I hate to bring up the past, but

Major Applewhite really wasted two great years we could have had with Ed Oliver.

Ed Oliver is a once in a generation player. Projected top 10 draft pick, great football IQ, quick, aggressive and an overall great personality.

It will be a very long time until we can land another player of that caliber.

i’m super happy and excited for Ed’s NFL career. His draft stock is really high right now. Just sucks knowing he didnt even get a chance to win a conference championship.

4 Likes

There wasn’t a great clear cut HC candidate when Judas left, tbh.

1 Like

I know I know… but still. CMA had too much talent to leave with results he had

We didn’t have deep talent and that was our downfall.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that more 5 star athletes don’t sign with UH.

Look at the publicity EO had here. Look at the post season honors. Look at his NFL draft status.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

They want a shot at that National title that we cant compete for, lol

When the Lying Coach left, he left the cupboard bare. That said, it is a shame that Ed was misused and we weren’t even close to winning a championship, let alone a bowl game.

I don’t agree that the '17 team had a lot of talent. I think they were pretty much the 7-5 team they ended up. QB play was marginal, the OL was below average, and there was no speed at receiver. The defense wasn’t bad and probably should have been a little better, but statistically they were okay. The ‘18 team did have more talent, and we did get to #17. Injuries, Oliver’s reluctance to play, and the Briles’ fiasco were too much to overcome. We DEFINITELY should have fired him and hired Holgorsen, but I think he would have developed into a solid head coach in time. Unfortunately for him time isn’t something we have in unlimited supply.

3 Likes

Ahh the four team playoff to see which SEC wins the title. Go to Alabama or the chances are pretty unrealistic though slightly better than UH.

1 Like

Major has been in football for while, I just don’t see anywhere other than under Herman where he has excelled. His results have been average at best.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that the cupboard was that bare when Hermits Herman left. Had the defense not been decimated by injuries, and the fact that the defense had numerous starters for the first time, the results would have been much better. Losing Big Ed was a huge blow for this team…both offense and defense.

He excelled at Rice and under Herman. He did “okay” at Texas, but that was the twilight of Mack III’s tenure, and they didn’t have the horses like they’d had before. I’ll never forget BYU just gashing them one year when he was an assistant; I think they had like 600 yards rushing. I doubt he would have ever been Nick Saban, but I think he was on track to be a solid head coach. Who knows?

1 Like

There is something to be said for being the BIG fish in a small pond. Who else got any publicity when Ed was here? GW got some love early in 2016 until we started losing. Last year D’Eriq, on Ed’s suggestion, got some early Heisman love before the injury and loss to SMU. On defense, it was all Ed, even after he got hurt.

Just like last year. Oh, wait…

He should have started at UNT/TxSt instead of just like Tony, having to follow a highly successful HC. watched the mock draft that had Big Ed going at #7 to Giants iirc. JacketGate was mentioned and quickly dismissed on the staff.

1 Like

Sam, what you’re referring to is Major’s time as an assistant. Yes, he had some decent years as an OC but he’s never shown the ability to be a head coach. His hiring of assistants was a little concerning in year one and he lost all credibility as someone that can surround himself with the right assistants when he hired D’Onofrio. Yes, he hired Briles as a one hit wonder, but his other assistants were less than stellar. In many ways he reminds me of Levine. He could recruit and the players liked him, but he could never put it all together. There was always something missing.

2 Likes

Well he had never been a head coach, so of course he was going to have to grow into the job. His assistants weren’t impressive, but he had about half the money Holgorsen has to hire a staff. Again, I don’t really know what will happen with him or how he’ll turn out, but I do think he got a pretty raw deal last season. We were playing 230-pound true freshmen on the defensive line in the conference championship game. The injuries almost reduced us to an FCS team, and the Oliver and Briles situations only made things much worse. Having said that, I reached the conclusion that we should fire him, and I’m VERY GLAD Dana Holgerson is our head coach.

6 Likes

He had half the money Holgo has, but more than Levine had. And Briles? Really, had two months to prepare for Army and we scored 14 points.

1 Like

Injuries were no doubt a factor with the game outcome. With that said, Major sealed his own fate by hiring D’Onofrio. That was his decision, and it cost him a job. Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Opie is not HC material, as of now. This means he should not have been hired as our HC at the time. I’m glad we got rid of him this past season.

1 Like