How UH's plan to upgrade non-conference schedule is taking shape

Need to add it to a coaches contract that if they leave for “greener grass”, they must schedule a home and home with UH from the new school. Think that would at least cover Baylor, UT and A&M for adding some OOC games.

1 Like

Thanks for the list…this helps with next year’s plans for sure. My wife and I joined other UH buds at BYU the last series…so we may have to go up to WSU.
I hope Pez continues to schedule universities out west, especially Pac12 and select MWs…

1 Like

Good to see we have Boise on the schedule. They should be a regular opponent. For you younger guys who can travel that should be a great trip.

1 Like

So, you are proposing that all of our OOC games be on the road ?

Funny.

Would be nice, except the coaches don’t do the scheduling - the school does. Not sure how you could enforce such a clause on a third party.

Saban on his press conference said they are having trouble scheduling good opponents, he said he would play anyone anytime, Pez needs to call them and tell them we are ready!

2 Likes

What he left out…they will play them on Alabama’s home field !!

They have played UH exactly 1 time in Houston and that was in the '60’s.

FWIW, a home and home with our game in NRG would be OK for Alabama, but no one else !!

2 Likes

Yes we would take that in a heartbeat, 1 for 1 with one at NRG, let’s get Pezman on it lol

2 Likes

Actually, Alabama played UH in the Astrodome 10/27/70. UH lost 30-21. Robert Newhouse out-gained Alabama’s Heisman nominated running back Johnny Musso but quite a few yards in that one as I recall.
Nevertheless the Coogs came up short on the scoreboard 30-21. UH traveled to play them the next year and came up empty again 34-20. Alabama went 11-1 that year. Their only loss was to 13-0 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl 38-6.

4 Likes

Lots of schools are already filling out their schedules for the early and mid 30s. Bama and Oklahoma just scheduled a home and home in 2034-2035. The kids that will play in those games aren’t even born yet. Is there even going to be football at that point?

5 Likes

I’ll be 70.

1 Like

There is a G6??

My 1 year old daughter will be 18 in 2036… They are here.

In here: announcement on another NRG game could come in 3-4 months.

4 Likes

Holgorsen repeats what he has said since taking the job: stability has been the major factor holding back the UH football program. To that, Holgorsen says: “I plan being at UH for 20 years.”

From his mouth to God’s ears

5 Likes

Not positive, but I think Coach meant next season and beyond games being moved to NRG being announced in the next few weeks.
Personally I’m not thrilled about moving away from the Cage. I like our home field advantage and growing traditions there, but I guess any extra income playing there and possible recruits might like the idea of playing a game or three in an NFL stadium during their college careers might be appealing.
#GoCoogs!

4 Likes

Once the Coogs get into a P5 we will have the resources to expand TDECU and not have to schedule games at NRG anymore. Big name opponents like Bama, LSU, and such will not want to play us at a 40,000 seat stadium but it is what it is. For now games like that would provide more ticket revenue for UH if moved to NRG that would allow for a larger compasity based on demand.

Don’t like playing games at reliant. Never have. Screw that noise. Lose home field advantage and takes away from the college experience.

1 Like

beating the dead horse…still amazes me that UH and Rice do not make keeping the bucket game yearly; it’s beneficial to both and before anyone starts; if UH cannot beat Rice yearly; that’s UH’s problem; might as well just pack up any P5 dreams if that’s an issue.