Horrible defense on last play

I’ll paraphrase what I heard Kenny Smith say this morning (well, it’s morning in Hawaii anyway).

It’s not always bad plays (or even missed free throws) that lose games.

Sometimes, great plays (like that last shot), simply win games.

1 Like

It wasn’t a great play, it was a miraculous freaking three point heave that won it for them. They’ve used up all their mana.

1 Like

It’s great to be debating how to defend plays in second round NCAA tournament games than debating if we deserve an NIT bid or not.

12 Likes

Just agreeing that we didn’t put one on the passer.

Does someone have a clip of the whole play or a link to a rerun of the whole game? I think we had someone on the baseline. I just don’t know what roster the OP was looking at to think we have two 7 footers.

Not to mention the risk of putting someone on the passer because Michigan has 2 bigs capable of making a 3 point shot. I think we played it right the guy just made a lucky shot.

2 Likes

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. You would be a defensive genius if you could scheme the opponent into taking a 35-foot heave, not shot, to beat you

4 Likes

I 100% agree with this. That initial confusion with Rob and Galen, left the Michigan player to catch the ball with no one guarding him and going towards the basket.

Not only did we not have anyone guard the guy who caught the ball initially, Corey was guarding two guys on the wing (had to shift to Poole when they passed him the ball).

It was 5 on 4 (michigan’s inbound guy isn’t in the play obviously) and we still couldn’t match up with them man on man or guard the initial guy who caught the ball for less than 4 seconds.

It was a busted defensive play from the beginning, but with all that said, Corey still made him make a 40 prayer.

Got to make the other team catch the ball in an uncomfortable position or waste at least a second to gather the dribble (ideally) and at least match up man to man to make them not get an open look.

That is just how it goes sometimes and March Madness lived up to its name…Sucks when you are on the losing end of it.

1 Like

I agree we needed to pressure the guy who caught the ball and cut off his path. That would’ve eliminated a chance of a prayer shot.

Like it did vs SDSU? Only difference is he missed a more open shot

3 Likes

Ahh I don’t know! This is the most devastating loss I’ve experienced being a coog! That’s including football and baseball. I think its the worst including the pro sports.

It did work in the SDST game imo. Also, just because it didn’t work (in your opinion) the last game doesn’t mean it wasn’t what you are supposed to do.

We didn’t man up before the play started, which caused confusion on who to guard.

Poole was WIDE open when he shot the ball. Corey had to run up to him. SDSU wasn’t open, he had Armoni right there the whole time and had to fight Armoni for the ball initially. Makes a big difference when you take your shot knowing the defender is right there.

Either way, it was a miracle shot. But you HAVE to at least man up before the play starts i think,especially if it is 5 on 4.

1 Like

If you cover the in-bounds passer you force the receiver to come in close. If you don’t they get the ball at mid court with no time elapsed. Did CKS make a mistake? Yes! Have I ever made a
mistake? Yes! Lots of them!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/ie51i-eSVQo

CKS could have been thinking something like this could happen.

Yeah, the panel on CBS were agreeing with this point. Especially since Michigan couldn’t run the baseline.

But you have to man up, guard the inbound, and really guard the 3 point line (better to tie than lose)…imo.

Miracle shots suxxx when it ends your season. ARGHH.

We had 5 guys to cover 4 on the court and the catcher was wide open and the shooter was wide open. Where were the defenders ? ? ? ? ?

Rob and Galen both went to cover the Center at mid court instead of one of them going with the catcher, Devin was guarding #23, Van Beck was kind of playing center field and Corey was with Poole.

As the ball went to catcher, both Rob and Galen went to the ball, and everyone else kind of followed the catcher towards the middle rather than staying with their man, which is why Corey was no longer with Poole…

If they had stayed with their man and just let Rob and Gray stay with the Catcher, then who knows. But Corey drifted to the middle and left Poole open. Too much help defense towards the catcher with only 3 seconds left imo. But good play by Michigan as it worked with Corey drifting too far and not being on his man.

But he probably drains it from 50 anyways, who knows!

Takes me back to NCState game . . . . . Hakeem moved away from the basket toward the shooter, leaving a bad shot to become a game winner . . . . . Natural instincts are difficult to overcome . . . . .

You people have to stop parsing the strategy. The NCAA tournament is like fighting in the WBC championship every night.

Coach Sampson took one of the most sluggish programs in the country and reconstructed it. Then he showed them how to go toe-to-toe with some of the country’s best teams night after night.

We lament the loss but we celebrate our hard-earned legitimacy.

• “Who’s got the funk!?”
3 Likes

Corey Davis has a few thoughts for the OP and some others in this thread:

https://twitter.com/CoreyTheGreat_/status/975400941338988545

4 Likes