UP TO THE PLATE
Houston (17-15, 3-6 The American) at Sam Houston State (20-9, 12-3 Southland)
April 9 | Don Sanders Stadium | Huntsville, Texas
Live Stats | ESPN+ | Live Audio
All-Time Series: Houston trails, 83-84
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
ON SAM HOUSTON STATE
• The Bearkats enter the week with a 20-9 record.
• SHSU, who is No. 29 in the Collegiate Baseball Top 30, is coming off a series sweep of Lamar in Southland Conference action winning 15-6, 6-5 and 8-4.
• Sophomore right fielder Jack Rogers was named the SLC Hitter of the Week on Monday. After recording a walk and an RBI double against Rice on Tuesday, Rogers hit safely in his first three at-bats in the series opener against Lamar, highlighting the game with an inside-the-park home run. In Saturday’s doubleheader, Rogers hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth of first game and followed with a 2-for-5 effort in the series finale.
• Rogers is tied for the SLC lead in doubles (12) and is third in slugging percentage (.613). Senior designated hitter Jordan Cannon (.400) and freshman third base Colton Cowser (.385) ranks second and third in the SLC in batting average. Cannon is also second in on-base percentage (.490), while Cowser is also third in RBI (33).
• Bearkats Hunter Hearn (First Team), Clayton Harp (Second Team) and Wesneski (Second Team) were named Preseason All-SLC. All three were named All-Conference in 2018.
• The Bearkats, who have won four SLC titles in the last four seasons (2016 regular season and conference tournament, 2017 conference tournament, 2018 regular season), were tabbed to repeat in the SLC Preseason Poll entering the 2019 season.
• SHSU is batting .306 as a team and has a 4.73 ERA, compared to opponents’ .277 average and 6.06 ERA.