Houston to use All-America DT Ed Oliver on offense

That cheap shot still pisses me off. Our player or not, I can’t stand it when people take cheap shots. Why should someone get hurt because you are weak and can’t stop your opponent.

3 Likes

Same type of play with which Jamal Charles took out Brian Cushing.

I’m not so sure. When the OLB from Fresno took him out at the ankles I about had a heart attack!

2 Likes

Defensive play and offensive play are two different mind sets. I wish Oliver the best, he better have his head on a swivel when on offense.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see it any differently than guards taking aim at his knees from the side when he’s playing defense. The only difference is on defense he’s playing his normal position while someone takes a dirty cheap shot at him. I just don’t see a greater likelihood of getting injured on offense than on defense other than it’s one more play and therefore, one more opportunity for contact. Just my opinion. Now, if Ed came out and said “No way, I’m a defensive lineman and I don’t want to risk injury on gimmicky offensive plays,” I’m equally cool with that. The man is trying to get paid and he’s earned the right (to an extent) to tell the coaches what he is an isn’t comfortable with.

He can be a decoy at the goal line as well. If he’s in there, teams will want to account for him. Gives the Coogs another weapon.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. I guess the point I was trying to make is that Ed on offense is a gimmick. Ed on defense is a game changer.

I like using him as a decoy, but that will only work a few times.

Ed’s Heisman case will be a lot stronger if he is able to score a time or two from his DT position rather than on a gimmick play.

1 Like

100% agree with this. It’s just a lot harder to score as a DT than a trick play on offense.

For those of you more knowledgeable about defensive linemen than me, will Ed be relegated to an interior position in the pros, or is he versatile enough to play on the outside some? With his speed and mobility, how crazy would it be to see him drop into coverage in the flats occasionally or spy out a RB over the middle? This is a legitimate question of mine, so if it’s an absurd question, I apologize. Just thinking this might be a way to give him more opportunities at eye catching plays like INTs or completely destroying a RB on a hot read in the flats.

I think what you describe is exactly how he’ll be used. Levon Kirkland was a huge LB for the Steelers and he played at around 270, depending on your sources.

I think Ed could play DE with his speed, drop into coverage and even inside on short yardage.

Maybe to keep the offense honest, but you’re taking away his biggest upside, absolutely destroying the inside rush attack. He’s still fast enough, and has a high enough motor, that’s he’ll make plays in space after the pocket breaks down. I’d line him at nose every play though.

Depends on the defense he goes to. I’m not sure he could be an every down 3-4 DT in the NFL. Those guys are usually space eaters that eat up blockers and allow others to make the play. 3-4 DE like what JJ Watt does would probably make sense; JJ moves around the line depending on the he call and where the D.C. feels he can best be utilized. If he goes to a 4-3, he could be used as a DT in a similar role he has now.

Love to see him hook up with Wade Phillips or Vance Joseph on the next level. Both would figure out how to put him in the best possible position. Problem is, the Rams were pretty good last year Andy probably won’t suffer a huge drop off and the Broncos signed Case to improve their squad. Doubt either team will be drafting that high.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1022169340936892416

Agree totally

I wanna see him kick an extra point!!!

3 Likes

How about go out for a pass on a fake punt? I thought of that one this morning!

A 93-yard punt return by Big Ed would put Desmond Howard to shame.

4 Likes

LMAO!