Houston officials have signaled they will drop opposition to UT expansion

How can you say it is highly unlikely to become a 4 year undergrad campus when they haven’t even released a plan for it other than the artists rendering?

The UT-Houston campus will be limited because UT will make concessions to make it possible in the first place. I rather doubt that Sen. Whitmire and Rep. Coleman – both supporters of UH interests – will let UT operate the Houston campus in an unrestrained manner. As long as those two are on board with a deal, rest assured that UH’s interests will be vigorously defended.

1 Like

Because that what makes most sense for UT, thats why…a campus of the nature i mentioned would be a good complement to other UT programs of a similar nature already in Houston and Galveston.

While it will probably be sort of a medical hub, the main purpose of the new Houston campus will be to make inroads into the energy community per the last update from the UT exploratory team. Much like UH’s Energy Park, they are looking for energy partners to bring offices to the campus in order to be able for students to work directly with them and gain experience prior to leaving college.

If this is truly what it will be, then it will probably siphon some potential business away from UH’s own Energy Park which is why we are so against it; if companies have a choice between UT/UH, they’ll go where the money is at. However, if it truly is a collaborative entity like what McRaven says, it can be a boon for everyone involved much like the UTMB is (UH students are there already). I have no doubts that this will be a 4-year campus of some sorts down the line (McRaven has basically inferred as much), probably in about 20 years.

If Texas drops their opposition to UH having a proper med school as part of this, I think I’d look the other way. We need a med school to reach AAU status. With our current trajectory, Big 12 money to stop pulling money for athletics from the University, and a true med school, we would have a good chance at AAU consideration by the time that 4 year campus becomes a reality…if so, a 4 year UT satellite campus probably has no bearing on UH.

1 Like

Medical may have not have been the exact word for what i think it will be…the Exact word, i think, is RESEARCH…That is what i think the campus will specialize in, and that can delve into a number of academic areas…everything from medicine to science to oil and gas, etc…

Spot on.

Why should they spend PUBLIC FUNDS to even open a research center? If they are so concerned about research then GIVE US THE MONEY. Remember, THEY ARE USING PUF not private funds to establish this campus.
Why should we let them TAKE potential money from us?
They are concerned with their students? Then let them do an “energy master program” at UH. They are Schools that have great research specialty programs why should uta invade our turf and not do it in Austin?
I keep reading about the UC system. uta has made it clear that THEY are the dominant force and will do everything to stay that way.
I would be all for it if we played on even terms. WE ARE NOT. I think that we need to keep a clear head on this and not be “seduced” by a possible small12 invite.
uta opens up the PUF equally tomorrow? I am 100% for that deal. Is that likely coming? You know the answer.
Let’s pretend that this “arrangement” gets us into the small12 and then uta leaves for another conference then WHAT? We all know that a “Super conference” might be around the corner, again THEN WHAT?

1 Like

Don’t look at a gift horse in the mouth. It occurred to me overnight that UH has a lot of expenses coming up if it leaves The American for the Big 12. UH would owe at least $10 million to The American if it leaves. CTH earns a $5 million bonus if UH joins the Big 12. Look, $15 million in extra expenses would put a serious dent in UH’s athletic budget. It would be great, as part of a deal to create some sort of limited UT-Houston campus, if UT paid a significant amount to UH to be part of the expansion. It would never be specified that UT would be paying for UH’s athletic expenses, but it could certainly be seen that way.

How would you feel about PUF assets being spent in that manner?

I think Tom Herman’s bonus is pre pledged by alumni donors but I could be wrong.

Money is fungible. UH should take money from both the alumni donors and UT.

It is a big deal for UH to get an invitation to the Big 12. But make no mistake. UT wants that Houston campus far, far more than UH wants in the Big 12. On top of that, UH has political muscle on this issue. UH has the negotiating leverage … it should leave no money on the table.

2 Likes

interesting view, TAMU…sounds good to me…

Frak that. Get that BS school outta my city. I still say we sue and go after ut’s PUF money over this.

That new UT-Houston thing is a super-dangerous Trojan Horse; it should be stopped at all cost!

Not only that, their paying something like nine times the market value of the land smells to High Heaven. What needs to be done is to have a genuine investigation to discover exactly where all the money went! I suspect some people in high places on the 40 acres and other places in Austin just might wind up in jail.

But then, I am the suspicious type!

1 Like

If there is a major scandal with that land purchase and people going to jail, I could see that as possibly helping our case to amend the constitution and open up the PUF.

1 Like

don’t they already have a satellite campus near Houston?..isn’t called texas a&m…aren’t they part of the UT system?..zing!

To even consider accepting uta moving into Houston, get part of our present and future research revenues with the prospect of a four year School just to get into the small12 makes absolutely no sense. It makes sense to uta NOT TO UH.
uta buying that piece of land was not for a used car lot or a psychic parlor.We all know the real meaning behind it. Don’t you remember how mcraven was lying to everyone…PUBLICLY.
I want like everyone of you to be part of a P5 but NEVER AT THIS COST.
We have never sold out to uta and we shall never consider it.

1 Like

Let’s add this to the conversation: Report: Texas support of Houston to Big 12 is tied to recent land deal - Burnt Orange Nation

There’s a bottom line here. It is by no means a done deal that UH has the votes to support our joining the Big 12.

You do realize that UT offers all kinds of degrees in the city of Houston from places like the UT Health Science Center. In fact M. D. Anderson has quietly been offering bachelors degrees for a while.

To your point exactly. The question remains WHY WOULD uta needed to purchase a huge parcel of land with PUF if it were not for a four year campus?
This question has been at the core of the uth opposition.

They offer a bachelor’s in nursing and one in dental hygine currently. I’m ok with that limited programs as we are going to compete with nursing.