Houston fans

I enjoyed the reduced crowd. It allowed the beer guys to give us personal service. We planned our seating carefully and remained shaded throughout the game. The only problem was a medical emergency blockead the aisle and we became parched waiting for the paramed to gurney the guy out.

That attitude will keep us from being A p5.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not going to change by complaining about it.

I’m not sure if UH has Saturday classes with the growing enrollment but who would schedule midterms on Saturday?

Something Wicked started in the evening so the students had plenty of time after the game to prepare for.

I felt the same way. IF i see that again, I am going over there with my squad. Football brings so much attention to our University. I worked hard to earn my degrees. Showing up is not just for the football team, but for all us Coog Alumni.

3 Likes

I’m not going to point fingers or even discuss why there were so many empty seats this past Saturday. It didn’t look good and I was disappointed, but that is life. What I did do was contribute to the solution and not the problem.

I took 3 family members with me and none were UH alums. They cheered and stayed loyal with me, in the HOT sun. We didn’t seek shade and run away, we stayed until I was able to sing the alma mater with the team after the game. Now, I have this crazy “raccoon” tan on my face from my sunglasses, but I’m smiling because, yet again, I got to witness another crazy comeback by the Coogs.

I just hope we show up better for the remaining home games, but we’ll see. All I know is, I will be there, rain or shine, hot or cold, good or bad. Nothing ever comes easy when you are a Coog. We all know this. lol! Go Coogs!

2 Likes

I’m with you. I stayed the entire game, but I am not calling out anyone who didn’t. It was hot as hell, the team looked like crap and going home to sit in AC was looking like a good option. Not every fan is hardcore and would sit in heat or driving rain to see the team. Nothing wrong with that.

I had a guy in my section almost start a fight with someone because they didn’t want to stand up and cheer when the team was sleepwalking through the 1st half. He literally had to be restrained from fighting a guy that didn’t want to stand up. That crap was bizarre. Different fans do different things. I am not going to get worked up about if people show up, leave early, stand up, sit down, look at their phone all game, don’t tailgate, eat food all game, etc. With that said, I was surprised at the lack of student attendance, though I imagine many were in the concourse and not in seats.

I just started following a twitter account that shows empty seats at sporting events. In my couple of weeks of following, it is crazy how many high-profile games in all leagues and levels have tons of empty seats. We wanted the T-shirt fans to jump on the bandwagon to fill up TDECU. They jumped on and hoped right off until next season or the Louisville game.

Pray, while I always appreciate your comments this time I have to disagree with you. While attendance may be a convenient excuse for P5 teams to turn their back on us, in itself it’s just a sorry excuse. Otherwise BYU would be in the B12-2.

And it is just as certainly not the reason coaches move on. Poor facilities, lack of P5 status and most of all MONEY are what lures coaches away. We’ve come a very long way since Sumlin and Briles jumped ship. And trying to compare us today with those teams is a disservice to everyone.

Moreover, a big part of the responsibility for our poor showing the previous 3 weeks falls on the coaching staff. They did a very poor job of preparing this team to play. Certainly injuries had a lot to do with a fall off in performance. You can’t just throw a player in a slot and move forward as though nothing changed.

I honestly think Herman didn’t have his head into the the team and it showed. Maybe it was the whole Big 12 fiasco. Maybe he had delusions of grandeur dancing in his head. Who knows. But at some point he almost lost this team. He’s a young HC. I can only hope he will learn that you can’t mail it in. The second half of Saturday’s game offers hope every one is back and ready to go. So, no, I don’t blame fans. When the HC and the team both seem to be going through the motions, don’t blame fans for being smart enough to notice. And for the record, I was there.

1 Like

At the end of the day, we only have 12 to 13 game days a year. As a fan who wants bigger and better things for our great university, you show up. It’s not a huge commitment.

1 Like

“We have met the enemy, and he is us.”

Vince, everyone has an opinion here and that’s OK. But for plenty of us giving up a Saturday is indeed a huge commitment.

I take time away from my wife and family and tons of things that need attention to get to these games. We both work long hours and Sunday is taken in large part by church activities. So Saturdays are special times for us.

I’m just lucky I have family who support me while I take precious family time to come out and support the Cougars. It’s not their “thing”, but they understand that it’s mine.

P.S. I was totally shocked to get home and find that both my wife and her mother had watched the game on TV. Amazing!

1 Like

I’m sure your attack of people that bought tickets and didn’t make it to the game will be extra motivated to show up for the Tulane game because of your criticism. That was sarcasm just in case you didn’t catch that.

If a game like Louisville is sold out and 5k people don’t show up or bother to find people that will show up, I get that criticism. If a game has 3k unsold tickets at UH and another 3k unsold tickets on Stubhub, then I’d rather appreciate the ones that bought tickets and didn’t use them then bought no tickets at all.

Until we have standing room only for every game we play, no matter our ranking or opponent, I’m not going to criticize those that financial support the team through ticket purchases. I’d hate to see your reaction for every basketball game. For the past 20 years, our 3k average tickets sold, were mostly 1k butts in seats.

FWIW
 my brother in law decided to go the huge 2-day music rave festival at the horse track, he said thousands and thousands went
 and said A LOT of them (college student age) had their UH gear on, maybe that deterred them along with other factors listed above. I still went with my wife, folks and baby (it was her first game!)

1 Like

Remember the five seconds attention span?
The last few weeks reminded everyone how fans react to adversity. We have about 20/22k ticket holders. That is our core. This is what we have to pay attention to and increase that base.The marketing department needs to work daily to remind every ticket holder that this is not about today but we are building for the long run. I see two clear issues here. Yes, the game appeared to be another major let down but what kind of message are you sending to our Team, our Coaching staff? What kind of message are you sending to future recruits?
This Monday our marketing department needs to find ways and reach out to their database. We have 40k fans in one game? We have 40k emails/contact info etc
Make it clear that every fan is involve in this building process. Let them know that we appreciate their support, their business. This is where public institutions have issues vs private companies. Be creative and be positive.

1 Like

Mike, I can appreciate the dedication to your family and share that with you as I am a proud new Dad. With all of this said, with the number of Alumni and students we have in the City, our showing was pathetic. I don’t expect everyone to make every single game, but it wasn’t a problem before the Navy game. Just the way I feel and I know that the people on this board are not the problem. Go Coogs and see everyone at the Tulane game!

2 Likes

The thing is, people have to WANT to go. All this stuff about the message that’s sent, the importance of making a good showing to other conferences and recruits, etc. - that sounds more like “work” than “fun” to a lot of people.

As noted above, going to games is at least a substantial commitment of time, and it’s not free. You can’t shame people into making that commitment, and those who don’t go certainly don’t “owe” it to the University to spend their Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays at the stadium.

Things are getting better, but that progress still requires time before it’s a foundation.

I don’t see it as pathetic. Our attendance was built on expectations. In fact, I noticed that Herman hasn’t made a comment on fans or attendance. Why? Because he knows he hasn’t held up his end of the deal.

The flounder are running and it was the last weekend before they drop the limits to 2. Hard for me to want to go to the game when the alternatives seem better. 5 flounder vs crap football? Hmmmmm.

Even though they won that was a sloppy game and not a quality football game.

2 Likes

Yes it is a shame. That a couple losses and we lose all support. But we have GOT to get into a conference with some interesting matchups. It is hard to get up week after week year after year for a morning game against UCF, Tulsa, Tulane, etc. My Family has gone to every game since the 80’s and will continue to do so. But at some point the admin and powers that be have to come through and get us to where we need to be.

And MAYBE, just MAYBE
 Our damn coach needs to be loyal to the guys he says he LOVES so dearly and not lose the team due to a wondering eye less than 2 years into his tenure.

1 Like

This! I love my Cougars and very much enjoy going to the games. Whether we win big or get blown out, I stay until the very end when I go. This is the first year I’ve been able to buy season tickets. I had to miss Saturday’s game because I made a commitment for this weekend before I bought the UH tickets. I made sure I gave my tickets to someone I knew would use them.

That said, as much as I love the Cougars, supporting them financially is not at the top of my philanthropic list. I bought my season tickets because I love watching the Cougars play football. There are many things and causes in life that are more important to me than UH selling out games, keeping a coach or getting into a P5. If these things are at the top of your list, that’s great. By all means, keep buying tickets and donating to Cougar Pride. I don’t try to shame anyone into stepping up their game in giving to particular charities or causes, and no one should tell me to step up my game in giving to UH. We all have things that are important to us for various reasons and it seems absurd that some people on here think we should all have the same causes we support at any cost. Let’s all try to keep a little perspective here.

2 Likes

And UT probably. And the “Big” “12”. And probably ESPN.

But yes, we can control the one, and should.

2 Likes