Houston Football: UCF Post Game Press Conference 11.2.19

Well hell, he has 9 games to prove himself with a few players not recruited by his staff… time to cut him lose !

4 Likes

I posted this on Twitter but I’ll comment here as well. Late in the first half Tune grabbed his hamstring and limped back to the huddle. After that he had zero mobility. Notice, at the start of the second half is when UCF unloaded its blitz packages. Tune was defenseless and could not escape. Our D was outgunned the whole game so with Tune limping around and our paper thin D not able to get any stops it was game over.

I bring this up because it’s factual and gives insight into the second half implosion. I know UCF has been successful in the second half but I see our loss not as some great adjustment that UCF made, but as a change in circumstances on UH’s part. A Corvette with a flat tire isn’t going to outrun my Grandpa’s old pickup.

Now for those of you who want to criticize Holgorsen you need to go back to kindergarten. You can’t win with what Major left us. Look at the rebuild that Baylor and SMU have gone through. It didn’t happen overnight and the alumni base supported the process.

Moreover - and maybe more importantly - Holgorsen is probably as aware of Tune’s condition as am I. You think? But he made no excuses during his interview. He has a week off to figure out how to patch things together. But don’t expect him to change his personality and become Mr. Sunshine. We knew what we were getting and he doesn’t disappoint.

Sad but true. “Next man up” doesn’t work when there are no backups. Good news I guess is UH is building depth. That alone makes me very optimistic about next year.

25 Likes

79 - you are spot on. If I recall correctly the announcers commented on Tune grabbing his ham string. Our players are showing no quit, they play hard and I believe we have the right coaches in place to get back to potential 10+ win seasons. Hermroid and Applesauce left us in a mess.

8 Likes

What I want to know is why Smith got so little pt.

1 Like

He got hurt in the SMU game.

He ain’t gonna be a QB.

1 Like

Looking at the replay, the big difference in the game other than talent level, but absolutely related to talent level, UCF QB had 5 to 8 seconds to throw and Tune had maybe 2 to 3 seconds to go thru progressions.

Not gonna work.

Only criticism I had would be that given what UCF does ( throw deep), I was disappointed that we didn’t have any blitz pkgs for the game. I say that not knowing the health of our LBs for practice time. I thought D Line played pretty well.

5 Likes

69, can’t disagree with what you point out - up to a point. I watched the game again too. Tune’s hammy was getting much better. He claimed 90% well. My wife’s an licensed athletic trainer (or was). She noted that any athlete who is playing on a “90%” well hamstring is begging for a relapse. And he got it. Bottom line, it was too early to put him back in. But there really aren’t any backups. We tried that.

Up until halftime Tune played well enough for UH to be ahead at the half. Let’s not forget that. A big part of that was Tune’s mobility. Blitzing would not work as long as he could tuck and run- or at least escape from the pocket long enough to find an open receiver.

But after he tweeked the hamstring he just couldn’t run any more. UCF saw that going into the half and made the adjustments. They came out of the locker room with their hair on fire and threw every kind of blitz known to man at Tune. He was just a sitting duck. End of story.

Certainly there were any number of factors but they were there in the first half as well. But in this offense a QB has to be mobile. No Plan II. If a QB can’t move around the whole offense looks like a 3-ring clown show. And the stats Bear that out.

3 Likes

Yep. The announcers noticed Tune grabbing his injured hamstring. They pointed it out very clearly. And from that point on the offense began to fade.

Holgo has never been a huggy bear. He’s direct. You know where he’s at… he’s not a glad-hander nor does he shine people on. I personally like it.

11 Likes

Actually, was talking about our defense blitzing the UCF QB. He had way too much time to let the deep patterns develop.

Like I said, I said that not knowing of LB health and of practice time this past week.

Personally, I think Tune has all the tools and will be really good in this system with more experience and when healthy. His hammy was definitely causing problems most of the game. So much so, he was missing some open throws because he couldn’t push off the leg. When healthy, he is a hell of an athlete. I think possible NFL caliber.

2 Likes

Isn’t Fertitta paying a large portion of CDH salary? Perhaps if anyone should be moaning it should be him and not us. Complaining about how much someone else makes particularly when you aren’t the one paying it doesn’t compute with me.

4 Likes

Tune completely telegraphed that INT on the 1.

I almost broke furniture by how he gave it away from the snap but Dana put things back in perspective. He’s still learning.

I’m starting to realize how easy it is to identify that as a TV viewer but how hard it is for a young kid being bum rushed by a very athletic, rugged D line.

1 Like

In the first half we were getting to him and putting some hits on him (which disrupted the offense a bit). UCF just started having their WRs run by our DBs and the QB threw to areas and the WRs run underneath and caught the passes.

1 Like

I like his style. What a contrast with Applesour.

1 Like

I prefer he not use language that is not even permitted on this board. It makes us look bad.

1 Like

CDH is an employee of the school. If he works for Tillman someone should let the A.D. know. Hobbes is right. Bad language to a reporter is disrespectful regardless of who picks up the check.

1 Like

I hope the guys who are trying to rag on CDH’s right to exercise his frustration through public media, are not the same guys who defended Justin Murphy’s dirty laundry tweets. Let’s be fair to all. He’s frustrated, and this is to be expected at some point. Maybe it’ll be an instant classic like the Mike Gundy “come at me, i’m a man” rant and we’ll all laugh at it someday. I’m sure the media guys, and school officials aren’t too mad to complain that he used the word “suck”. I put that in the same realm of telling someone to shut up; it isn’t nice, but it isn’t cussing either.

5 Likes

Seems some people are being “triggered” !

1 Like

Show me where I complained about how much he makes. I complained about how he acts. Read more carefully next time.

The only way a hammy strain heals is rest. As long as he keeps playing it won’t heal and he’s making it more susceptible to Injury in the future.

1 Like