Houston Cougars Men's Basketball: Cincinnati Preview

Tough game but they kept fighting.

Agreed. We will get them next time. Tonight wasn’t our night.

If they gave points for heart we’d never lose. We played hard but Cincy was much better tonite.

You rarely beat a team on the road that beats you start to finish when you are at home. Hopefully Cincy is the only team good enough to beat us in Hofheinz.

Tired of losing to Cincy – we were 1/26 in last year’s media guide –

Facts are we have 4 starters on our team and one of them has missed the last 9 games. Van Beck is our next most reliable player.

Chicken is at most a back up. Meyer occupies space. I have always felt tha Nkali is better because, well at least he is athletic and can jump.

Brooks has promise. We basically were playing 4 players against their 8 or 9 players. They have bigs, we don’t !!

2 Likes

Exactly.

Bert had a good game last night. Hope to see more of his energy in the post moving forward.

Take it as a negative or a positive but the best part of Nkali’s game is taking charges. lol

Highlights and Postgame Presser with CKS:

• CKS mentions needing a 3rd scorer and that they expected Davis to be that guy, but he’s been hurt. Can’t find a consistent guy to be that 3rd scorer. Laments not having Pollard and Barnes. Mentioned that Nkali’s probably the only guy that bangs in there to try and get 2nd shots.

• Happy in effort, just couldn’t hit shots. We stayed close even though we couldn’t hit anything.

• Gray hadn’t been able to really do anything since last Saturday. Got cleared right before the game.

• Need more out of Chicken and Meyer

• Liked Galen’s pace. Need to find Van Beck in the corner a few more times.

• Davis has plantar fasciitis. Hard to recover from; time to come back can vary. Practiced in Tampa and looked OK on Thursday and Friday. Played 9-10 minutes vs. USF and felt a pop. Basically feels like a knot in the bottom of your foot/a mass that hurts.

• Van Beck will figure out how to get 10. He’s a good 4th or 5th scorer. Davis should be the 3rd guy, Chicken the 4th.

No. 22 Cincinnati outpaces Houston
Scoring dearth dooms chances in first AAC loss
Chronicle Subscriber Link
Google Search Link

“No shame in losing to them,” Sampson said. “We’ve got to get a third scorer, but right now, it’s a struggle for us to get somebody else that can be consistent that we can count on.”

Before the season started we knew if any key players got injured then we would be in trouble.

Next year will be very similar.

The 2018 recruiting class is crucial. We need MULTIPLE quality post players on the roster and a scorer to fill the void left by a Rob Gray.

Being able to tell recruits we have first class facilities (new arena and new development center) should go a long way.

He plays good defense and rebounds.

I agree. I just hope Gray sticks around for his final season and doesn’t opt for an over seas paying gig.

1 Like

We’ve got a nice class coming in with a couple of good big men (1 potential star-White) and Sangoyomi coming in as well as Davis’s senior year If Harris comes in, we may have our strongest front court in years.

Agree on Gray, hope he stays one more year.

Sangoyomi is already in the roster but red shirting. I’ll be ecstatic if Harris finally enrolls into UH. UH needs all the big men they can find. A 3 man rotation of ( Brady, Sangoyomi & Harris could be salty. And if UH wants to go small, they could slide Fabian White at center, and play Davis at the 4 position. Key will be getting Rob Gray back for his Senior year.

The 2018 class is going to be crucial ??! Really
it won’t be any different than the 2017 class
solid all-around class.

1 Like

I think not having a home arena to play in could be a major factor.

I’ll tell you this, if Rob Gray doesn’t return for his senior year, UH ain’t going to the NCAA tournament next year. I love our recruiting class, but not having that go to scorer to complement Armoni nor Van Beck, would be a major blow for our chances of going dancing.

Don’t forget about this kid:

https://twitter.com/MikeAdewunmi2/status/819572154924732417