be impressed about thumping Rice like we did but in the history of Bayou Bucket, this was one of the most impressive wins, see link below - University of Houston Athletics Football History vs Rice University
This Rice team though played without their starting QB Green from the Arkansas game where they were leading 10-7 in the first half and scored 17 points. But nevertheless impressive win.

Rice looked terrible.

Even a terrible D was able to sack Tune a few times. He seems sack prone with little pocket presence, IMHO.

Throwing was inconsistent. Got lucky a few times throwing to Dell on 3rd downs. That won’t happen with mediocre to decent teams.

Tech doesn’t appear to be a great team. They had a close game with SFA. SFA gave TT a better game then we did. .

Our backup QB didn’t look good either. CDH hasn’t recruited well at all.

Good win by the Coogs but playing a really bad team.

MO holds true- Beat the bad teams. Struggle with mediocre teams. Lose to good teams. Under perform. Lose a few games you should win and never win any games when you’re the underdog.

Typical CDH ball.

8 Likes

He was. Why would there be a need to address it.

It was a good win but let’s not lose our heads over it. Tune played well as expected and did not turn the ball over. I thought Rice was improved this year. They surely didn’t look it yesterday. From what I’m hearing, SFA had the ball deep in Tech territory with a chance to win the game. This certainly doesn’t make last week’s loss look any better. Tulane will be the next big test for this squad.

5 Likes

Yes he does have a strong arm. Tall receivers don’t need to get separation as much as the speedy guys. His downfield throws are usually fine. If our smaller receivers have 50-50 balls, doesn’t go so well. That’s true for everyone. That’s why we saw Tech receivers beat Jones when his coverage was very good. Hard to recognize mismatches when we don’t get many.

I just still feel like everything is so hard with this offense. Like it has to be the perfect play and situation for anything to work. Tune had no ints yesterday but some of his throws were pretty high making the receiver jump unnecessarily. They drop the ball enough without that. I mean it was Rice we should beat them.

We had freedom to sling it around yesterday and get second chances in the passing game. That won’t happen with all our opponents. The run game has to be better.

3 Likes

For every post dogging Tune, there should be two for our RB corps. Our run game performance is outright shameful. We were outgained on a per-play and total yardage basis by a team whose QB couldn’t complete half his passes. Our QB was our leading rusher. Tune may not be Keenum, but Car and McCaskill sure ain’t Hayes and Sims by any stretch of the imagination, either.

I’m hesitant to take much else away from the game, because it was Rice.

2 Likes

Quick thoughts:

1. The first pass that Ike threw that hit the receiver in stride is what we have missed in this offense. The ball placement is not where it needs to be with Tune and makes this offense look like a possession offense with very little yards after catch.

2. The 50/50 balls on deep balls is not working. Tune doesn’t throw the ball well and the guys are not elevating to win the battle. It ends up be a very low percentage play.

3. Overall, our offense is not as efficient as it needs to be with balls off target, inadvertent sacks, and run game being to run the QB. I never would have pegged the offense as the problem with Holgo. Hoping we can limit turnovers and win a game or two with the defense and special teams.

1 Like

We averaged 5.8 yards per play. No interceptions, nor fumbles lost. Impressive metrics.

The deep passes will benefit us in future games. We have to throw the deep pass to keep the D honest. Why we don’t utilize TE passing plays more on key downs still puzzles me?

For a RB of his size, Car hasn’t looked impressive. Maybe his injuries have slowed him down.
McCaskill will be impressive as the season progresses. Tune running the ball reminds me of Kolb.

I was more concerned about the avoidable penalties that stalled drives. Players need to exercise more discipline. One day a stupid penalty might lose us a game that we should have won.

1 Like

This was wrong but the rest is hard to argue with right now.

I have been saying this, our defense is talented and deep. Hope we get #10 back soon.
I am a little tired of the ridiculous PI calls that have gone against our guys for two weeks. None of which they were beat on the play.

As for the O. Encouraging was converting back2back 3rd and 17/19 yards. Tune made tremendous throws on each. Dell came up huge on conversion plays and Singleton with a great read and comeback for a catch. The most pleasing was watching Tune make a few great reads on blitzes and either hit the pass or the running lane.
The concern is our OL. We are getting some push and converting the short yardage plays, so that is nice. However, overall we need more consistency. I want to see more game breakers in the running game. I do believe we have more talent up front and can continue improving. The two guards are still a work in progress.
Rice is no juggernaut but keep in mind they had the same Arkansas team, who just destroyed Texas, down into the 4th quarter.

2 Likes

Maybe UT is the horrible team.

4 Likes

In fairness to Tune, he had 3 balls hit the receivers in the hands and were dropped.

3 Likes

McCaskill reminds me of Michael Hayes

9 Likes

Can we talk about how I need Tom Franklin back in my life on radio calls

11 Likes