How Would You Change CFP?

Won’t happen. CFB is run to benefit the “elite” P5’s who in turn are the power brokers in the NCAA.

1 Like

You’ll never get them to take ALL conference champions. What would be the point of being in the Big 10 or SEC if you can have an easier path to the playoffs in the Sunbelt?

Hmm… they’d be leaving a lot of money on the table to leave those leagues. But they did it to themselves (in choosing to join). So I guess how much is a national championship worth to Texas S&M or Arkansas or Maryland and Rutgers?

1 Like

TAMU thinks that $10M will buy them one…

1 Like

The NCAA created the a legislative autonomy bloc for the Power Five conferences and inherently defined the current system that locks out G5 schools from national championship in football. G5 schools agreed to the said legislation and voted for it.
Not once did I hear UH Administration including RK and TF object to it.
This American P6 campaign is utter nonsense. You have to change NCAA legislation to eat at the grown-ups table and good luck getting 65 P5 schools to agree to that.
Perharps a UCF student athlete can sue for unfair CFP representation in a district court, by directly tying the NCAA autonomy legislation to the current model which kept him out of the NC.

Well you have hit the nail on the head. I guess we will find out how powerful our alumni are. Nothing is clear in the world of law but it seems a clever attorney could argue that the NCAA is in violation of the Fairness part of their mission.

Tom, you are right on most points except that Mrs. Khator and Mr. Fertitta never agreed to this and they did complain. Aresco did. The biggest question regarding the G5 is what is he going to do tomorrow? This will define his presidency. He has an opportunity to take this to the next level.

“It wasn’t right,” said Frost, who is leaving UCF to be the coach at Nebraska, his alma mater. "I was watching [the selection show] every week, the committee sitting in a room and deciding that this two-loss team must be better than UCF because UCF is in the American, or this three-loss team must be better than UCF.

“It looked like a conscious effort to me to make sure that they didn’t have a problem if they put us too high and a couple teams ahead of us lost. And oh, no, now we have to put them in a playoff? But we just beat [Auburn] that beat two playoff teams and lost to another one by six points, and we beat them by seven.”

3 Likes

Spot on. I hope he rants when it happens to him at Nebraska.

The only P5 coach I ever hear really telling it lime it is is Mike Leach.

4 Likes

You are both spot on. For the first time a new P5 Coach has had the guts to express what this scam is all about. judas did not or not even close to what Frost said.
I will pull for Nebraska this upcoming season.

16 teams.
10 conference champs
6 at large

Most if not all of the at large teams will be P5 so they still have the advantage.
Instead of debating the value of the 5th ranked team they are debating the 10th or 11th best team.
Everyone likes to see the David vs Goliath games.

Could be a badly needed boost to the overall health of the sport.

If Aresco is ever going to make a move, this is the year to do it.

UH dropped the ball a few years ago when the Coogs failed to go undefeated in 2015 and again in 2016 with a hype of being the best G5, so Aresco couldn’t make a fight of it; however, with UCF going undefeated and beating Auburn in a NY6 bowl game the time is now for Mike to make a push to prove the AAC is better than the other G5 conferences.

Unfortunately for some, Mike probably won’t be able to look out for the entire G5 so he should only focus on inclusion of the American in the CFP and talk to some lawyers about it. If he doesn’t, then it’s time to find a new, less expensive commissioner if the conference is just willing to settle for strongly worded news conferences and P6 marketing efforts.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. That still plays into money program bias. It should be NCAA sanctioned, eight team playoff. They need to combine all teams into eight conferences and the conference champs all make the playoffs. They get seeded by computer rankings.
Eight, 16 team conferences makes for 128 teams in FBS. It is absolutely perfect and fair. So it will never happen.

16 teams in a conference is to many. imo

11 Conference Champs, 5 at large (highest ranked non champions

16 teams

Round one:

#1 vs #16
#2 vs #15
#3 vs #14
#4 vs #13
#5 vs #12
#6 vs #11
#7 vs #10
#8 vs #9

8 teams left

Round 2

Same format based on who won, where they were ranked

Four teams left

Round three

Same format

Championship

Threee more total games. A Sun Belt team against Alabama, why not?
A MAC team against Clemson? Why not?

4 Conferences with 20 teams each divided into 4 pods of 5 teams. Rotate the pods every year so that each conference has 2 divisions of 10 teams. Each team plays every team in its own division. The division winners play for a conference championship. The 4 conference champions go to the playoffs.

What if conference 1 runner up is a better team than conference 2 champ?

Wouldn’t know since that is all bias. If you aren’t the best in your conference, then you aren’t the best in the nation. Champs play champs to determine the National Champion.

2 Likes

10 teams…no wild cards. You win it was n the field. And you don’t GE the benefit of some person ranking you.

You are seeded in according to the strength of your OOC performance (so no more Furmans or Citadels to get the easy win).

Because there will be 5 G5 teams and 5 P5 teams there is a good shot that in A decade the G5 teams start taking home the hardware.

And even chance in today’s environment will lead to much better recruiting for the G5 teams. That is the NUMBER 1 deterrent the P5 coaches state when they are competing against G5 teams: Well, you could sigh at UH, but you will never get to play for a National Championship.

1 Like

Got to win your conference to be in it. That is all, just win.

2 Likes

Explain this… top 6 get byes? Top 2 gets byes into 3rd round?