How Kelvin Sampson Made Houston In To a Winner

How Kelvin Sampson Made Houston In To a Winner

https://mericanmania.com/f/how-kelvin-sampson-made-houston-in-to-a-winner

The crazy part is Kelvin Sampson isn’t doing it without recruiting star prospects. In the five years Sampson has been at Houston he has signed just one class better than 6th in the AAC recruiting rankings, and that came in 2017 when he inked the 4th best recruiting class in the conference. Sampson is recruiting his own guys that he thinks have the work ethic. Once they have the work ethic part down, Sampson has been able to develop players to another level many didn’t think they would be able to go to.

3 Likes

Must reading… excellent article :+1:

Beat USF

3 Likes

Great read.

1 Like

CKS finds kids that (1) play with effort; (2) will commit to playing defense; (3) they’re coachable; and, (4) that will buy-in to his culture of effort, defense, and rebounding. He can teach kids to shoot, block out and rebound, and learn offensive and defensive schemes. I’ve heard him say more than once: Effort, playing defense, and being coachable are non-negotiable. I can’t believe more coaches don’t follow the pillars of success that CKS has used throughout his career. We, at UH, have hit a gold mine with the hiring of CKS.

Go Coogs. Peace.

4 Likes

Well I’ll tell you what, if Sampson gets us to the Elite 8 or better, our recruiting should be even better than it has been. To think that we have a team that ranked 6th in the AAC, then I can only imagine how good we can be with a #1 class in the conference.

1 Like

I doubt those recruiting rankings include transfers, and that’s where Sampson has pulled a lot of his impact players. Guys like Jarreau, Corey Davis Jr, Devin Davis, Damyan Dotson, and Devonta Pollard all came in as transfers.

1 Like

I would love to see Kai Mitchell from SHSU come in as a one year transfer. That guy is a pretty good baller.

1 Like

That was so painful I couldn’t finish reading it. Repeated and terrible misuse of words. I’m glad someone was paying attention to the team, but next time get an editor, please!

1 Like