Houston hosts Cincy - Game 3 - Saturday @ 1pm (W 8-4)

Take the series. That’s big. Need to finish off SHSU on Tuesday in Sugarland.

1 Like

The main thing here is that we won and walking Davis finally back fired on them LOL

1 Like

So - 5 of the last 6 conference games won. My impression, without having a good place to go check the stats, is that the team is reducing the number of fielding errors. Hopefully the team can improve its base running down the stretch. However - given where we were a month ago - to be in the hunt for the tourney is most welcome.

3 Likes

Errors are definitely down and the tram is hitting better, although getting runs in can still be an issue at times.

Cincy being a bad RPI team hurts our RPI a bit and SHSU going in the tank isn’t helping either. We’ll probably finish the weekend around 43.

However, finishing 2nd or 3rd in conference may be more important. If we’re close in RPI, it’s likely we get in if we’re towards the top of the conference.

1 Like

We haven’t played that great in Houston.

3 Likes

True. Counting the SHSU away game, we’re 16-12 in the Houston area. 8-4 outside of the Houston area.

We’ve got 10 games left in the Houston area: 7 at Schroeder, 1 at Rice, and 2 at Sugarland.

We’ve got 6 regular season games in Florida (3@USF, 3@UCF) and then the Conference Tourney in Clearwater.

1 Like

Any chance we’ll cancel SHSU on Tuesday because of their bad RPI? It brings us down no matter what and we already have the cup.

Since the series is named after Don Sanders, you probably need to ask him. :wink:

Their rpi is is around 70…so its nowhere close to wanting to cancel.

1 Like

Plus it’s at a neutral field that helps if we win

By SHSU tanking their RPI, I meant that they were up in the 30’s about 2 weeks ago, but have dropped down to 70. Hurts us because we lose a quad 1 win and possibly another. We still want to play them though as we have worse RPI teams coming up:

We play for the win. We have a lot of crappy RPI’s ahead of us, but let’s not forget, we have lost to crappy RPI’s. We need to win the vast majority to pad the win totals and then do well in the conference tourney.

I think if we can win at least 13 of our remaining games, we’ll be in good shape heading into the conference tournament. That’s going to be tough, but this team has shown in the past that it can go on runs like that in April-May

HOUSTON NOTES
Offense:
• Triolo recorded his second three-hit game of the series, tying his season high, in a 3-for-4 effort. He finished with two singles, one double, three RBI, one run scored and one stolen base. His three RBI also tied his season high.
• Padgett and Bielamowicz each collected two hits, respectively. Padgett went 2-for-3 with one single, one double, two walks, two runs scored and one stolen base, while Bielamowicz finished 2-for-5 with two singles, two RBI, and one run scored.
• Burckel went 1-for-2 with a RBI single and one walk.
• Thomas, who entered into the game in the fifth inning, recorded a career-high two stolen bases.

Pitching:
• Seven pitchers saw action for the Cougars in the win.
• Junior right-hander Devon Roedahl (6-2) picked up his sixth win of the season, with all coming out of the bullpen. Roedahl retired all five batters he face to get through the fifth inning.
• Junior Sean Bretz entered in the ninth and got the final two outs to end Cincinnati’s rally and record the first save of his career.
• Junior Brayson Hurdsman went two and two-thirds innings in the start, allowing just one run and recording four strikeouts.
• Junior Carter Henry came on in relief and recorded the final out of the third inning.
• Senior Nolan Bond pitched into the fifth inning before being relieved by Roedahl.
• Junior Fred Villarreal tossed two scoreless frames in the seventh and eighth innings.
• Senior Ryan Randel recorded one out in the ninth inning.

https://twitter.com/madelineungaro/status/1119960752524333056

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1119732427876904961

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1119771481578164224

I swear I googled SHSU RPI and saw 150 but I trust you guys.

Bookmark this: 2019 College Baseball RPI (Live) | WarrenNolan.com

1 Like