Be really interesting to see if Shake Milton plays for the Ponies. He missed the Tulsa game this past week as his right hand was supposedly in a cast. If so, they’ll be without their top 2 players and will only have 7 scholarship players in uniform.
Speaking of injuries, Coogs may also get to play a Tulane team this weekend without their top guy, Melvin Frazier. Frazier took a charge to the chest against Temple yesterday and had to come out of the game. Dunleavy called it “basically a sprained chest.” No idea if he’ll be able to play this week, but they next play Tulsa on Thursday.
And Milton’s out:
Not that I want our guys to take this game lightly at all, but if we don’t beat a drastically depleted SMU team at home this Thursday…
I hope we destroy the ponnies.
With or without that guy, we’ll take 'em at home.
I know they now have a couple of injuries, but how did Smu get so thin on players?
cheaters never win
SMU was hit with a scholarship reduction penalty due to Larry Brown and staff’s recruiting violations. They lose 7 scholarships between last year and next year. Right now, they only carry 10 scholarship players and 3 are currently injured. Of those 7, 4 are freshman.
Couldn’t happen to a nicer school.
I sympathize with SMU a bit. If UT or Michigan had done what they did, the penalties would have been more lenient.
Heck, look at UNC.
You aren’t wrong.
Update on Melvin Frazier. Green Wave play at Houston on Sunday.
Love these shirts:
Kelvin Sampson, Houston Cougars men’s basketball Head Coach, speaks with the media and recaps last week’s road games against Cincinnati and UCF. Sampson also mentions areas he’d like the Coogs to improve as well as the progress Galen Robinson Jr has made since Galen’s freshman season at UH
Win tonight would solidify our position as one of the top 3 teams in the conference.
• SMU brings a 15-8 overall record and 5-5 mark in The American into Thursday’s game.
• Mustangs stand in a tie with UCF and Memphis for fifth in the latest league standings.
• In its most recent action, SMU dropped a 76-67 decision at Tulsa on Feb. 1.
• Was the Mustangs’ second win in their last three games.
• Against Tulsa, senior forward Ben Emelogu led all players with 24 points, while guard junior guard Jahmal McMurray finished with 22 points… Sophomore guard Jimmy Whitt totaled nine points with team highs of nine rebounds and three assists.
• This season, guard Junior guard Shake Milton leads SMU with 18.0 points and 4.4 assists per game as six Mustangs average double-digit points… Junior guard Jarrey Foster stands second with 13.2 points per game but leads the Mustangs with 5.9 rebounds per contest… McMurray averages 11.7 points per game to rank third, while Emelogu is fourth at 10.8 points per contest… Whitt is a close fifth at 10.7 points per game, and freshman forward Ethan Chargois stands sixth with 10.6 points per contest.
• Head Coach Tim Jankovich is in his third season at SMU and his 12th season overall as an NCAA collegiate head coach.
• Has compiled an 54-13 record at SMU and is 211-134 during his career. • Previously built a 104-64 record at Illinois State (2007-12) and a 53-57 mark at North Texas (1993-97).
• 1982 graduate of Kansas State.