Houston at UCF - Thursday 5pm (L 8-0)

Top 9th

New pitcher for UCF.

Leadoff singles by Champion and Davis, but 3 straight Ks end the game.

Coogs fall 8-0

Need to put this one behind them and be ready to play tomorrow.

Blech, 1 run in the last 18 innings. Bats really picked a bad time to go cold.

3 Likes

In some ways it would probably be better if they don’t make a Regional. The alarm might go off louder, right now it’s just chirping. Currently 5th in AAC , 1.5 gms ahead of baseball power Memphis for 7th place.

1 Like

Whiting isn’t going anywhere any time soon…he has lead us to five previous titles and is an excellent recruiter.
Sometimes things don’t work out and baseball recruiting is so much different than football or basketball. You just never know who is going to make it to campus.
One thing about this team is that every time I write them off for dead in the water they come back fighting. Well, I have once again written this team off for dead, so let’s see how the team responds.
Bottom line is that we need to recruit and hope they all make it to UH…

2 Likes

Nor do I want him to go anywhere. The fundamental mistakes this team made consistently all year was just a head scratcher. Base running blunders, situational hitting, the small things when your not an elite team has to get better. I can only point to him to get that improved asap.

4 Likes

The 5 titles get brought up a lot ( as they should) to protect his status. Obviously they were a combination of either Reg season or Conf Tourney title. One of those yrs they didn’t go to a Regional (if memory serves me correct ) when they won reg season crown.

3 Likes

I think getting the new facility will help in recruiting…but right now I agree that we appear to have peaked out under Whiting…but when you look at the entire picture look how good Noble did for years yet he never reached the college world series…should have but he didn’t (remember San Jose?)
Not sure why but even after Rice stepped out of the limelight we have not been able to recruit the top local players.
Hoping he can get us over the hump, but understand we are a program that has been to the college world series a total of one time…and that was when I was in school LOL

6 Likes

Great word you used there – Peaked ! CTW has done many good things for Baseball program, but maybe he has gone as far as he can go w this program. It’s not like it has hit rock bottom , just hasn’t taken another leap last couple of yrs like many maybe expected. #GoCoogs

5 Likes

…do have the top rated JUCO class coming in iirc

2 Likes

HOUSTON NOTES
Offense:
• Davis broke The American career record with a double in the fourth inning. The two-bagger was the 52nd of his career and broke his tie with David Villar (USF, 2016-18). Davis finished 2-for-4.
• Sophomore catcher Kyle Lovelace (1-for-3) and junior third baseman Jared Triolo (1-for-4) and each singled, respectively.
• Freshman Ian McMillan checked in at shortstop in the fifth and turned in a 1-for-2 effort.
• Junior Wendell Champion II hit a pinch-hit single to open the ninth.

Pitching:
• Junior southpaw Lael Lockhart Jr. (4-6) suffered the loss, allowing five runs (two earned) across five and one-third innings. He allowed just four hits and walked three while striking out seven.
• Senior Nolan Bond relieved Lockhart Jr. in the sixth and was taxed for a three-run home run in the seventh.
• Sophomore Spencer Hynes tossed a scoreless eighth.

Big picture this is one reason that college baseball and hockey aren’t popular. I nor average alum have the extra brain cells to figure out their recruiting.

1 Like

They can still implement my stormbreaker idea.