• UIW brings a 3-2 record into Saturday’s game. The Cardinals dropped a 91-87 decision to Loyola Marymount on Wednesday night in San Antonio, Texas, ending a three-game winning streak to open the season.
• UIW opened season with wins against Southwestern (87-71), Trinity (93-57) and McMurry (88-49).
• Against Loyola Marymount, freshman guard Christian Peevy came off the bench to lead the Cardinals with 20 points, thanks to 6-of-8 shooting from the field and 8-of-9 shooting from the free throw line… Guard Shawn Johnson added 18 points with three 3-pointers and a team-high nine rebounds, while guard Jalin Hart finished with 13 points five rebounds and a game-high seven assists… Forward Simi Socks posted 11 points in the loss.
• This season, Peevy averages 15.0 points per game to lead four Cardinals in double digits… Socks and Charles Brown III are tied for second on the team with 14.0 points per game… Johnson stands fourth with 12.3 rebounds per contest but leads the team with 8.0 rebounds , 2.0 blocks and 3.5 steals per game.
• Head Coach Ken Burmeister is in his 12th season at UIW and his 21st as a collegiate head coach… Has compiled a 180-118 record at UIW and is 308-242 during his head coaching career.
• Previously built a 16-9 record at Trinity (Texas) (1998-99), 40-71 record at Loyola (Ill.) (1994-98) and a 72-44 record at UTSA (1986-90).
• Saturday’s game will be the first time that Burmeister has faced Houston or Head Coach Kelvin Sampson in his career.
• 1971 graduate of St. Mary’s (Texas).