Houston Starts Homestand vs. UIW on Saturday (W 97-58)

Man I can get used to these kind of wins.

1 Like

Patrick I feel like at some point we’re gonna have to throw you a bbq thank you party. Really appreciate everything you do.

8 Likes

From the post-game, Sampson said tonight was the first time they played zone defense. They looked good in it vs. UIW. From watching most of the game, this team looks legit with real D1 players at every position and some on the bench as well.

2 players with double double.
Forced over 20 TOs on defense.
Lots of points in the paint.
Good interior passing.

The only concerns I had watching were:

1. FT shooting – was a killer in the only loss and continues to rear its ugly head
  2. Brooks’ shooting has been off recently (but Sampson praised his zone work); hoping the steal and lay-in late in the game helps his confidence.
  3. Corey Davis can be explosive but, with this team, do you want your PG taking more shots than Gray and VanBeck if he is only going to make half of them? Don’t get me wrong – I like the 1-2 punch of Robinson-Davis and Davis made some great passes off penetration but he seemed to sometimes look for his shot first (and quickly) rather than get others involved.

Once this team gets more comfortable with each other, this should be fun to watch again. I like what Sampson has done and am hoping this season is the start to some stability in the team make up.

1 Like

I think the bad free throw shooting is kind of who this team is. The good news with that is, plenty of good teams are bad at free throw shooting (Cincy is awful at it for example). It’s stressful, though.

1 Like

Thanks. I just enjoy doing it and love the Coogs.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112517aaa.html

It was the first time the Cougars had six double-digit scorers since TaShawn Thomas (22), Jherrod Stiggers (17), Joseph Young (14), Danuel House (12), Brandon Morris (10) and Leon Gibson (10) accomplished the feat in a 106-59 win against Louisiana College on Nov. 19, 2010.

What’s up with Alley? Is he injured?

CKS has said he’s good to go, but he needs more time to get adjusted and up to speed.

Think that coach wanted to get guys some game reps with the zone last night which is why we didn’t see some guys play.

It’s good to see Fabian clearly adjusting to the speed of the D1 game. He’ll still have bumps in the road, but man he does soooooooooo much stuff you can’t coach.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/934934718071443456

Goodness, who is putting the videos together? They are SO hard to watch with all the back and forth camera movements and choppy clips.