How will Pandemic Effect Conference Expansion/Contraction?

OK? Who has any of those?

2 Likes

I have been very blessed with good health, so thankful for that. I will defer to what the medical professionals say as I am no doctor. I do know many folks are going to lose their jobs and plenty of companies will go under. I pray we all get through this together and that those affected fully heal and recover.

2 Likes

It is dangerous to people over 70. Quarantine them. Now millions of hourly employees (mostly young people) who were living paycheck to paycheck are unemployed. What are they going to do?

Can you imagine what this is going to do to the crime rate. Millions of desperate young people out of work.

All of this to save a verysmall percentage of people who have high mortality rates to begin with.

More people die from car crashes A DAY than will die from this.

1 Like

Girl filmed herself licking toilet seat as part of #Coronavirus challenge

India Newzstreet Media

17 March 2020, 4:09 am

The latest TikTok challenge, the Coronavirus Challenge, made by TikTok content creator Ava Louise, is perhaps hands-down the most disgusting challenge we have seen so far, and also the stupidest given the current pandemic that’s sweeping the world.

Quarantine people like this girl on yahoo yesterday…

Bill Burr does a bit about letting Mother Nature do her thing and weed out the dead wood…may I present exhibit #1

2 Likes

I just read an article about hospital beds worldwide. Italy is about the same as The USA and in terms of ICU beds our per capita rate is 2.5 the rate of Italy.

There is not a problem here

Hey now…this chick could be this year’s Darwin Award Winner !!!

4 Likes

Back to the topic. The Pac12 teams will have much less income coming in after the termination of all games in person and on tv. That’s a lot of lost revenue in a conference restricted to the west coast and less eye balls. Adding Midwest (UH) and possible eastern teams (whoever) would vastly increase eyeballs, interest & money to that conference (expecting life more as usual in the fall semesters) if they expand.

And polio and smallpox were pretty bad before we had vaccines for them?

2 Likes

Also, not sure how familiar some of you guys are with business, but generally massive and risky expansions don’t happen during severe down times.

1 Like

I understand the argument around people being out of work for the short term but if we don’t get a grip on the spread then a lot of people will be too sick to run the businesses to begin with. And the data people are using to compare with other viruses is incomplete. At this point we don’t know how many people will be affected or die. There is no vaccine so the virus could keep circulating for a long time. Oh, and if it hurts elderly people the most, the business that stands to take the hardest hit is Walmart :slight_smile:

Buy stock in Trojan. With so many people “working from home” there will be a run on contraceptives, especially the rubbers. If stores run out of THOSE, there will be a huge baby boom in one to two years! Either way, you’ll be rich!

I’m thinking this will occur after the outbreak is contained in a year or so (hoping it is). Pac12 is apparently not happy with their commish and the lack of revenue expansion he’s trying to acquire without expansion. The GOR should be in preliminary renegotiating behind the scenes. Seems like a perfect storm coming together.

Dude, you seriously think Houston is in the Midwest?

No one can predict how long the shutdown will last.
No one can predict how many companies will be destroyed.

It’s a perfect storm with Russia and Saudi Arabia destroying out fracking companies.

Many U.S. companies will not survive.

1 Like

6000 people die from lightning strikes each year in the US…

1 Like

What is your point?

Well, bully for them.
SMH

1 Like

We should not have shut down a world economy when under the worst estimates the number of deaths are far less than the number of people who die of malaria each year. They should have quarantined the high risk people.

By blowing up the economy we have made the world a very dangerous place. Economies failing could set into place mass civil unrest and ultimately countries going to war. We still live in a world with a nuclear threat. Does anyone think a russian v saudi oil war couldn’t escalate into a hot war? This is very guns of august ish.

By trying to save a number of people we have put the whole world at risk.

1 Like

I’m not sure what models you’re looking at but the most optimistic numbers based on current measures for the US alone puts number of deaths above malaria to around half a million at least. So shutting down the world economy is indicative that the worst estimates are more bleak than you think they are.

2 Likes