Houston... leap into the top tier of G5 (athletic)

You can argue the Cougars might deserve to be in that group already, but the struggles of the past couple of years have dinged the image. Houston has everything in place…

the Cougars have all the resources to get back into that top tier in the G5.

1 Like

So the whole article is based on the status of a Football program n no mention of the full Athletic programs as a entity.

1 Like

? I don’t understand your question. It is a G5 mailbag from The Athletic. Houston football is the topic.

Wasn’t really a question Cary. My response to the article was it was all based on a University and how their Football program is standing instead looking at the whole Athletic program as a whole for inclusion to P5. Yrs ago when some schools were being considered for BIG 12, UC was hanging their hat onto being a very strong Basketball program as a Lead. W/O mentioning names you know who they are, there are few programs up East that are in P5 way more for their Basketball ( just played one them ) status then Football was my point. But no worries, I guess the article was written strictly on Football status for inclusion to P5.

If Football were the determining factor Kansas would be in the Patriot Conference. Yet they are routinely bantered about a move to the PAC or BIG.

8 Likes

That’s my point the whole article was based only how Football program was doing.
Might as well put Syracuse with Ivy League if that’s the case or Patriot League works also :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Maybe they’re arguing that we should be precluded due to a suspicious FB program. Its reasonable but that metric doesn’t seem to be equally applied.

Who knows. I jump over to Football side for 2 mins and I see No Good. hehe

1 Like

UH IS top tier of the G5 already and has been for quite some time.

I’m happy to see folks raising their expectations for UH football, based on the success we’re enjoying in MBB. Maybe the MBB success will spillover to football, with increased student interest and more season ticket sales. I can’t wait until the fall! See you at NRG!

1 Like

You might want to tell that to the Writer from The Athletic who wrote the story.

The Coogs have grossly underperformed. It is a lower top 25 program that plays like a mid level sun belt team.

4 Likes

That’s because they are AAU, and the flagship university of their respective state and are “already in the club”.

In basketball, yes, in football (which is what this article seems to be about) we are right on the bubble imo. Memphis/UCF and even Cincinnati/Temple have had more success in conference than we have.

Just saying 2015 and 2016 isn’t that far in the rear view mirror that folks should forget.

1 Like

Oh I agree, but as a whole our football program has been pretty terrible over the last 30 years outside of a few seasons.

2 Likes

Yes Sir, we haven’t had the brightest of days at times but with all the new facilities and just the sheer market potential of UH there is no way it’s not at minimum the top of G5 IMO

1 Like

Yep we just need to start recruiting and winning like it!

4 Likes

It’s time to field a football team our basketball team can be proud of!

6 Likes

The top of the G5 is better than the dregs of the P5 across the board…

2 Likes