Houston hosts Cincy - Game 3 - Saturday @ 1pm (W 8-4)

Most teams with superstars have them lead off if they have no one to protect them. They won’t walk him to pitch to Triolo

1 Like

Whitting is a little too old school to put Davis at leadoff. He might put Bielo at the top, Davis 2nd, Triolo 3rd though.

That would work to

1 Like

Guys, he is our stud hitter and teams are going to pitch around him whether he bats first or last. Once again, we need for others hitting the ball…

2 Likes

Looks like we are going to use every arm conceivably available - I can’t see Villareal finishing this one as he pitched yesterday, if I remember correctly. Maybe Bretz to be the closer? I am assuming Pettite is still nursing an injury. Any other guesses?

1 Like

Might let Freddy go the distance for the save. Probably depends on the 8th.

If not, I’m guessing Bretz and/or Bayless will come in next.

Bottom 7th

Leadoff Lovelace walk, Burckel sac bunt, Triolo single scores Lovelace, Triolo to 2nd on the throw…Coogs lead 8-2

New pitcher for Cincy. Lockhart Ks. Davis grounds out to 3rd.

T8…UH 8-2

Good call on Bayless - I bet you are right - and leave Bretz in reserve. Nice to have a little cush - (and heckuva job Freddy getting out of the 7th with no runs allowed).

1 Like

True. I think the big concern is when he pulls Fuentes for Thomas late. You then have Thomas on deck with Davis up. No offense to Tuda, but he isn’t going to scare anyone.

1 Like

That was a bit scary. Nice to have Tuda out in center to chase down that liner to end the inning.

They are not going to pitch around Davis if Triolo bats behind him

1 Like

Top 8th

Villarreal works a 1-2-3 inning

M8…UH 8-2

Coogs win this, they’ll be tied for 3rd in the conference with Cincy. 6 losses behind ECU and 5 losses back of Tulane.

Probably won’t catch ECU, but Tulane still has to play at ECU and at Houston.

Bottom 8th

Thomas leads off and is HBP (twice), Padgett moves him to 2nd on a groundout to 1st, wild pitch moves Tuda to 3rd, Bielo Ks. Hyland lines out to 2B.

T9…UH 8-2

Top 9th

Randel on to pitch

• Walk
  • Single
  • Line out to CF
  • HBP loads the bases
  • Double scores 2…Coogs lead 8-4
  • Randel done…Bretz on to pitch
  • Shallow flyout to right
  • Foulout to LF

COOGS WIN! 8-4

3 Likes

Just curious, how many other teams, pro or college level, lead off with their best power hitter…

1 Like

Why would you have Randel pitch on 3 days rest

1 Like

Maybe Fred should have pitched the ninth…we absolutely cannot afford to lose this game

Maybe the coaches thought he could get the job done…it isn’t like we have a great number of options in our pen

Guessing he’s moving back to the Sunday starter next week and they wanted him to get work today.

He didn’t have it today though.

1 Like