How the AAC will push 'Power 6' narrative in 2018 college football season

Why would they invite us???..we accept the offer, now we are no better than division 2 to them and on espn +…no, no, no!!!

2 Likes

I think we’d have our own poll. Clearly we would still schedule P5 schools, and we’d still beat P5 schools. I think it’s only a short term solution, but if the money and the recruits start showing up after a couple of G5 college football playoff championships, what better way to tell the self proclaimed P5 conferences finally inviting us in, “screw you”? It could work, but it definitely would improve our national brand.

Yes I think the G5 playoffs would be a success. I can see the national championship game being at Jerry’s World and sold out.

I’m not saying the G5 Playoffs should be done but has anyone looked into it or asked a network how much money could be generated from it?

1 Like

This is the argument for a G5 playoff and we are being forced into the position by the way the CFP Invitational is being played out that it is sounding like a good idea.

But like Derrick, I have absolutely no interest in being relegated to a Division 2 league and want UH to have every opportunity to compete at the highest level. We would have ZERO chance of being invited to any P5 expansion because there would never be another expansion. If this scenario were to play out, the P5 would be 64 team which I believe, without doing the math, means there might be a couple of slots for expansion, then that’s it…no more expansion

We would be the darlings of a second class league. Under UT, A&M, TCU and Tx Tech

Absolutely NO NO NO !!! To quote Derrick

2 Likes

The only way I would be ok with a true P5/G5 split is if there were to be a relegation system, where there is an opportunity to compete based on merit and move up into the higher league. That would be a way to balance out the haves/have nots

Also, kiss goodbye scheduling any P5 opponents. There’s already a movement among them not to schedule FCS teams. They’d keep it exclusively P5

1 Like

Looks like it may be time to seriously consider legal action, although I don’t know how that might proceed. CFP not leaving much doubt about G5 exclusion – following ESPN narrative?

3 Likes

lol Well if what you’re saying is true, then let’s prepare to remain in the AAC (or whatever else they chose to call it after realignment), forever. If we honestly think that the CFP committee is colluding to keep us G5 teams down, then we can kiss any power 5 expansion goodbye, because we’re not getting into a P5 conference if we can’t even get a seat at the table to play them in blackjack. Then what’ll we have? The AAC championship? More possibilities of getting screwed out of NY6 games? lol I thought only horns were this entitled. Sheesh.

Wut.

1 Like

I’m thinking you missed my point by a mile

1 Like

My response was to you suggesting no to a G5 playoff, after you said there would be no expansion. I suggested that since there will be no expansion we should entertain the G5 playoff. Or we could just stay in the AAC and wallow in our misery while other G5 schools are having fun. I’m not a fan of either decision honestly. I’d like to be in a P5 conference, but sometimes compromise has to be met. YOU are opposing that comprise due to feeling entitled to a P5 spot in the playoffs, and/or conference. I didn’t miss your point. You missed mine.

I never suggested or said we were entitled to anything, number 1. If the system was set up for a G5 playoff separate from a P5 playoff, what I am saying is that we and every other G5 school, for that matter, would be locked out of any expansion opportunity because of the way the P5 league would have to be constructed. There would be no compromise, there would be a primary and secondary league.

I actually suggested a compromise based on MERIT not ENTITLEMENT by setting up a relegation system so that those teams deserving could move up and compete for what would be considered the true national champion in the P5 league.

Your responses have been riddled with it. So no? We aren’t too good for G5 playoff?

It’s quite possible that the Coogs with multiple championships in the G5 playoff series , could be called up to the self-proclaimed P5 league. We would be very valuable.

All in all, I don’t think WE (Coogs), specifically, are being targeted and being held out of the P5(maybe the big12). I think it’s the G5 as a whole, but we just so happen to be in the mix of it all at the moment due to our ranking and record. We didn’t have this conversation last year for a reason. There may be a couple of corrupt individuals pulling strings but I don’t think there’s this giant conspiracy to keep the University of Houston out of the P5. When conference realignment happens, what’s more appealing? A couple of AAC championships, or a couple of G5 playoff championships?

Wow, this has turned into a deposition.

No, I never said we were entitled but I do believe that UH could be very competitive at the P5 level with P5 money and I would not want us to be restricted in any way. It is not entitled to believe that of my school and I am sure there are plenty of alum at UCF, Memphis, Cinci etc who feel the same way about their respective schools.

I do not want the P5/G5 split to develop into a situation where we wouldn’t have the opportunity to move up. This is why I am strongly against a G5 playoff system. It is not to think that we are too good to stoop to a G5 playoff, I do not want to be locked in with no vertical movement and be the best of a secondary league. I am guessing most competitive G5 teams feel that way.

Right now, we have the minimally slight opportunity to make the playoffs. One can argue if it will happen, but since you don’t believe in conspiracies, you certainly don’t believe that there’s a conspiracy to keep the G5 out of the playoffs, correct? At the minimum, an AAC championship usually means an NY6 bowl, which is money and national exposure.

All that goes away with a G5 playoff. Sounds like you’d be happy with being a G5 champion. I wouldn’t, not because I feel entitled but because I believe in open competition.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to be locked in either. But what makes you sure we’d be stuck? Also, aren’t we locked in a secondary league now? I think the G5 playoff would add value to that.

We have zero shot. lol Haven’t we seen UCF? I do believe in conspiracies, but I don’t believe that it’s a UH thing. I’m one of those that’s not going overestimate how much UH matters. No one is out to get us, specifically(maybe the bevo12, that’s it). I’m also one that believes it’s not a conspiracy, they just WILL keep G5 teams out, because they can. Not really much of a conspiracy. There may be a couple of bad apples that don’t like UH but everyone else in our conference would get the same treatment if they were in our shoes.

This is infact playing in that league your opposed to. A G5 team playing in a G5 leauge; the best G5 conference champion plays in a NY6 bowl. If that isn’t a secondary league I don’t know what is… A G5 playoff adds value to that.

I would be happy with anything that improves our stock in the meantime. We’d have access to the same conference championship and the same NY6 bowl, and a playoff system that expands our brand.

Hey, they said 2016 UH would have made the playoff had we won out, just sayin’

I’ve never said this is a UH specific conspiracy…never. I have given my opinion as a UH alum with my school’s interest.

If there were a G5 playoff, there will be no NY6 bowl. While I agree that we are in a de-facto secondary league, nothing is official and no one has officially locked the G5 out of the CFP. I do not want this formalized.

No NY6, no CFP (formally), no P5 games, no more expansion opportunities, a secondary league. NO NO and NO

Not exactly true…they said that we would have been considered strongly for the playoff in 2016 if we had gone undefeated. With the way things turned out that year, with Ohio State jumping Washington in the last rankings, I doubt we would have made it and probably would have been no higher than #5.

3 Likes

let me jump in here: what on earth would make you feel like these guys are in our corner. They don’t want to share money with us, so all of the sudden they are going to give us money to play a G5 playoff??? Think about it, man…why the separation??? Why do this??? Why not just open the main pot up and let teams prove themselves. Is it real fear that the P5 are really not as powerful as they boast??? Do Houston and UCF slay too many giants that we are scared to open it up to all??? They are hogging all the money already…Why not make the competition fair for a 16 team playoff??? No to a G5 playoff…they have ulterior motives man…beware!

2 Likes

I know, that was tongue-in-cheek

3 Likes

Wonder how much of relegating G5 to second tier is about ESPN being financially crippled – in addition to current P5 university presidents not wanting to share their lucrative pie?! They just don’t have $$$$'s. Just read “Republicans Buy Sneakers Too” by Clay Travis (forget politics for a moment) and Travis goes into quite a bit of detail about ESPN: finances, program content, and political leanings. Even if Disney is filthy rich, they have never been about losing money. ESPN has to be about consolidating P5 into 4 super conferences and owning broadcast rights. That’s my story.

By the way, the book is good read.