Houston hosts #11 ECU in doubleheader on Saturday - 1pm (G1: L 15-3) (G2: L 3-1)

Agree with you on Minter. Strong, fast, athletic kid with a ton of power as we saw demonstrated at times last year. He should be a big part of our offense. Hitting is not like riding a bicycle. It’s a fluid process that requires constant adjustments … i.e. Mental and Physical adjustments to develop the right approach at the plate. The hitters have zero guidance on how to develop that. Most of our hitters don’t appear to have an approach on what they need to accomplish at the plate in any one situation, especially with runners in scoring position. If I were a UH hitter, I’d be going to an outside source for help. I see a few that are battling like Fuentes and Padg when healthy. They seem to find a way to make things happen at times. On Brown, just doesn’t have it; defensive liability and 0 for who knows as a pinch hitter and I can’t for the life of me figure out why he keeps getting a bat in dire pinch hit, 9th inning scenarios. Guaranteed out. There are pitchers on that team that have a better chance of success at pinch hitting than Brown. Also, definitely not a D1 pitcher in any way, shape or form.

2 Likes

This is not high school anymore this is D1 baseball if players had a great summer for development what level summer league did they play in…if not in the top summer league not being pushed…don’t expect college coaches to develop these players heart and extra work that needs to be put in individuallly to be successful…How many hours do they put in outside of practice??? If they got here they have talent what they decide to do with it once here is up to the player!

None of my kids ever depended on coaching staff at any age to help develop them into the player they are now. Extreme amount of hours in our batting cage at our own home…extra private lessons…extra workouts with trainers…nutrition education! We have a D1 volleyball player and one on this team that he has worked his butt off at anything the coaching staff has needed. Hitter, Relief pitcher, starting pitcher, pinch hitter! Outfield, infield you name it Utility player who wants to win!

The players have to want it themselves and have to put in the work to be successful.

Coaching staff has my support even if I disagree at times! Can’t have a team without leadership from coaching staff which I believe they have and respect each teammate to give 110% to win side by side.

I personally almost go to every game that has been played the last 3 years! Incoming classes need to strap up the jock strap and earn a spot! Nobody gave mine anything and it has never been easy and your only as good as your last at bat or last pitch!

Remember if D1 baseball was easy everyone would be in the starting 9!

Go coogs and have to keep grinding!

3 Likes

Hard for me to get on the pitching coach when our Friday night starter is a 2 way player. Every good team has a horse that they can go into any conf. tourny or regional and know they can beat anyone in the country on any given day. There has been talk on this board about giving up Friday games and pitching our Friday guy later in the weekend. When you are discussing that option the season is OVER.

I like this team but its full of just very good players. It is missing the 2 studs on the mound and 2 quality big bats, the rest will follow. Recruit the kids like Goss at Cy Ranch, all I see is Canada, Nevada, etc. recruits. Go get the kids in our backyard. Convince them to stay home and not go to Aggieland. Tell them they will be the Friday night starter or go mop up 20 innings in the Aggie bullpen.

Quit talking about the development and go get these kids. The facilities are there and they were coming here before those facilities.

1 Like

Congrats Dad, your kiddo is doing great for such a heavy workload. Wish there were more like him.

Really can’t stop talking about player and program development when it’s a HUGE part of most all CWS contenders. This isn’t a recruit and play type of sport at D1 level. There has to be developmental programs to ensure success. They put 30lbs+ muscle on these kids and their bodies require adaptation and baseball specific development to maintain high performance capabilities. If you think a HS level pitcher that is a Friday night ace translates to a promised Friday night starter at D1 level I couldn’t disagree more! Besides, a recruiting coach that promises a prospect anything but whatever scholarship they’re offering would be doing that recruit a disservice. Spot has to be earned in most cases. I could go on and on about that but I won’t. There are several players on UH team that put in an Large amount of extra work on their own because they are competitors and want to win. There are a lot that only do what is required and no more also!

4 Likes

One need only look across the parking lot to see how much coaching can make a difference in development along with desire to get better.

1 Like

Listen, you dont need to explain that development is huge, I get that. My main point is on WHO we are developing. Im sorry Im not satisfied with letting the Aggies take FOUR local pitchers 6 ft 3 and up who throw gas and are Perfect Game/Area Code guys. Did we offer them? Why not promise them a starting spot if our staff is depleted from last years draft/graduates. Other schools are…

1 Like

Agreed … doesn’t seem like recruiting is going after these level of players now that Anderson is at Tennessee because I know he did.

The studs like Thompson, Goss, Woods-Richardson etc aren’t coming to UH, UT, TAMU etc…they’re cashing checks, can’t blame them at all. Still, there’s a lot a really good D1 potential talent in Houston/South Texas area and don’t know why we don’t get more of them. Know it’s tough to compete for HS kids vs the UT, TAMU, LSU etc in our area. Kids get star-struck, easy to do, i get it. Bottom line, it’s Big Boy Ball and if you never had to really work/grind at it and/or fight/scratch/claw for every AB/IP it’s an eye-opener…looking at any D1 roster and see how few actually make it start to finish out of each class just really shows how difficult the game is…thats why we love it

2 Likes

You are not going to get those kids here with the pitching coach we have they have done their homework. Anderson could’ve got those kids here with his reputation look what he’s doing in Tennessee and only his second year. Most of these kids are putting in a lot of extra hours but they also I have full loads of classes at school.

Don’t the coogs have a game tonight