Houston hosts Cincinnati - 6:30pm on Thursday (L 3-2)

Huge series as the Coogs can’t afford to drop more than one to a bad-RPI Cincy squad at home.

Houston (22-15, 6-6 The American) vs. Cincinnati (17-19, 7-5 The American)
April 18-20 | Don Sanders Field at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park
G1: Live Stats | Live Stream | Live Audio

PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Friday : Houston LHP Lael Lockhart Jr. (3-4, 3.20) vs. Cincinnati RHP David Orndorff (1-1, 5.85)

ON CINCINNATI
• The Bearcats enter the series with a 19-19 overall record and 7-5 mark in The American.
• Cincinnati is on a three-game win streak and is coming off a 15-5 win over Miami (Ohio) on Tuesday.
• Junior shortstop Joey Bellini leads the Bearcats and ranks third in The American in batting average (.372). Cincinnati also has three of the league’s top stolen base leaders in Jace Mercer (17), Jeremy Johnson (16) and Joey Wiemer (12).
• Schoenle, the projected Sunday starter, is fourth in the league in opponent batting average (.213).
• The Bearcats, who finished 12-12 in conference play in 2018, were picked eighth in The American Preseason Poll entering the 2019 season.
• Cincinnati is batting .242 as a team and has a 5.32 ERA, compared to opponents’ .261 average and 3.98 ERA.

Yeah Cincy is a scary proposition because they’re an rpi anchor, but they clearly have enough about them to beat UConn 2 of 3. Its hard to square their 7-5 league record with their numbers this year.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/uhcougarbb/status/1119012734308442112?s=21

I’m trying to log-in and watch the game, anyone else having trouble? I tried to log-in, and it sends me back to the page that has the game link and says I need to log-in.

I’m not getting an error saying my username and password are wrong and I don’t have an ad block program on.

Must be my PC because I can get it on my phone.

Switched from Chrome to Firefox, now it’s working…go figure.

1 Like

3 innings done; Coogs have had 9 up and 9 down so far. Lockhart pitches out of trouble in the 1st and has settled down a bit.

Top 5th

Single, Double play, HBP, Single, puts runners on the corners. Rooney brings in Roedahl

1st pitch homer…Cincy leads 3-0

Walk. Flyout to center ends the inning.

M5…Cincy 3-0

I don’t know what’s worse right now the Coogs hitting or the camera crew

3 Likes

Bottom 6th

Burckel single, Lovelace single, Triolo singles home Burckel off the wall (misplayed by OF), Lovelace out at 2nd trying to get back to the bag…Cincy leads 3-1

Triolo steals 2nd. Padgett flies out. Davis intentionally walked again. Fuentes HBP to load the bases. Triolo thrown out at the plate after Fuentes is caught way off the bag at 1st.

T7…Cincy leads 3-1

Base running was atrocious that inning and may have just cost the Coogs the game.

1 Like

The first base coach has one job watch the first baseman to busy watching the hitters

1 Like

It’s been atrocious all year. Never seen a team can thrown out on bases so much. Many fingers to point at. Fundamentals are not good on this squad…my stomach hurts! :persevere:

2 Likes

Bottom 9th

Cincy brings their closer in.

• Davis infield single
  • Fuentes grounds into a fielder’s choice, Davis out at 2nd
  • Bielo single, Fuentes to 2nd
  • Hyland singles to center, bases loaded
  • Cherry single scores Fuentes, bases still loaded…Cincy leads 3-2
  • Burckel Ks
  • Way grounds out

Coogs lose 3-2

bad loss.

1 Like

did you go Patrick?

You cannot strike out in that situation

1 Like

did they not have chance to send runner home on single to center.

Snap back to reality.

Eminem

No, Thursday is a bad night for me.

From the sound of it, Bielo couldn’t have scored on Cherry’s single as the runners had to hold until the ball got through.

ok, you already knew what I was going to ask. :grin:

1 Like

Was Lovelace taken out because of the base running blunder? Because his bat has been hot lately, but he wasn’t there for the last at bat.

No, Whitting pinch hit for him the previous at bat in the 8th. He’s been doing that if the Coogs are behind late.

I’m a little surprised he didn’t pinch hit for Burckel in the 9th and bring in a right handed hitter to face the lefty Cincy pitcher. But, I think he wanted Burckel to squeeze, Burckel fouled off the 1st attempt, took a borderline outside pitch that was called a strike, and was down 0-2 without getting the bunt down.

Just got to be ready to play against Cincy. Can’t make fundamental mistakes against this team or they’ll capitalize on them. Cincy doesn’t have great talent, but they’re always a fundamentally sound ball club.

2 Likes