I love these transfers

Levine, while he is a nice and personal guy, I believe that he was not ready to be a head coach and did not have many contacts in the coaching community to be able to put together a competent staff.

Let’s not forget that he was hired/promoted by the same AD who hired Dickey. IMHO, Mack Rhodes may have been good at accounting and seeing that a new stadium got built…but his coach hiring abilty was, at the very least, suspect !!

2 Likes

Levine was a good recruiter. I don’t really understand people disputing that. To the best of my recollection, he signed about eight recruits who went on to be drafted, and only one, Demarcus Ayers, was considered an impressive recruit. IIRC, many of the others were marginal recruits, quite a few two-star prospects. Levine clearly had an eye for talent plus a couple of his classes were among the most highly rated we have had in the last 20 years or so.

1 Like

I understand how much of a long shot getting to the top 4 can be but folks from the playoffs already acknowledged it was possible in 2016, and I understand our schedule doesn’t start out like 16 but we won’t be coming out of nowhere like 2015 or UCF either.
If we start 3-0 we will be ranked in the top 20 maybe 15. Ed’s presence has Houston on the radar nationally but what could be an eye opener early would be what could be done to another Heisman hopeful in Khalil Tate.
Ultimately UCF’s problem was an unfortunate set of circumstances where they got a win against Maryland but the team had lost their QB that beat UT and they ended up tanking the season. The hurricane got their Georgia Tech game canceled then was replaced with Austin Peay and killed any momentum they could have built early in rankings therefore making it harder for them to get to the top10.
Obviously we would need help from TT and Ariz to do well, and there can be no more than 1 undefeated power 5. But after the noise UCF made with the ‘National Championship’ there’s a chance the next undefeated G5 with even mediocre p5 victories could be put in @ #4 simply to be made an example of to get blasted by Alabama. The benefit of coming from the AAC is we have had a number of teams ranked late in the season which could help climb rankings because we usually play those teams late. This theory only works if we run the table and win impressively early but if we have a defense that averages under 22pts a game for opponents, I think our offense will average 35+ points a game and that would put us in position if we run the table. And don’t forget the ‘we want to see the best football player in college football (EO)’ story line when the committee is making final rankings.

No, they said that had gone undefeated we might have a chance at the top 5. There is no way they would ever allow a G5 in the playoffs. The whole system is designed to keep the G5 down and the tv rights cheap enough to pay the outlandish amounts the P5 are paid.

3 Likes

if UH would have ran the table 2 seasons ago we definitely would have been a playoff team. wins vs OU and Louisville would make them consider us.

If we go 13-0, Tech goes 12-1, and Arizona goes 12-1…just saying…

1 Like

That’s pretty much exactly what I said. Are you agreeing with me?

you said “there is no way they would allow a g5 school in the playoffs”.

I was replying to your comment about Herman being a great recruiter.

And just to clarify, I said there’s no chance we would be in the playoffs THIS YEAR. It will take two years for any G5 to get in. I tend to agree if we hadn’t crapped the bed in 2016, we would gave been in with wins over OU and UL. But it took 13-1 and a Peach Bowl win the previous year to even be on the radar.

3 Likes

Despite your assertion, there is no definitive way to say that. No one knows. I would argue history would say that the CFP committee would have found a reason to exclude UH.

5 Likes

These were the comments from Bill Hancock, Executive Director of the College Football Playoff talking about UCF last year -

Hancock said he hears people say the system is unfair to the Group of 5 teams, “but I don’t buy it.”

“I don’t believe it,” he said. “Look no further than Houston. Everything was teed up for them, a good schedule, a good conference schedule, and I just disagree with those people.”

That’s easy for him to say now. They didn’t have to actually decide on it.

Either way, that was a perfect storm that likely won’t happen again. We finished in the top 10 the year before and just so happened to have 2 top 5 teams on the schedule the next year. It still didn’t matter given we didn’t go undefeated. The chances of all of that coming together (back to back top 10 + undefeated season + 2 top 5 teams on a G5 schedule) is slim to none.

6 Likes

And the committee knows that…They have an easy out every year…

2 Likes

We would’ve been there if we hadn’t humped up. :frowning:

By “humped up”…I trust you mean that we got “Hermanned” !!!

3 Likes

Even if UH is undefeated and wins every game by 30+ points, as a non P-5 program, I think that we would be overlooked for a playoff spot. Just sayin’

4 Likes

I agree. A G5 team would have to dominate like that for a few years to get a serious look. At some point, fans would have have to riot, imo. (a figure of speech for you literalists out there.)

3 Likes

We have fallen to 8th because of our lack of recruits. SMU is running away. I know it is a long way until signing day, but it is shorter now than when some of you have been comparing to previous years. The early signing day hurts if we leave summer this far behind.

Would you want to commit to a school that has a small but very loud minority of fans that have been calling for the coach to be fired since the second game of his first season?

2 Likes

You mean 90% of football teams? Aren’t there a % of fans of almost every team that want their coach fired? Baylor seems to be recruiting pretty well and a large % of their fans wanted him fired after game 1. Throw in a 1 win season and a rape scandal, and we can’t come close to that?

EDIT: and lets throw in a head coach with no TX ties as opposed to our favored coach

2 Likes