I hope Holgorsen understands the opportunity he has

With the CFB Playoff format changing in the future, the head coaching jobs of the top non-p5 schools will become some of the MOST DESIRABLE jobs in the nation!

Listen at the 49 minute mark here where the AAC and Houston is discussed specifically:

Andy Staples Show - Potential Power Shift Coming?

If Holgorsen doesn’t get it done here soon, there will be good coaches lining up! I hope Dana understands the opportunity he has here!

THIS THREAD IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DANA. PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PODCAST CLIP (ABOUT 5 MINS) AND DISCUSS THE OPPORTUNITY THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM HAS - CONSIDERING THE PROPOSED PLAYOFF CHANGE.

5 Likes

Tilman airlifted him out of Morgantown (where it was obvious he didn’t want to be) and brought him back home to a city he loves and where he has plenty of longtime friends. Of course he understands the opportunity he was presented. He also knew from the get go what the objectives was to elevate the program back to 2015/2016 levels to help propel the AD into a P5 opportunity.

The only areas of frustration it appears to have surfaced is that he didn’t understand how far in the ditch the program was when he took the program over and how far he would have to go to dig it out of the ditch our non-stop coaching turnover every couple of years took on the program.

13 Likes

Not sure if he has corrected the ship yet. Still don’t think our talent level is back to “normal.”

2 Likes

The 2015 talent level was above “normal” for the Coogs. In only a relatively few years of our sports history did we have that level of talent.

2 Likes

Kind of hate to be a reality check here, but UH hasn’t &/or doesn’t “normally” dominate our conference competition, but rather we have historically won our conference about once every 8-10 years.

So currently our talent level seems to be just about “normal”…ie; a little above average for our level of conference competition…and so what it IS NOT is “WELL ABOVE NORMAL” (or maybe exceptional) like we all hope to be able to see us accomplish once again in the future.

But truthfully we have only rarely - from time to time - been able to attract, develop and retain Top 20 type of FB talent at UH. Let’s just hope that CDH has an ace up his sleeve and/or can pull a rabbit out of his hat. If he does, he will certainly have earned his pay.

3 Likes

I don’t think Dana Is as bad as people make him out to be. I think he was delt a bad hand. His QB left him, the roster wasn’t good at all outside of King and Stevenson. His team was very young, last year we won all the games we were “supposed too” but didn’t do anything special. We were a lot better before Covid. Now Dana been coaching a lot of these guys for 2 years, they are a lot older, team chemistry is as high as it’s been since 2015 really. If Tune can continue to grow, if he can get him to slow down the turnovers, and as a team be more discipline. I think we are ready for a 8+ win season.

4 Likes

I think everyone agrees we should see improvement this year. The question is how much should we expect and how much will we actually see? Methinks QB1’s play will control whether we struggle to 6-7 wins or knock on the door of 10 wins if he takes a big step forward. Most of the experts see us at 8 wins plus or minus 1. 7 is the bare minimum to consider reasonable progress IMO.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ONLY ABOUT DANA. PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PODCAST CLIP (ABOUT 5 MINS) AND DISCUSS THE OPPORTUNITY THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM HAS - CONSIDERING THE PROPOSED PLAYOFF CHANGE.

1 Like

I don’t believe 7-8 wins this year with this schedule is “progress”. For me that would be a 9+ win season. Anything less than 8 wins is a failure of this staff to attract or develop talent.

Holgorsen was NOT dealt a bad hand. The cupboard was not bare, and he was as much a part of King’s decision to leave as King was. We had the same level of talent that we historically have had on our roster when Holgorsen got here. Maybe he underestimated the competition in the AAC, but he has the facilities, the money for a staff, and the support of the administration. He decided to go heavy on the JUCO/transfer build, he has switched out coordinators at defense and offense in the two years he has been here, he decided to punt on season 1 with the redshirt fiasco for roster depth… it is time for him to pay the piper.

Produce this year, or get the hell out.

In regards to the audio clip, until the CFP announces a 12-team playoff, I don’t care.

10 Likes

What a crock of … (best left unsaid)…

1 Like

It is time to win.

The commitment to facilities, the commitment to coaches salaries. The natural recruiting base and the quality of the conference is there.

Enough of the “once we overcome (fill in the blank), we will be good”, line of thinking. There is nothing to overcome, we have everything.

Win, just win. I am as patient of a Coog fan as there is. I love me some Coogs, but my patience is nearing an end. My loyalty isn’t nearing an end but my patience is.

Win, just win. No more excuses.

7 Likes

Amen.

We fire coaches at 8-4, as Renu said.

9+ wins or bust!!!

9 Likes

What power shift? The AAC can be marginally better than the PAC 12 in football right up until USC, Oregon, and Washington get their respective swaggers back. AAC teams are at least $30M per year behind PAC 12 teams. In the long term it makes most of the difference. Until we close the money gap, success against the P5 will be infrequent.

3 Likes

10 wins is the absolute floor. This schedule is a stroll through the park. Anything less, and we unleash the Renu.

1 Like

Uncle Dave told me to expect more. I am there.

This post is not only about Dana but then you post again “this thread is not only about Dana”

What is it with some of you? Do you have to open five gazilions anti CDH thread a day?
Are you guys obsessed or what? I understand you do not like him. That is fine but why do you have to open ANOTHER thread. Do you feel better after your expressed your individual hatred against the guy multiple times?

You are frustrated with Dana?
Go do some push ups, walk around the block, get yourself a stress ball, go see a stand up comic, dive into your pool (make sure there is water in it) clean up your closet, start laughing for no reasons and make it last five minutes…

5 Likes

I don’t think the cupboard was bare. But I do think it was stocked with off-brand canned goods and Nighthawk dinners.

4 Likes

I think that Art Briles inherited better talent when he was hired as the head coach at UH than did CDH.

A look back at the last 5 years ('17-'21) average recruiting ranking on 247 sports reveals the following:

#10 - Texas A&M
#11 - UT-Austin

#52 - Cincinnati
#61 - UCF
#63 - Memphis

#71 - SMU
#74 - Houston
#85 - UT-San Antonio
#88 - North Texas

Seems to me that we’re competing at the same level as our recruited talent. So, CDH absolutely HAS to upgrade our talent thru the use of (i) the transfer portal, (ii) greater player development, and (iii) superior coaching in order for us to be able to compete at a higher level than the mid level AAC team that we now are, and have been for the past 5 years.

[HARSH REALITY CHECK - our current recruited talent (based on ratings) is more closely aligned with UT-San Antonio & North Texas than it is with Cincinnati & UCF.]

3 Likes

100000% disagree… our program was not in the a ditch when he took over by ANY definition…
his tenure will have the most draft picks while having the least amount of success and that doesnt even include the players he couldt keep and transferred out (to be drafted else where)

all our struggles can be tied directly to him… he tanked year 1 (his choice), and his his school recruiting has been poor (even for our standards)…our offense has been predictable …for 2 years now he CHOSE not to bring in a qb to compete with tune. he hasnt targetted 1 qb that anyone legtiimately thinks can contend with tune despite qb play playing a part in our losses

the biggest counter to your statement is this: we were the #1 offense in the nation in 2018…in 2019 (dana year 1) he had that exact same offensive personal and struggled on offense… in 2020 HE chose tune (crowned him before a single rep was taken), beside qb (which he chose) it was the exact same personal on offense as the 2018 offense that was #1 in the nation (wr, rb, oline)

6 Likes

you statement in itself doesnt make sense to me you are saying dana didnt inheret talent, but used his recruiting classes in the average… dana is not a good high school recruiter, his own poor recruiting is adding to the issue…its not an inherit issue… wouldnt a 2014- 2018 average be the quantifier for what he inherited

also from 247, they do this this thing called “team talent ranking” it ranks the talent of every FBS team based on their active roster and what they were original rated in HS (note that this includes transfers - you get credited for a 4str even if they went to another school first)

Houston has been the #1 in the g5 on that list i belive for the last 3 years … when the list came out last year (havent released a 2021 list yet) on reddit people were making jokes that we were the texas of th g5…

talent has not been the issue here (overall)

5 Likes