Houston - Tulane Series Take 1 (L 7-1)

Along with the umpires…

Yea! We got a hit. Way to go Corey! The second hit tonite for the Coogs. Tulane has 10.

And then a double play :sweat:

Oops. Another double play for the Coog’s batters. I guess this Tulane pitcher is just way too good. (Probably not). What’s up with our Coogs? That #12 ranking the organization keeps putting by our logo on the screen is not very accurate, in my opinion. Is it the players, or the coaches? What a strange season. Maybe they will get it worked out in the end.

Thats a novel strategy…if you can’t hit the pitcher, let him hit the batter…Genius! We have a lead off batter on base

Pretty poor showing the last few games. I noticed with my son (5 years old) at the Sunday game when we beat ECU and the kids got to run the bases and then go to the dugout to meet the players and get a signature on their posters, the players were not very friendly at all. Even though they won. I just had a bad feeling about the culture in the dugout. My gut told me, this team is not right with themselves. My son should have been happy, but he looked kind of shell shocked after running that gauntlet. He only smiled when I told him “great job!” What gives, Coogs Baseball? You got the talent…do you got the heart?

Welp…that’ll do it

7-0 in the top of the 9th. Tulane will have to hit a lot of our players to gives us a chance, at this rate, if and when we get our last chance at bat.

Julks gets one back with a homer.

That’s it. Coogs lose 7-1. Need to come back strong tomorrow.

Just 6 more to go…

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042117aaa.html

HOUSTON NOTES

Corey Julks extends his on-base streak to 21 straight games with his single in the seventh.
Julks belted his second home run of the year.
Houston has now tallied 31 home runs and 15 in conference play alone.
Top Offensive Players
Corey Julks | 2x4, R, RBI, HR

Houston was led offensively by Corey Julks – who belted his second home run of the year – a two-out, solo shot in the bottom of the ninth. The Cougars were held to just four hits on the night, led by Julks’ two-hit day. Connor Wong and Tyler Bielamowicz also had a hit.

Pitching Breakdown:
Mitch Ullom | 5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 2 K
Fred Villarreal | 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 0 K
Nolan Bond | 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Sophomore Mitch Ullom slid into the Friday start after projected starter Trey Cumbie was under the weather. Ullom allowed two runs on seven hits and four walks with two strikeouts in 5.1 innings of work. He fell to 5-3 on the year with the loss.

Freshman Fred Villarreal took over in the sixth, tossing 2.2 innings. The righty allowed four runs on four hits with two walks. He handed the ball to sophomore Nolan Bond, who allowed a home run – a three-run shot – and struck out one in 1.0 inning of work.

I will say this about tonight’s game, strange night starting with Cumbie’s scratch for illness (Again, thanks Seth). Coogs put the ball in play all night long, only 1 K, but Tulane just made the plays. Also didn’t help that there were some questionable calls as the call on the ball down the line was ridiculous; if that ball is called fair, like it should have been, the Coogs probably score a run and have another runner in scoring position. Complexion of the game completely changes at that point.

But, hey, tip of the hat to Tulane. Kaplan in LF made play after play robbing the Coogs of at least 2 extra base-hits (one potential homerun) and made a nice play on another ball. They also put the game away in the 9th basically making any comeback attempt by the Coogs moot.

1 Like