I still can’t believe

Looking at the replay he definitely tried to catch it but I don’t think we make it If the back does catch that ball on the fake. Blocking just wasn’t there.

Worse was the blocking on 3rd down before that. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

1 Like

Wham a team scores on every possession you go for it. They did not stop us.

Postma had to make some incredible throws. Because only 3 or 4 times did we throw across the middle. Sideline go routes, and 10 yard outs are difficult throws. Post routes, in routes and crossing routes are the easiest and when the LBs play up (like Tulsa and Memphis) it is the best way to make long gains.
Instead we make the QB throw either the easiest for no gain, or the hardest for minimal gains.

We stopped blitzing in the early part of the second half and let their QB get his confidence and rhythm. By the time we started blitzing again he was warmed up.

Applewhite plays not to lose. This is CFB, not HS. Teams can score in 60 seconds. You have to score more. Very frustrating.

Pray is nuts if he thinks putting on the 4th and 1 is a good call. What was required was some imaginative play calling. Oh, but we haven’t seen that all year.

Well, it was supposed to be a fake punt…is that imaginative enough.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/thecougarsports/status/921234518308110338

They went the length of the field in three plays the series before, Low Energy Applewhite. Everybody and their brother was thinking go ahead and just let them score so we would still have some time left on offense after that.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/921221864608768000

1 Like

Well, it wasn’t a fake punt.
How about a run pass option?
Again, we NEVER run Postma. Twice we called his number. The ends and lbs were crashing on the RB because even time it was a handoff. There were 6 to 8 times if Postma pulled the ball out he could have walked for 5 yards.

Turnovers are also part of coaching. Even under Levine we protected the ball. Postma letting the ball out when being tackled was inexcusable.

2 Likes

Its a dead pipe lock that Postma will turn the ball over at least twice each game.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Question is whether Postma is being told to handoff that much. Otherwise, that’s on Postma for not making the right read each time. I remember our former coach getting on Ward quite a bit about not making the right read over the past two years. If it is on the QB to make the read, my question would then be why is he making the wrong reads? Is he being coached properly, experience, or is it just poor decision-making by the individual?

I would have punted as well. If I had a Greg ward that would have been a different matter.

You’re right, it was a perfect storm of everything going wrong that caused us to lose. My point is you can’t control if Memphis qb gets hot, or your guy can’t control an interception to the ground, or your qb fumbles while he’s tackled. The one opportunity you had to dictate what you could control, you chose to surrender. We might still have lost the game if we went for it, I don’t know. But it was the one opportunity major had to seize control from Memphis, and he chose to be passive. If Postma doesn’t fumble. If Winchester’s interception is upheld. If Postma doesn’t throw an interception. If we get a stop. If, if, if, if. My point is, dont let if play a part. Dictate to the opponent, don’t passively hope for if.

6 Likes

I respect that.

1 Like

We weren’t getting to the qb when we did blitz and I think my old ass could put up numbers against this piss poor secondary. We had to play turnover free because I never trust this team to win a shootout because they are good for 2-3 turnovers each week and its been that way all season.

The piling on the OC is kinda weak to me because he is only running what Applewhite wants him to run just like when everyone was bitching about us running the dive over and over last year it was no different with Herman in charge.

The DC had a rep before he came here, but what is he really going to do with a one man pass rush and a terrible secondary.

This team isn’t as talented as some of you think they are and its showing on the field.

Applewhite is going to get three years unless we go 0-12 next year and he needs to get some players in here or it gets worse before it gets better.

1 Like

That is total horseshit. Don’t blame postma when the DC and defense had given up THIRTY FIVE BLEEPING POINTS up to that moment. Houston should not have been in the position. That “bend but dont break” zone defense just allows teams to march down the field. Spread the defense and get ONE yard. Game over after that first down. Instead he calls a punt and the defense just runs a zone and allows Memphis to march down for the win.

Even if we don’t get the first down, Memphis would have driven and scored and at least our team has a chance to score to win with all of our timeouts instead of punting.

2 Likes

Memphis had 3 timeouts and there was still 4 minutes left. Game wasn’t over if you get the first down.

I’m not putting it all on Postma. I’ve said in other threads that this was a complete breakdown in all phases of the game which is why we lost and that’s what I’m focusing on…not just one play that, in the end, probably didn’t matter.

1 Like

Special teams gave up 7

We scored 38 points. How did the offense part of the game plan fail? You know what did fail? Special teams. Pooch kick? Are you kidding me? Kick Six? WTF? Defense gives up 35 in one half? Penalties galore? Our secondary is garbage. They play 10 yds off the receiver when its 3rd and short. Memphis had wide open receivers running around all night.

3 Likes

Motivation makes you move mountains.
So we are up 17-0.
Memphis is about to kick the field goal.
We “ice” the kicker three times since we had three times out.
Kicker misses the kick.
We are all happy
Then think back about the Memphis Coach’s talk before they went into the locker room.
This was apparent on TV. He got his entire Team fired up by the message that we sent them. His entire Team was in a circle.
Was it a cheap shot on our side? Should we have done it? It worked so this was the right decision but was it?
When you deal with any Team bad or good the last thing that you want to do is give them extra motivation. There is always a fine line between winning the game and finishing the game. Right from the get go in the second half Memphis played with an “edge” They adjusted their offense at half time and we did not adjust our defense. They clearly neutralized our defense. How could this happen? Motivation friends moves mountains. Memphis regrouped and we clearly did not have a “second gear” on defense.
Before this game our offense was no existent but our defense played solid. Tonight we had a better offense but D’Onofrio did not have an answer to Memphis’s adjustments. How many games did Memphis play before us? You know the answer. Often they adjusted during these games…just like tonight.
Should we blame Postma? He turned the ball over three times. What kind of game did he play? 29/40, 315, 7.9 aver, 49yrds rushing, 1TD1int, 2 fumbles. So he played his best game but also had crucial turn overs.
It is crystal clear to me that this Team has talent but is not Coached to its full potential. We have played seven games but we have not had ONE SINGLE dominant game. Rice you might ask? We played one half when we all knew that we needed reps. This was then that future games are won. That is then that you add plays both on offense and defense. Instead we choose to lay off so we would not embarrass Rice. Now we are embarrassed. That is entirely on the Coaching staff. We all remember the difference between a Levine and a judas Coached Team. They had the same players but it looked as if it was two different Teams. This entire Coaching “mind set” or lack there off is highly concerning. To stay in the “mix” we need to win and have butts in the seats. This obviously won’t happen at the current rate.

3 Likes

I think you’re reading a little too much into the icing the kicker part, but everything else in your post is spot on. These coaches aren’t cutting mustard. Period.

3 Likes