Houston at Sam Houston State, Tuesday (W 12-7)

UP TO THE PLATE
Houston (17-15, 3-6 The American) at Sam Houston State (20-9, 12-3 Southland)
April 9 | Don Sanders Stadium | Huntsville, Texas
Live Stats | ESPN+ | Live Audio
All-Time Series: Houston trails, 83-84
Complete Game Notes (PDF)

ON SAM HOUSTON STATE
• The Bearkats enter the week with a 20-9 record.
• SHSU, who is No. 29 in the Collegiate Baseball Top 30, is coming off a series sweep of Lamar in Southland Conference action winning 15-6, 6-5 and 8-4.
• Sophomore right fielder Jack Rogers was named the SLC Hitter of the Week on Monday. After recording a walk and an RBI double against Rice on Tuesday, Rogers hit safely in his first three at-bats in the series opener against Lamar, highlighting the game with an inside-the-park home run. In Saturday’s doubleheader, Rogers hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth of first game and followed with a 2-for-5 effort in the series finale.
• Rogers is tied for the SLC lead in doubles (12) and is third in slugging percentage (.613). Senior designated hitter Jordan Cannon (.400) and freshman third base Colton Cowser (.385) ranks second and third in the SLC in batting average. Cannon is also second in on-base percentage (.490), while Cowser is also third in RBI (33).
• Bearkats Hunter Hearn (First Team), Clayton Harp (Second Team) and Wesneski (Second Team) were named Preseason All-SLC. All three were named All-Conference in 2018.
• The Bearkats, who have won four SLC titles in the last four seasons (2016 regular season and conference tournament, 2017 conference tournament, 2018 regular season), were tabbed to repeat in the SLC Preseason Poll entering the 2019 season.
• SHSU is batting .306 as a team and has a 4.73 ERA, compared to opponents’ .277 average and 6.06 ERA.

As frustrating as the season has been this year, the next 5 games could help spring the Coogs back into the tourney conversation. @SHSU tonight, @WSU this weekend, and home against the Aggies next Tuesday. 5 Games against Top 65 RPI competition, 4 of them on the road. If Coogs can find a way to go 4-1, they’ll move up.

After that, Coogs schedule gets much easier until the end of the season and they can rack up some wins.

2 Likes

Randel starting tonight.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1115751241211043841

Top 1st

Leadoff double by Triolo, 1 out int walk to Davis, single by Fuentes brings home a run…Coogs lead 1-0

Bottom 1st

Leadoff double, another double scores a run…Tied 1-1

Sac bunt, sac fly scores another…SHSU leads 2-1

Top 2nd

Hyland homer to Leadoff…Tied 2-2

Way doubles, Burckel reaches on a sac bunt, steals 2nd, Lovelace sac fly brings Way home…UH leads 3-2

Burckel steals 3rd, Triolo singles him home…UH leads 4-2

New pitcher for SHSU, Triolo to 2nd on a passed ball, Lockhart singles him home…UH leads 5-2

Davis flies out, Lockhart steals 2nd, Fuentes triples him home…UH leads 6-2

Bielo homers…UH leads 8-2

Bottom 3rd

1 out homer…UH leads 8-3

HBP, single, walk loads the bases and that’s all she wrote for Randel. Hurdsman coming on to pitch.

Single scores 2…UH leads 8-5

Sac bunt moves both runners up. Groundout to Burckel ends it.

T4…Coogs lead 8-5

I’m not home and was looking at the stats every now and then, put my phone down to talk with someone and we were tied at 2, looked at it again and we scored six runs. I like what happening tonight!

2 Likes

Gonna be a long night.

1 Like

Again we have a big lead and Rooney is still trying to strike everyone out 90 percent change ups what about pounding the zone with fastballs it’s so bad

Top 4th

1 out, SHSU goes to the pen. Davis greets him with a bomb…UH leads 9-5

1 Like

I think Rooney is so in love with that Randal kids change up they look like they are just waiting for it
We get up 0-2 and then all off speed sad

Top 5th

Hyland leadoff walk, steals 2nd, Thomas walks, new SHSU pitcher.

Burckel bunt, but Hyland forced at 3rd. Thomas caught stealing at 3rd. Wild pitch moves Burckel to 2nd. Lovelace flies out to CF.

M5…Coogs lead 9-5

Bottom 5th

1 out double, infield single, groundout to Burckel brings home a run…UH leads 9-6

Liner to Thomas in center and he drops it, run scores, runner to 2nd…UH leads 9-7

That’s all for Hurdsman, Roedahl on to pitch.

Groundout to Burckel ends it

T6…Coogs lead 9-7

I finally get to be at a game to see everything and I feel so bad for our pitchers poor Hurdsman another ground ball that Joe needs to just go to the bag and of course we don’t get him and a routine fly to center drop so sad

Rooney needs to leave pitchers in long enough to get their groove. Each pitcher has a pitch they excel in but he’s trying to clone them all to pitch the same and it’s not working well… seems like he has about 3 pitchers he will let stay in reguardless of how many times they mess up and others he will pull after a few minor mistakes!

2 Likes

Top 7th

1 out Bielo single, Hyland follows with a double that scores him…UH leads 10-7

Thomas single scores Hyland…UH leads 11-7

New pitcher for SHSU.

Burckel grounds out, Thomas to 2nd. Lovelace Ks to end the inning

M7…Coogs lead 11-7

He just doesn’t get it, Carter Henry last year has a dirty curveball so what does he do has the kid throw it 90% of the time Randal comes here with a great change he throws it 80% of the time all the other teams have scouting reports for these kids and know to sit on those pitches its so sad to watch

1 Like

Good to see them swinging the bats tonight

2 Likes

It’s as if he’s setting certain pitchers up for failure. I’ve been watching baseball a long time. I’ve never seen coaching like this. I’ve also been a fan of the coogs for a long time. I’d like to see these boys be developed and set up for success like so many past Cougars.

3 Likes