How to kill UH football

I sit in 308 and I can clearly see downtown.

Just a difference of opinion.

I can see downtown, but who the bloody H cares? Can I see the action on the field? Yes? All’s right with the world.

3 Likes

So put it somewhere else. Problem solved.

It was also a cost issue, if they would have put it on the other side of the stadium it would have cost millions more

Why?

where elae would they have put it? the master plan didn’t include the IPF? it is better for student parking to have it whwre it is.

“Walking four blocks to get to the stadium will not kill a program”.

-The Big Boys

2 Likes

I think the only way to kill a football program anywhere is to play bad football year on year until those who remember the winning teams are too old to go to games.

3 Likes

On the other side of the stadium or where the current practice fields are.

Imo, the administration showing 0 intent to improve a bad program is enough to do it. Rice won C-USA in 2013, and their board is already having legit “should we shut football down?” talks

Agree, but Rice isn’t a typical program, imho. There student body rarely cares about sports of any sort.

The electrical grid is there, to move it to the other side of the parking lot would have cost millions more. Plus I think they wanted it closer to the practice fields

Seems strange getting electricity to something next door to a stadium and dorms would cost millions. Being closer to the practice fields is nice but it wouldn’t have been that much closer.

As this thread proves, there are a group of fans who won’t hold the program accountable for anything. Any complaint is seen as whining. Even though there are people in the administration who share the same concerns, if a fan expresses it, “Oh you guys are whining!!!”. Without people making a fuss, nothing moves ahead, nothing changes. I had a talk with a fan at the game yesterday and they said they were fine with winning 6-7 games a year and going to a bowl in Ft Worth every season. They just didn’t want a losing season.

It’s a difference of opinion. Some feel as though it is blasphemous to utter a single complaint, regardless of the validity of the complaint. I don’t get that at all. The RV parking, the GA seats, Family pack, the lack of amenities upstairs are all small things, but they add up especially when the team isn’t great. Everyone here supports the program, but there is some frustration building within the fanbase that is much more than just “whining”. Hopefully the administration isn’t brushing it off as whining. From some of the emails I have gotten asking for opinions, and multiple follow-ups asking about specific points, they are alot more concerned than some people here.

4 Likes

I think it is less of that, than differing opinions of what is important other than wins and losses.

https://twitter.com/BurrellLeroy/status/934606408774909952

4 Likes

Leroy is spot on. The league should ban these games in the South as dangerous for the players and not good for the fans either.

5 Likes

Okay, lets get the obvious out of the way. The program is no where near being killed off. If Helton and Dimel didn’t do the trick, with the lack of facilities that were prevalent at the time, then it ain’t dying now. So, enough of that drama.

Now, back to the core of the complaints. They all have one thing in common: customer service. It’s a character trait of our school that has been lacking for a long time. It’s not new now, and it won’t be new tomorrow. Frankly, given Fertita’s experience in the hospitality industry, I would have expected customer service to be high on his list of priorities for the school. A superior game-day atmosphere is huge plus as far as marketing the school is concerned. Marketing doesn’t stop with improved facilities. That was the beginning. The next step is making the game day atmosphere a huge plus for your customers.

Where to begin? You always start with your solid core of funding. Fact facts folks - money drives the bus. You make the money folks happy first, then trickle down to the next level. The most glaring issue to address for the money folks is restoring the RV village to a happy place once again. Moving the RV village was a unmitigated disaster. Unhappy campers equals loss of funding. Just a basic fact that will have to be fixed.

Next issue is game day parking. It needs to be more centralized. At present, it’s too spread out, which means too many patrons having tailgates in too many enclaves. That decentralized approach greatly lessens the game day atmosphere. When you combine tailgates to a general area, you improve the atmosphere for everyone. Once again, happy customers make for loud fans, which makes the Cage a place to be at on game day.

Number next. Customer service through the AD’s office and ticketing must be improved. That requires a salesman for the next AD.

Look folks, the last 3 ADs did their jobs. It’s time for the next one. Uncle Dave’s job was to save the program. Simple, but necessary. He did was he was hired to do. As for Mack, whether you liked his attitude or not, and I certainly didn’t, he too did his job by opening up people’s wallets and minds to the idea of giving to UH Athletics. That was a huge barrier to jump, which led to the facilities you see today. To say Mack didn’t have a hand in that is irresponsible. He clearly did. As for Hunter, he’s a bean-counter. His job was to monitor construction, and to assist UH in getting the most bang out of each buck. I believe he’s done that. Remember, Hofheinz was not slated for reconstruction this early; nor was the baseball facility. Their timetables were moved up because access to increased funding occurred. Regardless of the source of those funds, the simple fact remains more money became available. It was Hunter’s job to oversee he construction. He has done that job.

The next AD must be a customer-centric type of AD. He must schmooze, understand that customers are always right, and serve the game day needs of UH fans. That could be Pez, it might be someone else. All I know is the next AD must be a people-person AD, who understands that the game day atmosphere is paramount at this juncture.

7 Likes

They got a taste of what it could be the past 2 years under CTH.

Pretty embarrassing when fans are trying to buy sodas on the upper level and can’t, because they run out of CO2
 before halftime

2 Likes