Houston vs. Holy Cross Game 1 (L 3-2)

Cumbie has 10Ks through 4

HC changing pitchers again

Single by Lockhart, PB, and a ball have him at 3rd with no outs in the B4

Sac Fly by Triolo ties it up a 2

Champion thrown out at the plate on a single by Minter after walks by Champion and Brown.

12Ks for Cumbie through 5

And another new pitcher for HC

Walk by Hollis and a HBP on Davis put runners at 1st/2nd w 1 out

Ks by Lockhart and Triolo end the threat

T6 still 2-2

Cumbie hits his pitch count after 5 1/3. Really settled down after the 1st 3 batters.

Pulido got the last 2 batters

4 K’s for Pulido through 1.2 IP

16 total for the Coogs through 7

Bases juiced for Triolo after walks to Hollis and Lockhart and a Davis HBP

And Triolo Ks

T8 still 2-2

Weak hitting effort tonight.

Runners on the corners and no outs for HC in the 8th

Grounded to Davis and I think he forgot the situation because he ends up going to 1st instead of Home.

HC leads 3-2

Pulido gets out of further trouble

We have walked 6 times in this game. That should be 4 or more runs in the books.

Definitely not executing and taking advantage of opportunities.

1 Like

What I thought also. I did not see an JC guys coming in that wowed like in the past couple of years.

Hopefully some people step up.

Have him listed as a pitcher this year.

Going to the 9th.

HC leads 3-2

six people on base in the last four innings and struck out nine times.

Couple of bad Ks in big situations. Got unlucky when Brown lined out hard, but right at the 3B which ended in a double play. Coldiron hit one to the wall in left center but the wind was blowing in and knocked it down for a fly out. Champion was thrown out at the plate on a ball hit to shallow left. Redden was caught stealing on a ball that didn’t get far enough away from the catcher.

Missed opportunities.

Hurdsman on for Pulido with one out in the 9th. Good outing from Joey
probably gives up 0 runs if Davis has gone home.

Hurdsman Ks 2 to end the inning. 19 total tonight.

B9 HC leads 3-2

Minter, Coldiron, Hollis due up

Minter Ks
Coldiron singles to center
Hollis grounds out to 1st on a hit and run- Coldiron to 2nd
Davis fouls out to 1st
Coogs lose 3-2

20 k’s by our pitching and we lose
ouch

1 Like

Just hoping I am wrong, but this team has the look of the 2016 season. Good pitching but cannot score runs.

If as Kronke said, if several of the players that were 270 hitters last year don’t step to the next level, it is going to be a year of lost opportunities. You should not be holding a team to 2 runs, striking out 20 and losing.

A team like Holy Cross has maybe 2 or 3 pitchers (I know they made a regional) that are good. We made them look like they have a whole team of great pitchers tonight. (since I lost count of how many pitched).

I hope I am just being a grump and we come out the next two games and scorch them, but I did not see anything tonight that makes me think tomorrow will be different. Love to be wrong.

Definitely not a good start.

Let’s hope that we take two out of three.