Houston Football: 2018 Cougars Preview and Prediction

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/houston-football-2018-cougars-preview-and-prediction

The Cougars rank No. 52 in Athlon’s Top 130 for 2018.

Whether a joke or not, Houston president Renu Khator turned heads when, shortly after coach Major Applewhite’s hiring, she defined success as 10-win seasons and said, “We’ll fire coaches [for going 8-4].” Two seasons since a New Year’s Six appearance, Houston took a step back at 7-5 in Applewhite’s first season, and he’ll attempt to get the Cougars back on a 10-win track and a solid showing in the AAC this season…

PR hit or not, the hiring of Briles shows that the pressure is on to return to the top tier in the AAC West. Back-to-back non-conference games against Arizona and Texas Tech in September should tell us where the Cougars stand. Otherwise, the schedule is favorable with just three trips outside the state of Texas.

2 Likes

Thirsd in the AAC West? Really? Behind who?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/american-athletic-conference-football-2018-predictions

I’m assuming that 7-5 record would mean a home loss to Arizona, and road losses to Texas Tech, Navy, SMU, and Memphis. If that happens, I could absolutely see a change being made.

the fact last season was our lowest ppg mark on offense since 05 should tell you how bad Applewhite is. think about it. 3 years of Levine had better offenses. if we go 7-5 again then he has to go I’m sorry.

2 Likes

7-5 won’t get it done.

Hopefully Major Applewhite wins big this year else the leash becomes extremely short. Don’t think he survives another 7-5.

I can understand coming 2nd to Memphis given coaching they have but my minimum criteria is 10 wins and 2nd place.

1 Like

No way we go 7-5 with Briles offense and our stout defense this year, I’m expecting a 10 win season!

4 Likes

We just landed a former 4* corner from Notre Dame. We have a 5* DB (Anderson) from Ole Miss that was the #1 ranked DB in the country coming out of HS. We have an experienced 3* LB transfer from Miami (Owens), and a former 4* DE from TCU (Chambers) to go along with All-American Ed Oliver. Defensively this is one of the best groups in a long while.

Offensively we added a grad transfer WR from Utah, a quality backup QB from Tennessee, and a former 4* 1000 yard RB from Baylor to go along with an experienced QB, RB Car, and a 4* true freshman RB that looks to be a good one. Then you have KB’s new offense. Honestly, Applewhite is bringing in talent and is clearly addressing positional needs. That’s a good thing. However, if he craps the bed this year and loses more than 3 games then he needs to go.

3 Likes

at least this reviewer accounted for the transfers
, last article had nothing on the transfers.
I can see why this at least makes it difficult to evaluate UH,
all the new player additions plus coaching changes is a huge unknown.

1 Like

I think like every year, predictions will be wrong. The best thing they can do for us lately is underestimate us.

The offense’s approach could be schizoid this year. Injuries and disparate QB styles could leave us poorly defined and ineffective. I hope not but have seen it before here and elsewhere.

It WILL be interesting and hopefully fun!