Hunter to Arkansas-hires (Georgia OL coach) Pittman as next FB HC

What about the Rice athletic director? He seems to have made some decent hires for them but also seems like he might want a higher profile position?

You realize that Cal:

1. sits in the most expensive real estate area in the country. Home rentals of $5000/mo or lower are rare
  2. Cal Berkeley is the home of Antifa. White hetero males are persona non grata out there
  3. He’s a Coog through and through
1 Like

1 and 3 I think are legit selling points. Same with step up in title and no state tax. Number 2 I don’t know, unless he’s been directly affected then I’m with you. But if not I can’t see that having a huge bearing on the decision.

If I were on the hiring committee, the short list would look like this:

Chris Pezman, Senior Associate AD & COO, Cal-Berkeley. Former Assistant AD for Football Ops at UH, Houston native and a Cougar alum

Justin Moore, Senior Associate AD at Texas A&M. Former Assistant AD for Football Ops at UH. Katy native and Texas A&M alum

Wren Baker, North Texas AD. Native of Oklahoma, deputy AD experience at Memphis and Missouri

Jeff Long, former Arkansas AD. First chairman of the CFP, was AD at Pitt and Arkansas. Spent time in Houston as assistant AD at Rice in the late 80s. About as connected as you can get in the NCAA.

3 Likes

I sent Pezman an e-mail (got it from his Cal site) notifying him of HY’s departure and hinted that he might consider applying. He replied promptly and thanked me for “reaching out”, said he has a great position at Cal, BUT Houston is and will always be their home. Go for it RK and TF.

10 Likes

Agree with Hunter
 coaches seem to have zero downside risk if fully compensated if fired and ability to walk for better deal. NBA players don’t even have that deal.

1 Like

I’m not sure why he pointed the finger at A&M. The last coach at Hogville had the same contract.

1 Like

He did it because he’s signaling to fans and donors that next coach won’t have so much guaranteed money. He said losing games is just cause for a firing.

Why would you want an atm grad as our A.D.? He represents the ENEMY. It was a major mistake to have him. Enough with uta and atm grad. We despise what they represent. This is nothing again him but what his diploma stands for.

1 Like

Pretty Serious.

1 Like

because people go to their games regardless if theyre losing and they have a good fan experience? wouldnt you want someone to teach you to make a million dollars if they knew how?

tccoog10, indeed. History has consequences and we have been paying it since 1996.I invite you to review our history. I can’t think of anybody besides Chris Pezman.

1 Like

I mean, I listed Chris Pezman as the top candidate. But if we limit ourselves to only Coogs to lead the athletic department, we will be Rice/Texas State level in a decade. I don’t care if they went to the University of North Korea, if they’re the best person to take this athletic department to the next level, I want them here.

Bill Yeoman started his education at Texas A&M. Jack Pardee is an A&M grad. Dave Maggard was a Cal guy. I don’t care about any perceived slights from 20 years ago. Give me the best and the brightest, regardless of where they went to school. The idea that a UT or A&M grad would sabotage their own professional career to do harm to the University of Houston is comical paranoia.

10 Likes

If at any point you can point to an individual who chose to commit career suicide to damage another program. Any real evidence at all would be acceptable.

But we should strive for nothing but the best possible candidate. Right now Pezman seems like the best choice but I want to give the most qualified candidates regardless of where they get their degree.

1 Like

Did you see? The numbers on the new Arkansas coach were just released and there is a $14.7 million buyout on him that goes down a couple mil each year. Basically, the same thing as other coaching contracts. If he is still losing after two years and they want to fire him, it’s $11 something mil. I guess Hunter meant after they hire THIS coach.

3 Likes

For all the talk about getting contacts under control, the fact is coaches still have all the leverage. It’s will take all AD’s getting on the same page to wrest the leverage away from the coaches.

I don’t know where that ranks on the illegal collision scale but it needs to happen.

1 Like

Hunter believes that coaches losing games is cause. That means he feels he can fire a coach that has a losing record without having to pay the buy out. I tend to agree with him.

1 Like

That argument is not going to fly. The contracts are for terms. Unless winning is expressly stated, losing is not cause. I don’t argue that perhaps it should be though!!

1 Like