Houston at Tulane - Game 1 (L 17-16)

Man, when it rains it pours…got to hang in there guys…do we miss Frank Anderson much?

2 Likes

Top 8th

Redden with a leadoff double. Hollis follow with a walk. 1 out double by Lockhart scores Redden, Hollis to 3rd…Coogs lead 15-8

Passed Ball scores Hollis, Lockhart to 3rd…Coogs lead 16-8

Bielo walks for the 4th time tonight

M8…UH leads 16-8

Odd night. Wonder if Pulido is just a little rusty after only pitching once in the last week and a half. Also means that he’s not starting this week which makes me think that they are probably going back to Randel on Sunday.

Bottom 8th

Tulane opens the inning with 2 straight singles. Double scores 2…Coogs lead 16-10

Villarreal on for Pulido and hits the first batter he faces. 1 out walk loads the bases (Got lucky that the runner from 3rd didn’t score on Ball 4 as it got away from Redden). Villarreal goes to 2-0 to the next hitter, and Rooney pulls him for Henry

Henry throws 2 straight balls and forces in a run…Coogs lead 16-11

Sac fly brings home another…Coogs lead 16-12

T9…UH leads 16-12

Omg…what happened to our pitching tonight lol

This team is soooo underchieving.
Focus is terrible.

1 Like

Top 9th

1-2-3 inning

M9…UH leads 16-12

Bottom 9th
Etzel in LF, Bielo to RF, Minter out

Single to lead off the inning.
Padgett makes a diving catch in CF for Out #1
Grounder to Lockhart, but the throw to 2nd goes into LF. Runners at 1st and 2nd
Groundout to Lockhart for Out #2. Runners on 2nd and 3rd
Infield single scores a run and puts runners on the corners…Coogs lead 16-13
Homerun ties it…16-16 :man_facepalming:
Ground Rule Double
Etzel now out of the game and Slaughter into left
Runner steals 3rd
Wild pitch ends the game.

Tulane wins 17-16

No excuses for this.

I am done.
No way around it, this team is one of the worst Cougar teams in years.

1 Like

unbelievable give up a 10 run lead. I miss Frank Anderson to many damn walks

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates. Tough way to lose. I am not as invested in baseball like I used to be and even I am frustrated by this loss so I feel for y’all that are supporting them week in and week out.

Go Coogs!

2 Likes

I believe Anderson would have yanked guys a lot sooner after giving up a walk.

You have to go way, way out of your way to blow a 10 run lead.

Better luck next year. This season is over.

1 Like

Was wondering when the last time we scored ten+ runs and lost was…believe it was April 5, 2013 at Marshall

If that was the game, we had an 11-4 lead and lost 19-13.

Yep season over, I’m thru even looking at scores or updates, giving Whitting a pass this year due to his wife’s issues, but there is a coach up in Huntsville at Sam Houston looking better and better

1 Like

Pitching has regressed although the sticks have come alive a time or two. I agree with Law, that was a major choke job last night and the pitching is just downright pitiful. That is the kind of loss that can totally demoralize a team. I truly believe we don’t have the talent that we have had before and we truly miss Frank Anderson in the worst way.
From here on we will see what this team has in them…the season could well be over like some say, but if this team has any guts at all they will come out and play pissed off the rest of the season…otherwise, see you next year…

New Pitching coach is not working out.

1 Like

I can assure you Matt Deggs–SHSU will be gone after this year . We (SHSU GRAD) can’t pay our coaches after certain level so they move on. Ex Fritz-FB, Marlin-MBB, Pierce – BB. He might even go back to Team(ULL) struggling this year, where he was hitting coach and they led Nation in hitting before he became SHSU HC. Coogs definitely underachieving big time this year.

I’m not sure I agree that pitching has regressed. Before last night, we were a top 15 team in the nation when it came to pitching and we’ve won two 1-0 games in the past week.

You could argue that Anderson would have pulled some guys last night, but 1) Cumbie walked 4 of the 7 batters that walked, 2) Pulido walked one and 3) Villarreal walked 2 with one of them counting against him as he left with a 2-0 count, Henry then threw 2 straight balls. Henry didn’t walk anyone so I’m not sure Anderson would have done anything different in the end. Maybe he pulls Henry in the 9th, but it probably doesn’t happen before the home run considering that he had given up a single, an error, 2 outs and an infield single up to that point. Even afterwards, he’s got an 0-1 count and then throws the wild pitch to end it.

If you think about it, other than Fletcher, these were our top 4 pitchers on the staff up to this point. For whatever reason, they all bombed last night.

But, it wasn’t just pitching as the defense made some huge mistakes last night. Coldiron makes an error in the 4th that scored a run, catcher’s interference in the 7th cost us at least one run if not more, and then the error on Lockhart in the 9th ended up being huge.

Basically, a complete mental breakdown from almost everyone involved last night. Hopefully, the team bounces back on Sunday and wins both to salvage the weekend.

2 Likes

As far as Whitting…unless he resigns (and his wife says she’s doing better and the cancer is almost gone so I don’t see him resigning), I doubt we make a change. We’ve hosted two regionals in the last three seasons under him and he showed last year that he can reconfigure a team quickly after it underachieves the prior season.