Houston among most attractive G5

3 Likes

Tallest dwarf

9 Likes

I saw that article but because I’m not a ESPN+ subscriber yet, I could not read the entire article.

1 Like

Tallest dwarf…that’s awesome. Well we better start winning again to remain one of the “taller dwarfs”.

5 Likes

thats for damn sure.

1 Like

Houston is a very good job. Good facilities, decent conference, great recruiting base…so why don’t we dominate?

1 Like

Because consistency escapes us. Just when we have it going on, someone comes along and steals our coaches and recruits. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Location ain’t our friend also

located between 2 SEC schools and several Big 12 schools. Even the far flung Big 12s like a Kansas or Tech can wave P5 and steal athletes who are AAC caliber. And being in Texas is hard also as our athletes tend to peak earlier while the Louisiana athlete tends to hit their peak in college. There’s a reason UT and A&M have suffered as A&M has started to recruit more national players

People say tallest dwarf… but realistically it’s tallest average human.

Boise State, UCF, Houston, Cincinnati are better than most lower tier P5 schools and carry a name brand most CFB fans know.

Yes they’re not the big blue bloods of CFB, but we should be grateful our school is in a respectable conference and is viewed as “Tier 1” among other schools especially considering our record these last few years…

8 Likes

I think that’s sound reasoning and tend to agree
with you.

Now to play devils advocate a bit, how can we turn
that negative to a positive ? If you’re a good persuasive recruiter, can you tout the advantages of
to a stud recruit of playing with and against lesser competitors ? Chance to be a starter as sophomore.
Chance to put eye popping stats against “inferior” competitors. Less chance of injury, etc.

2 Likes

You have a better chance to stand out at a good G5 than a P5. The pro scouts really don’t miss anyone, so when you stand out among your peers, it enhances your chances.

3 Likes

I agree with what I could read of the article but I couldn’t read all of bc you have to subscribe. I’d add Memphis and USF to the tier with us but i’d remove Boise. The reason for this is that I’ve read numerous times that Boise State has low Academic requirements and soon as they move to a P5, that P5 conf. demand Boise up their standards there by limiting their recruiting ability. Then their program sinks because Boise doesn’t have a lot of talent in their state. They get a lot from else where with low academic requirements. Now they would recruit better in a P5 but they wouldn’t recruit better than us or the other tier 1 teams. Houston, Cincy,UCf, USF and Memphis all have better natural recruiting grounds than Boise as of now and we’d all get much better than Boise if we were all in a P5. It’s good to see ESPN has us in the tier 1 likely to move up since they control much of it.

4 Likes

I just wish that worked out for Josh Jones.

Bottom line is this:

1. Once we get to the point that we are ranked all season each season,
  2. Are on TV each game,
  3. Playing for our conference Championship each season,
  4. Go bowling each year with a legit shot at a P5 bowl each year

You don’t have to negative recruit against all of those P5 also ran’s that never get there anyway.

2 Likes

Don’t care what they call us…We are Houston and in Houston…I will take our recruits above all other places…

6 Likes

Memphis is located in the heart of SEC country. Cincinnati is located close to ND/OSU along with numerous other P5 schools. UCF shares a state with 3 P5 schools. Why are these schools able to maintain some semblance of success?

3 Likes

I think it’s because the AAC is a pretty good conf at the 6th spot sorta almost big East and closer in on what the big East was and the schools mentioned get 3 stars which is what the mid to bottom p5 s get

Big difference getting 4th pick vs 6th pick…UCF gets 4th in a talent rich state

Tennessee is top, Vandy’s academics limits who can come which puts Memphis in a good situation

Same with Cincinnati - after OSU they battle for 2nd pick in the state.

After we get through with the 5 P5 teams then we got to fight with SMU for the 6th spot.

1 Like

It’s interesting to the states and inside competition, even Alabama and Auburn (not that they compete with the following) then comes the little three of UAB, Troy, and USA in a lightly populated state.

Everyone recruits Florida/Georgia/Texas. Even Ohio.

Kentucky gets more good Ohio kids than UC does, so do Michigan/MSU. Ole Miss is closer to Memphis than Tennessee or Vandy. Georgia/Bama/OSU all recruit Florida hard.

TCU managed to do just fine in the MWC before they got a P5 invite and there were 4 P5 schools in Texas.

4 Likes