Houston vs Northwestern State - Game 2 Saturday @ 6:30pm (W 5-4)

Yes the Wayne Graham that was recently fired. So I guess in last say 6-7 years TW had to go to his boss ea yr and say I really can’t compete w recruiting in this area bec WG is down the street. Matter of fact to give credit where due UH has had better program than Rice last 5 yrs. Lastly you are making my point , kids wanted to go to Rice bec of WG not bec of large budget for baseball. Thats where I feel TW has fallen short he hasn’t made enough in roads in the immediate area w the strong H.S. Baseball programs and that has kept the program from taking the next step. I rather not converse w you Mr Shaggy, I really prefer not to.

https://twitter.com/sanjacgator43/status/1096952817477173248

https://twitter.com/luisDman96/status/1096990511800438784

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1096996914355204096

https://twitter.com/American_BSB/status/1097022922789662720

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1097171729464606720

Shaggy don’t like his responses being covered up. I’m done. Some people don’t like hearing Truth syrup. BIG Baseball fan here just feel TW has stayed at same level last 4-5 years and needs to take program to bigger heights.
#GoCoogs

1 Like

2016 Attendance averages for ACC and AAC teams in the top 50 and number of CWS appearances the last 20 years.

Clemson 4664 (4)
Florida State 4048 (6)
Virginia 3675 (4)
Miami 2917 (8)
Louisville 2660 (4)
Tulane 2302 (2)
Wichita State 2241 (0)
NC State 1674 (1)
North Carolina 1471 (7)
Georgia Tech 1367 (2)

ACC and AAC teams not in top 50 that have appearances the last 20 years.
ZERO

North Carolina and Georgia Tech making appearances despite Houston type attendance numbers just means attendance isn’t the only thing that counts. There are many factors but saying that Houston should be more competitive in recruiting with schools that have 2x and 3x the budget, the attendance and the CWS history is just plain silly.

Lot of digging n pulling to try make a point. Why go back 3 yrs. You have no idea what budgets any of these Univ have for baseball . You selectively respond to what will work for you. Why not respond to other points I made about how TW hasn’t made deep enough penetration to get kids from CyRanch, Bellaire, etc. Nothing to do w budgets,these kids just want to go to great Baseball program n be coached at a high level. Baseball is a whole other matter where large budget schools as people refer them as,can go get HC from smaller schools. David Pierce went from SHSU >Tulane>UT bec he’s a good baseball coach n can recruit well. He recruited great while at SHSU…in Regionals year after year and at Tulane. Budgets did not hinder him from having great Baseball programs esp at SHSU. No one will ever win with you , you’ll go dig some other non important long stat n on n on. Let’s agree to move on. You going make me miss Basketball game making my point w you.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/1097186414544994306

FYI - last summer, I met with a guy who’s son was playing for one of the Houston Bandidos baseball teams and he asked me why UH hasn’t yet completed our training facility while Sam Houston had already gotten their’s done. While I wasn’t able to answer his concern, the state of our (incomplete) facilities hasn’t been as conducive for top flight recruiting as some folks seem to think they are. And so I suspect that budget constraints are a real and obvious issue for some top prospects and their families.

1 Like

The AAC is probably a “good enough” conference for baseball. The P5 thing isn’t as big a factor in that sport as it is in other sports.

Take the B1G for example. It’s a super-power conference in most sports…but NOT in baseball. I wouldn’t rank it above in the AAC in baseball, although to be fair, the B1G has produced a decent number of baseball national champions.

That said, I gotta agree with Shaggy on this one. Those schools that Chester expects for us to compete with undoubtedly have larger baseball budgets than UH. It’s unrealistic to expect our recruiting to consistently match theirs, BUT…UH will still draw a lot of good players simply because a) there are enough in TX HS and in the JUCOs to go around, AND b) most of the best ones are going to go straight into the draft/minors…those that play Division I baseball are only those that take their education a bit more seriously. UH will get more than enough of those to be competitive.

1 Like

I would agree with Chester’s point that it’s time for TW to take the program even higher. He’s been here long enough for us to raise our expectations.

5 Likes

We have 5 conference titles in 5 years.

I am going to show more restraint than I have historically and simply say this is ludicrous. TW should be on an ice cold seat. Only Burrell and Sampson should be on cooler seats. Beyond 5 conference titles in 5 years and 4 tournament appearances in the last 5 seasons, the infrastructure of the program has improved DRAMATICALLY and TW has driven that.

Thankfully, nobody with any kind of meaningful sway in the program shares your position. And I don’t say this as a personal attack on you, but we have an excellent coach who’s a UH alum and has been part of the program for every great season in the modern era (either as an assistant or HC). UH should expect the tournament and to compete for the league title every year, but we can’t just snap our fingers and become an annual Omaha contender.

Hell the state’s 2 “flagships” can’t even do that with better conference affiliations and significantly more resources.

3 Likes

This is like three day old convo and I made my opinion and will leave it there. I could respond with several examples of why I think program hasn’t advanced on the field over last 4-5 yrs but will restrain and choose not to. Your usually not mild w your responses so for sake of not letting this get out of hand and knowing the Admin here would rather just have this discussion end , you and I will disagree on where Baseball program is and could be within rank and file. Btw several on here agreed w Vancoog post where he agreed w me that TW has been here long enough that expectations need to be raised w Baseball program at this juncture. At least I’m not the only one who is ludicrous on here.
Good day Sir!

As a former player not from the TW era I am proud of the program he is building. From the facilities to the results, he has done an outstanding job.

10-15 years ago the Houston Heat, Kyle Chapman and Angels ran the Houston baseball select scene. Those coaches would go out of their way to not send their players to UH. That is changing and it is due to Todd and what he has built.

And Chester, there is a Cy Ranch kid on the roster. Check your facts.

3 Likes

Man, haven’t heard those names in years.

I was respecting your response till the last sentence. On your post I wouldn’t expect to hear anything different from someone who was directly involved w the program whether TW was there or not. No need to burn bridges right! As far Cypress kids, I have lived in Cypress since 2002 and know where all the kids go or have gone whether it be CyRanch, CyFair , Langham Creek, CyWoods etc so that part is not a good fact check. I know of 2 kids, one went to A&M, other out of State that UH might have been able to land with little bit deeper recruiting. I’m not TW basher at all, I go to UH College baseball games all the way from Cypress, I just gave my opinion on what I see from a recruiting standpoint in last several years. Keep throwing the shade though if you want I’m 59 and can handle it. I won’t throw personal insults like some do on here(not my style) if someone has different opinion than the norm.
You too have a Good day Sir!
Cypress Resident!

Wasn’t familiar w you on here but I see you joined 30 mins ago so you could respond to my posts.
Good job…Welcome!

Not throwing shade, I dont even know what that is and I certainly did not throw any personal insults. I just disagree with you about the state of the program.

Have a good day!
Former Cypress kid

1 Like