Houston vs. Holy Cross Game 1 (L 3-2)

Definitely a disappointing loss.

We wasted a 20-k performance by our pitching staff.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/021618aaa.html

HOUSTON HITS

Trey Cumbie struck out 12 for a career-high, surpassing his previous high of 11, which came on May 13, 2017 at Tulane.
Cumbie struck out the side in back-to-back innings (2nd & 3rd).
Tucker Redden and Drew Minter each recorded their first hits as Cougars.
Six different Cougars recorded one hit each.
Joey Pulido tossed 3.0 innings in relief, tying his career-high in strikeouts with six.
Houston stranded 10 bases runners.
Cougar pitching struck out a combined 20 Holy Cross hitters – the 20 are the most by a Houston staff in a 9-inning game since 19 vs. Memphis back in 2002.

TOP OFFENSIVE PLAYERS
Joe Davis | 1x3, RBI
Jared Triolo | 0x3, RBI, SF
Lael Lockhart Jr. | 1x3, R, SB
Connor Hollis | 1x4, R

Joe Davis and Jared Triolo each recorded an RBI, while Connor Hollis and Lael Lockhart Jr. scored the two Cougar runs.

PITCHING BREAKDOWN
Trey Cumbie | 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 12 K
Joey Pulido | 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K
Brayson Hurdsman | 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Starter Trey Cumbie struck out 12 in 5.1 innings of work, allowing two runs on three hits and one walk. He was issued the no-decision after the Cougars tied the game in the fourth inning.

Senior reliever Joey Pulido was dominant early out of the bullpen, fanning six, including striking out the side in the seventh. He allowed the go-ahead run, but only surrendered three hits with no walks. He was tagged with the loss, falling to 0-1.

Sophomore Brayson Hurdsman pitched the final two outs in the ninth, striking out a pair.

Outside of Davis, no one returning in the lineup last night had hit more than 2 home runs.

We are banking on freshmen and a JC player who did not play to the end of the season to deliver this year.

We lost 39 home runs out of our lineup from last year.

This looks very much like 2016 after 2015. In 2015 we had the big bat in Iriat. The next year things went south. After 2016, we cleared out the lineup and brought in several freshmen and Schreiner who gave us the big bat. His bat caused Wong and Julks to get better looks and played a big part in them getting better swings.

We are betting on Davis to be that guy this year, but there are no other big bats I see in the lineup. In that case, I pitch around Davis, if and when he gets hot, unless someone steps up. Again, I don’t see anyone in the lineup ready to do that. Last year, there was potential in Julks, Wong, and Davis to hit the long ball around Schreiner and they delivered and everyone fed off each other because you could not pitch around.

I was really surprised to see the roster this year. The two JUCO guys with pop, Needham and Elvir, left before the season started which means they weren’t going to start.

Padgett not being in the lineup hurts. Also surprised Slaughter isn’t out there as he seemed to have some pop last year and really pounded the ball in summer ball. Guess Minter and Brown really looked good and both are supposed to have some power, but, as you said, they’re freshmen so it’ll take some time.

I do agree, although it is just one game, that this team has some similarities to the squad 2 years ago. Need to find the offense or we’ll waste an incredible pitching staff.