Hot Take on Accountability for Applewhite Group

I agree with just about everything this article has to say. With Memphis scoring all too easily the entire second half I was amazed that Applewhite did not go for it on fourth down at such a critical time. Even if we just got the first down and chewed up a couple more minutes of playing time we probably would have won the game. And try King out at QB for a game, we have little to lose at this point,

1 Like

What the Miami haters don’t mention is the following:

In 2011 CMD defense was ranked #17 Scoring D…#45 Total D…#10 red Zone D.
In 2014 his defense was ranked #37 Scoring D…#14 Total D

What they refuse to acknowledge is the mediocre at best Offense that Miami had during CMD 5 years at Miami.
Miami Offense Rankings while CMD was DC there:
Score Off Red Zone Off 3rd Down Off
2011 #63 55 43
2012 #49 26 68
2013 #33 79 96
2014 #62 89 95
2015 #71 84 107

They hated Golden and CMD was his best friend. The OC’s all got passes from the fan base generally.
Look at the Offense #s for 2014 in particular…Miami had 5 offensive players picked in the first 128 picks of the 2015 NFL draft following the 2014 season. The offense that produced those anemic numbers had 1st RD picks Ereck Flowers and Phillip Dorsett…3rd RD Clive Walford and Duke Johnson…4th RD Jon Feliciano

3 Likes

I had not seen Miami’s offensive output during the D’Onofrio era there. Valid argument all the way around. Still don’t like the scheme he runs however. Could Orlando have been setting Major up with this recommendation of hire has always been in the back of my mind?

I know CMD and he and Orlando had spent some time together and also coached against each other when they were at Temple and UConn respectively. Orlando told CMD he was going to hire him if got HC spot. I doubt he would tell him that if it wasn’t true. He didn’t get job and Major did…asked Todd for recommendations and he told him CMD. CMA interviewed 6 DCs.
I understand you may not like his scheme…he’s not as aggressive as Orlando. He’s very sound and picks his spots.

i remain convinced that CMD needs to shore up talent at 1, linebacker and 2, corner and if he can do that we will be a lot better on defense next year…We have palpable weaknesses on defense this year to go along with strengths…

I don’t have a problem when the DC plays it aggressively like he did the first half.
For the life of me I can’t figure out when he changed to rushing 3, max 4 and going 2 deep safeties on everything.
We really had Memphis on their heels. Then we changed and gave Ferguson some confidence.

The puzzling thing is he stayed in that zone the entire second half. Allowed us to get torched.

That’s not what happened. I watched game again. We were not overly aggressive in first half. We were not overly conservative in 2nd half. We made plays in first half and UM for most part took underneath stuff. First half defense forced a fumble and had a pick. 2 sacks on individual pass rush moved by Anenih and Oliver. In 2nd half UM decided to throw downfield…which we don’t cover well…which is why CMD plays 2 high safeties most of time.
1st series 2nd half…3rd and 4 pass interference K Williams 1st down UM
They are 2nd and 12 at UH 43…CMD brings 5…Ferg knocked ground as throws…,diving catch on sideline +9.
3rd and 3…CMD brings 5…hitch comp +6.
1st and 10 at UH 30. CMD brings 5…both ILBs…shows man under 2 deep…on snap T Williams drops down into middle and Davis rotates to his deep spot…Winchester who was showing man drops to cover other deep half. UM runs a go with slot…Ugbule misses jam and Winchester just late…+29 to 1 us line. .
2nd half we had another pass int on Myers and a face mask on T Williams after long pass comp when he and Myers get beat Deep when we were in Cover 3.and a dropped int by Winchester.

2 Likes

Good stuff Manster54 but you very well know that Memphis had to go downfield. CMD can play 2 high safeties but this THEN that he could have used “Lazer Blitz with cover 3” It is elementary stuff but how many times did he do it? I just don’t feel that he applied enough pressure. He could have brought 7 but he did not Why not? He “had them” but he did not apply the killing blow. You give this type of offense a chance and you will get burned. How much did CDM adjust? The second half score says it all.

He didn’t play exclusively zone. Johnson was beat for 26 yd gain in man on 2nd drive.
Myers was called for pass int at goal line in man 3rd drive. Then Winchester drop int
K Williams was beat for 24 yds in man on slot in 5th drive.
We also got beat for 42 yes in 4th drive on deep ball…we are in cover 3…they send 1 deep and he gets behind Myers who was giving 9 yd cushion and Williams playing deep middle…how that happen.
Additionally Frrguson did a great job avoiding rush…we chased him backwards several times and he avoided sacks of 12 and 15 yards. We rushed 5 men 12 times in 2nd half…they ran about 30 plays…,24 passes…only rushed 3 once. Defense had 2 sacks 12 hurries and 2 hits on QB.
You have tip your hat to Ferguson…he stepped up and made plays…,he also put 48 on UH def last year that had two NFL DBs and Bowser.
Also UH was without Mike Adams…Austin Robinson started and Godfrey started at OLB…both have very little experience ,K Williams played DB

1 Like

Read below

Our top 3 corners are Winchester…2 star who was nickel last year. Johnson…conveyed WR who gets beat deep and Myers who transferred from Quachita Baptist…and Davis and K Williams can’t tackle in open field…you wanna rush 7?

1 Like

You are right, just finished re-watching.
Memphis gave up the run and we could not track down Ferguson. But we cannot play so far off the receivers. The safeties often started 15 yards deep then backpedaled.

He had the option to at least switch to 7 at times to stop the run. I just feel that he planned way too conservative.

I watched last years game yesterday. Orlando gave up 48 pts…34 in first half. And he had Bowset and Taylor and both Wilsons. They scored on all 6 first half drives. And 2 fourth qtr TDs to comeback twice after UH took lead…

Even more reasons to be unpredictable.